News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Need opinions on laptop upgrade

Posted on CADesertRat Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Need opinions on laptop upgrade

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  CADesertRat 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

I have an HP ProBook 450 G2 laptop that started as W7 Pro and in 2015 I upgraded it to W10 Pro. It used to be pretty responsive after the W10 upgrade but as I accumulate more feature updates and cumulative updates it is getting more sluggish (mainly at bootup). I’m still on 1809 17763.805 right now.

Current specs: Intel core i7 5500u at 2.4 GHZ, memory 4GB x 2=7.97 GB + 32 MB video, a 500 GB SSHD.

I’m wondering if it’s worth it to max out the memory by replacing the memory with 16 GBย  ย  ย  (8 GBx2) and a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, or will I be just wasting money trying to get better bootups out of a 2.4 GHZ laptop.

Thanks

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does ๐Ÿ™‚
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #2012612 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Have you checked your startup programs? You can use Task Manager to disable unwanted startup programs.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2012634 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I’d definitely put a proper SSD in, but the real issue will be other software starting up, as Joe said.

cheers, Paul

• #2012647 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

It will absolutely make a noticeable difference to put in a SSD.ย  I’m using a 2.5 GHz notebook with a SSD (860 Evo 1TB M.2) right now, and it’s a much slower 2.5 than yours (Intel Pentium Silver N4200, a derivative of the famously slow Atom).ย  I bought a SSD in my 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo laptop too, and even with that old hardware (and only SATA 2), it was still a pretty huge improvement.ย  That SSD (850 Evo 1TB 2.5″) is now in my Dell G3.

That said, what the others said is right… if it is slower than it used to be, something’s changed, and whatever that is will slow you down on a SSD too.ย  It will be faster than now, but not as fast as it could be.ย  In my Windows days, I used to regularly go to the “run” keys (which I had bookmarked in registry editor) and clean out the cruft that accumulates in there.ย  It seems that every program wants to check for updates upon Windows start, and that can really slow things down when you get a bunch of them.

The startup tab in task manager will show the programs having the biggest performance hit on startup.ย  You can try disabling some or all and see if that helps.ย  If it is fixed, you’ve found the issue; if not, you know to keep looking.

I would also suggest running a disk check just to be certain it’s all working as intended, if you have not already.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.4).

• #2012728 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Yes, Startup would be the place to start looking. I only fire it up once a week (usually on Sunday) to charge it up and get all the MS reconfiguration files. I was looking at prices and actually it would be fairly cheap to do the upgrade I mentioned, crucial memory=$81.00, SSD=$58.00 so it’s not cost prohibitive but as everyone alludes to, I probably need to check startup and maybe look at Disk cleanup for the all the past WU stuff that is left behind.

• #2013532 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Interestingly, Startup programs didn’t look that bad and disk cleanup wouldn’t get more than 4 GB back. I guess my next step will be to add the SSD and max out the memory.

• #2013579 Reply

Michael Austin
        AskWoody Plus

On a 2015 Toshiba Satellite running Windows 8, with 8 GB RAM and a 750 GB, 5,400 RPM HD I just swapped in a 1 TB SSD for the spinning disc. Startup is massively faster and also an acceptable speed.

Professional propellerhead. Former builder & admin of the 1st mixed OS network at a premier gallery of vintage animation art in its cake days, including its 1st intranet and all its back office business systems. My LAN security implementations once successfully passed muster by subpoena from a CA Superior Court judge. Former Windows Secrets subscriber and also former, gleeful reader of InfoWorld when it was a tabloid print edition.

Earth spirit. Finance, social and tech founder.

• #2013687 Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

My ProBook originally came with a 5400 SSHD but I changed it to a 7200 SSHD. After the bootup it seems to be pretty quick but it seems to be getting slower and slower on bootup, especially after going to 1809 17763.805. Anyway, I think I’m getting the SSD and memory for Christmas ๐Ÿ™‚

• #2014155 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Why not put in the SSD and do a fresh install of Windows? You can always attach the old HDD externally to copy stuff.
      I don’t think going to 16 GB will help boot time IMO.

• #2014161 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Why not put in the SSD and do a fresh install of Windows? You can always attach the old HDD externally to copy stuff. I donโ€™t think going to 16 GB will help boot time IMO.

Your probably right about the memory but the SSD is what I am hoping will shorten the boot time. The memory will help after boot.

My plan is to clone the SSHD to the SSD and replace it. The SSD and memory are going to be gifts so I won’t be out any money on the upgrade so why not, LOL. If I’m not happy with the results, I will move on to another plan. The CPU is only a 2.4 GHZ so that could be part of the problem also.

I originally bought the laptop with W7 Pro to experiment with the (then) new W10 and I upgraded to W10 on 8/4/15. The laptop always booted up pretty quickly until I got to 1809.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  CADesertRat.
        • #2014171 Reply

Michael Austin
          AskWoody Plus

The laptop from which I’m typing this (at a restaurant) has an Intel i5 (four-core) processor running at 2.2 GHz on Windows 8.1 from 2015. It has a slower processor than yours and 8 GB RAM.

This is laptop on which I swapped (by myself) the 5,400 spinning disc for a Western Digital 1 TB SSD. Yes, the laptop had glacial startups before I changed the drive. But the drive solved all my problems, and in this case the memory was a non-issue. Yes, I’ve selected Delayed Start for my cloud storage app. But even that didn’t make the difference the SSD did. The SSD gives this box lickety-split startups that no one else had imagined. Including the mediocre-at-best techs of Geek Squad, or the very respectable, silver-back computer tech shop owner who opined that he didn’t know if the drive would solve my needs.

To create a disc image of the original drive I used EaseUS Disk Copy Pro to send the image to an external USB drive which is usually used for disc image backups on my desktop. Then I attached the external USB drive to my very fast desktop (with 32 GB of RAM and an 8-core Intel processor). I then wrote the clone to the new SSD. Then removed it and installed it into the laptop.

In nosing around I also found external SATA/IDE/USB interfaces which connect directly to USB ports for $20. With this I wiped some old drive using LapLink Safe Erase, including the 5,400 spinner ๐Ÿ™‚

The laptop booted fast on the very first try. No, I don’t usually run graphics-intensive programs on the laptop like Photoshop. But it still handles that just fine when I want it every once in a while.

Professional propellerhead. Former builder & admin of the 1st mixed OS network at a premier gallery of vintage animation art in its cake days, including its 1st intranet and all its back office business systems. My LAN security implementations once successfully passed muster by subpoena from a CA Superior Court judge. Former Windows Secrets subscriber and also former, gleeful reader of InfoWorld when it was a tabloid print edition.

• #2014181 Reply

CADesertRat
            AskWoody Plus

The laptop booted fast on the very first try. No, I donโ€™t usually run graphics-intensive programs on the laptop like Photoshop. But it still handles that just fine when I want it every once in a while.

That’s encouraging, hopefully mine will do the same. I do have an old copy of Photoshop on it but seldom use it.

To create a disc image of the original drive I used EaseUS Disk Copy Pro to send the image to an external USB drive which is usually used for disc image backups on my desktop. Then I attached the external USB drive to my very fast desktop (with 32 GB of RAM and an 8-core Intel processor). I then wrote the clone to the new SSD. Then removed it and installed it into the laptop.

Yes, that’s my plan but I use “Casper” for cloning. I’ve been using it since XP days and have version 8. So far (knock on wood) it hasn’t failed me. ๐Ÿ™‚

• #2014195 Reply

Michael Austin
      AskWoody Plus

The laptop booted fast on the very first try. No, I donโ€™t usually run graphics-intensive programs on the laptop like Photoshop. But it still handles that just fine when I want it every once in a while.

That’s encouraging, hopefully mine will do the same. I do have an old copy of Photoshop on it but seldom use it.

Yes, that’s my plan but I use “Casper” for cloning. I’ve been using it since XP days and have version 8. So far (knock on wood) it hasn’t failed me. ๐Ÿ™‚

From a cold boot, it takes around 8 seconds to get to my laptop’s Windows log-on. The Task Manager Startup tab shows 2.7 seconds BIOS time.

Moment boot into Windows here’s a snap of Task Manager status ๐Ÿ™‚

Given your Ask Woody user name you might find the company I co-founded to be interesting:ย  HardshellLabs.com.

Attachments:
      • #2014210 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Hopefully my boot times will be as good. They are nowhere near that presently.

Given your Ask Woody user name you might find the company I co-founded to be interesting:ย  HardshellLabs.com.

Very perceptive. I deal with the Ravens constantly as I live surrounded on 3 sides by a Pistachio orchard. They use Propane canons and predator calls during the time the nuts get ripened and harvesting time. Between the Ravens, noise pollution, and the leaves at this time of year clogging up my fence line and access gates, it’s quite an adventure to say the least.

• #2014213 Reply

Michael Austin
          AskWoody Plus

K. Do you own the orchard or does someone else? You could also PM me through the Ask Woody interface, right?

Hardshell’s founder, Tim, and I have known each other since Summer school high school biology in 1969:ย  https://www.audubon.org/magazine/march-april-2016/meet-bird-brainiacs-common-raven

• #2014215 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

This is starting to go off topic but to answer your question, no I don’t own the orchard. They bought the land around this property and expanded.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Need opinions on laptop upgrade

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.