News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• National Weather Service radar maps

Home Forums Outside the box The Junk Drawer National Weather Service radar maps

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

Been visiting the NWS site for many years- it’s been straightforward and easy to use.  Last December, they did a major revision of the radar displays- in general, a big upgrade, including showing portions of the local map shaded in various colors, apparently indicating various alerts.  But I haven’t been able to find a key to the specific meanings of the colors, including on their new tutorial, and posing that question to NWS customer service has not helped.

If any forum members using the NWS site can point me to this answer, I’d much appreciate it!

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Lounger

Sorry, we can not point you to a key to the meaning of the National Weather Service’s radar display. In fact, we have found the new radar map to be next to useless.

Our models are heavily dependent on the NWS’ temperature and storm related data. But we have found that the NWS’ radar maps are static and of little use in anticipating storm tracks and associated localized damage.

As a result, we are making greater use of AccuWeather.com’s   radar as a weather anticipation tool – particularly for power outages.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          PKCano
          Manager

Have you tried StormPulse.com?
          I started using them years ago when they were first starting up and their service was free (it’s not now). I now login through Linkedin (the only thing I use Linkedin for, and have no personal data on the Linkedin site).
          I think if you login on StormPulse directly, pay for their services, there is a substantial fee. But it may be available through a Linkedin account. If you have one, see if you can connect and take a look.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Chris Greaves
        AskWoody Plus

I too find the new NWS format confusing and hence useless to me.

I now use Ventusky and find it much more informative. I even plan when to light my little barbecue campfire by Ventusky.
        My bookmark link is customised for my location and a three-hourly periodic rainfall prediction.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=48.4;-53.1;5&l=rain-3h

The web page(desktop) version is much better for me than the Android smartphone ap.

As well, early on I received encouraging email support from the Ventusky crew.

Cheers
        Chris

Unless you're in a hurry, just wait.

Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Lounger

Wow, what a wonderful graphic.  Thank you.

I assume that you are based in the Maritimes.

Chris Greaves
          AskWoody Plus

Hi Kathy,

No, not the Maritimes but BONAVISTA! The centre of the known universe (grin!). Closer to The Azores than to Toronto. My lat/long is, of course, 48.4;-53.1.

Set desktop Ventusky to your location, then check out your jet stream at 300hPa/9,000m (attached image).

Cheers

Chris

Unless you're in a hurry, just wait.

Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Lounger

I’se The B’y that builds the boat and

I’se The B’y that sails her and

I’se The B’y that catches the fish and

Brings ’em home to Liza

Thanks for dredging up some good memories on an otherwise forgetful day. One of my students, when I was teaching in your part of the world, was Joey Smallwood, JR.

Lars220
        AskWoody Plus

I found a nws website that shows the colors, and meanings, but I am not sure if it only applies to the – Brownsville/Rio Grande Valley Website Map, someone with more weather experience than myself should review this and hopefully comment if this is nationwide (?)

Definitions of Colors on the National Weather Service
        What Do Those Map Colors Mean?
        Unlocking the Mystery of the Watch/Warning/Advisory Web Map

“Ever want to know how to interpret the color codes on the Watch Warning Advisory and Point/Click map that resides below the weather–at–a–glance graphics (“graphicasts”)? What follows is a comprehensive list of the color codes, associated text product codes, and the meaning of each watch, warning, advisory, and statement that we issue, …”

https://www.weather.gov/bro/mapcolors

Slowpoke47
          AskWoody Plus

This looks like just what I have been trying to find, and at first glance, the colors seem logical for what I see on my local map (southern RI) as well.  In any case, hard to imagine that NWS would go to the effort of using different colors for the same warnings from one map to another.

If I can’t figure out how to get this page from my currently bookmarked pages, I’ll save it separately.

I’ve looked at the other weather sites mentioned here, and I do prefer the NWS format.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

anonymous

For RI I find TV Channel 10 radar to be about as good as any. It’s reliable, interactive, updated at 5 minute intervals, and it appears to be based on a compilation of NWS radar station data and uses NWS color legend conventions.

https://turnto10.com/weather/radar

Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

When there are weather warnings on the map, you can click under the “all hazardous conditions” header under the search field on the left, and it will drop down a key for each of the colors. You can click the map icon (as I did in the screenshot) to get a key for all of the hazards on the screen at that moment, or you can select the pin icon to see all that are in effect for any point you have clicked on the map (in this case, near Slaughter Beach, Delaware):

Screenshot_20210721_140539

I know a lot of people don’t like it (there were a lot of performance issues previously, but I only saw them a few times, so I can’t say with certainty if they have been fixed yet), but I still find the revised NWS radar site to be quite good, and it’s my first stop for all weather radar viewing (even on mobile, where there are a zillion radar apps; I prefer the browser and the NWS site, though I use PCs 99% of the time).

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.4 User Edition)

Slowpoke47
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, I’ve used that dropdown but haven’t seen anything re colors in the warnings.  Today’s local map has no colors or warnings, but here’s a s/shot from a week or so- colors but no info.  This tab is set to open when opening Firefox, and sometimes opens with the black pin on the map and sometimes not.  I’ll go over the warnings etc. again next time there are any to see what if anything I missed.

This is eastern Long Island Sound, RI and CT shorelines to the north.

Screenshot-at-2021-07-16-13-50-241

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Ascaris
            AskWoody MVP

If you click on a location on the map, the little bit under the search field on the right should come up and give you the color code info. I just tried it and found that as you said, there was no key for the color codes until I clicked a location.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.4 User Edition)

Slowpoke47
              AskWoody Plus

Thanks, I’ll give that a try the next time my local map has colored warnings on it.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

You can also use https://www.yr.no/

I cloud also try to “promote” Windguru project, but their service is mostly paid. But they offer very detailed information including wind speed and direction – very usefull for sailors.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

SallyBrown
        AskWoody Plus

The default map shows radar base reflectivity, a complicated concept that takes water drop count, size, spacing, etc into account.  In practice, red is bad; purple, really bad; cyan, a vertical flood.  Add high winds and bye bye.  I live in tornado alley and we don’t ever want to see purple.  The units are dBZ, Z is reflectivity, which spans a few orders of magnitude, from mist to the heaviest rain so a color rendered log scale is easier to comprehend, similar to pH or sound intensity.

Lots of math:

https://training.weather.gov/nwstc/NEXRAD/RADAR/3-1.htm

Open the map, pick a station, hit the BREF.RAW dropdown and you’ll get a number of maps, most with easy to understand quantities.

I’m glad this map works well now, used to be slow and glitchy.

F A Kramer
        AskWoody Plus

I have tried several apps that draw upon the US Weather Service radar weather maps. Of them I have found that one called “MyRadar” provides the best visual rendering, and a nice suite of options and warnings. The ad-free version does cost a small amount. This one is available for Windows and Android and I suspect for Apple as well.

Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

Just heard back from NWS- they confirm what Ascaris said above and also sent a link to the color code key:  Weather.gov Help – Hazards Map

Many similar colors there- I’ll stick with Ascaris’ method.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

You can also use https://www.yr.no/%5B/quote%5D
        Thanks for the introduction to yr.no.

They also offer a good app in the App Store.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: National Weather Service radar maps

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.