News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Need a password manager

Posted on cellsee6 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Need a password manager

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 4 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author

cellsee6
      AskWoody Plus

I have a client who has 6 computers all running Windows 7 Pro in a peer to peer network (no server).  Firefox is the browser on all the computers.  The users have a habit of clicking on the “remember me” box because they do not want to type in the password to websites which require a log in.

I am not an expert on password managers.

Question:

What password manager would you choose for inexperienced computer users and why?

Thank you for your help.

• #2006604 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Roboform – I’ve tried others, especially when they moved to a subscription model, but keep on coming back to RF.  Support is good.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2006606 Reply

gpmartens1
      AskWoody Plus

I have used Roboform for probably 10 years, but also use and prefer Lastpass for it’s format, and it’s use on both a computer and on smartphones.  Also have used Dashlane a little.

• #2006814 Reply

JC Zorkoff
      AskWoody Plus

I like KeePass. I find it easy to use and flexible. Some commentators at PC Mag think it is too techie, but they don’t say what that means.

In choosing a Password Manager, you need to consider if sharing of the information among several computers (or users) is important. If it is, a cloud based manager like LastPass might be the best choice.

KeePass keeps it’s data in a file on the current computer. This makes sharing difficult.

This is the official website of KeePass, the free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager.

https://keepass.info/index.html

Also:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/

I hope this helps you choose.

• #2006836 Reply

Rhino
      AskWoody Plus

I have used Roboform for 20+ years. It does so much more than manage passwords. One feature, “Safe Notes”, can contain virtually unlimited  information you want to keep private. Another, “Identities” fills in those tedious Web forms with your personal info, always gets the right info in the right boxes. I wouldn’t be without it.

David

• #2007276 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

I would suggest you try a few of them yourself (they are free) and check what you and your users prefer. The ones mentioned here (Roboform, KeePass and LastPass) are all reputable, so you could try these. No doubt there will be other suggestions.

Personally I use LastPass. I never liked the KeePass interface and LP has the facilities that Rhino mentions.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2007858 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I would suggest you try a few of them yourself (they are free)

Well, many of them are either free or have a trial package. Some are free for private use but cost money to be used in a business context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_password_managers has a bit of incomplete list with some notes about prices. Though, it doesn’t at the moment mention Roboform at all.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2008040 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

deal today on roboform

https://www.bitsdujour.com/software/roboform-everywhere/in=todays-deals-home

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #2008109 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Take the five-year deal on RooboForm, I say, as a long-term satisfied user, no connection with the software publisher.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2008186 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

If they’re typical non-techie users – LastPass
      If they’re techies – KeePassXC (cross-platform, more frequently updated than KeePass which it is forked from)

LastPass is very good, but you have no control over where your data is stored – they hold it. KeePass, you can store the .kdbx file anywhere locally or in the cloud with any provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2008191 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… and then there’s Pass. Doesn’t do much by itself but with the right tools to go with it…

• #2008324 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

KeePassXC doesn’t have record level sync so you need to be careful if you use it on multiple devices.
        KeePass and KeePass2Android are the only products that sync correctly.

cheers, Paul

• #2008347 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

record level sync

… and this is one where you can get ahead with Pass (and compatible tools). That’s what I use.

It’s “just a bit” more technical though.

• #2008200 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

KeePassXC seems Interesting, but no Android support.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #2008236 Reply

zero2dash
        AskWoody Lounger

I use KeePass2Android, free from the Play store, in my S10e.

• #2008320 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

… indeed it doesn’t have to be the exact same product name on different devices as long as they’re compatible. The KeePass family has plenty of those.

• #2009108 Reply

Kranium
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve used RoboForm, KeePass, LastPass. I’ve stuck with LastPass. I’ve found it easier/quicker to use, and the free version has everything I need & liked from the competitors. It’s cloud-based, so works across platforms, but you can also download any/all of your data at any time, if you so desire. (good idea as a backup, just keep it encrypted, OFC!)

Group B for WIN7, Linux when I have to. ESU for free 'till 2023!

• #2011035 Reply

BTSAZ1989
      AskWoody Plus

Sorry to throw cold water on this party, but I am leery about password managers of any type for one good reason: I’ve had more than one large company decide to abandon support of their product on which I relied heavily, leaving me in the lurch! That’s bad enough when done by a company like Intuit (Medical Expense Manager; Home Inventory, and no longer supporting the adding of attachments in investment accounts within the account in Quicken; Cox Webmail, for example, and others), but if the password manager goes belly up or just gets bored, then what? If I store the file on my PC, I could lose it; if I store it in the cloud, it could disappear…

Edit: Pleaase stay on topic.

• #2011055 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I am leery about password managers of any type for one good reason: I’ve had more than one large company decide to abandon support of their product on which I relied heavily, leaving me in the lurch!

That actually is a major point in favor of open-source tools for this. Plenty of independently maintained open-source applications around that can read a .kdbx file, so KeePass and derivatives should be fairly safe in this regard. And open source means anyone else can pick up if one team quits.

And Pass… well with that one you don’t even technically need the special application to read the files, it’s just more convenient that way… and GPG encryption is common enough that application availability is unlikely to become a problem ever.

Losing your master key or the database itself is a valid problem scenario though. Nothing to it but to keep plenty of backup copies. Can’t help thinking that this is easier than with a paper notebook of passwords, too…

• #2011136 Reply

anonymous

I’ve used roboform for more years than I can remember. Never any issues

• #2011390 Reply

anonymous

Just to add another product.  I have used PasswordSafe for a long time.  It used to come up in this type of forum but I don’t see it so much anymore.  It has room for a large free format memo which I use extensively.  Drag and drop works with most web sites (but not some of the ones that prefill the boxes with words like UserID and Password).  Data is stored locally (at least on the version I use).  It does have some macro capability, primarily to deal with action caused by the enter key.  I don’t use this feature.

• #2011706 Reply

SteveG
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve been using eWallet for many years.  It’s a great product IMHO, and has versions for iOS and Android which I’ve used both of to enable syncing between my laptop and my phones.  Only down side from my experience is the AU$20 cost for Windows PC and AU$10 for Android and iOS versions, but gee, it saves a lot of hassles if you keep your password data up to date.  You can check it out here    https://www.iliumsoft.com/

BTW – I am in no way associated with the vendor, just a satisfied user.

• #2013499 Reply

anonymous

Interesting that no one has mentioned 1Password, which I have used for years successfully, and which received “Best Password Manager” from many tech sites.

• #2013599 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Maybe because it’s subscription based – minimum of $36pa.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Need a password manager

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.