News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Need Recommendation for the Best Way to Copy and Re-number Files

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Need Recommendation for the Best Way to Copy and Re-number Files

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

Hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I have a bunch of files that were created (and more will continue to be created) and put in their own folders on different days. Each time they were created, they were numbered 001 through whatever. The number of files in each folder varies, so in one folder they might be 001 through 008, and in another one they might be 001 through 036, and in another they might be 001 through 008 again.

What I’d like to do is copy some (but not all) files from each folder to a new folder, and then renumber the copied files in sequence from 0001 to whatever the highest number is, which will of course increase in the future, as more files are added.

Right now, if I copy the first file named “001” into the new folder, and then try to copy another one also named “001” into it, Windows pops up a “Replace or Skip Files” box, which requires me to click “Compare info for both files”, check two boxes and then hit the Continue button, which leaves me with two files, one named “001” and the other “001 (2)”.

I have two issues with that. First, it’s an extremely time-consuming way to proceed with numerous files. Second, once the files I’m interested in have been copied to the new folder, I still need a way to renumber them, so that everything is in the numerical sequence, 0001, 0002, etc. (It’s not relevant to me which are renamed which, since I’m not going to use the files in the new folder in the same way that I’ve been using them in the original folders; I just need the files to be named in numerical order).

Can anyone suggest the best way I can go about accomplishing this? I’m guessing, but wouldn’t know, that Windows doesn’t have a native way to do this, but I’m willing to be pleasantly surprised. If a third party program is required, it doesn’t have to be free. I don’t mind paying for whatever program will do the job as simply and efficiently as possible, though I don’t want to pay a premium for some high-powered thing just so it’s capable of doing other tasks for which I’m never going to have any need.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I don’t know of any existing program that will do it, but you can do this in PowerShell.
        Basically, you read the numbers of the files in the destination to give you the new starting number, then move the required files into the destination, renaming as you go.

Someone here with a bit of spare time may have a go at it for you.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
          BobStr
          AskWoody Plus

Using the PowerShell is above my head, but thanks for the suggestion.

The issue is solved, though, per my response to Alex5723.

Thanks again.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You need a re-namer app (there are plenty) to rename/renumber the files after each copy.

BobStr
          AskWoody Plus

Bulk Rename Utility, which is at the top of the list of programs that your link led to, takes care of the second part of my question (about how to rename everything once it’s in the destination folder)

As for the first part of my question – how to get everything into the destination folder in the first place, without having to proceed item-by-item – I realize now that I asked the question only because I was inattentive.

Turns out I had managed not to notice that when I try to copy multiple files from one folder to another, although the pop-up has an option for “Let me decide for each file”, when I click that option, the very top of the next pop-up has boxes I can check to keep all versions of files that have the same names. (See the attachment.) My mistake was that, based on the reference to “each file,” I had quickly assumed that I had to proceed down the list, file-by-file, in or to accomplish the transfer. But not so. Checking the boxes at the top of the pop-up does everything at once.

So apologies for asking a question, half of which was pointless. And thanks for the link to the renaming utilities, which takes care of the entire matter.

Attachments:
        RichardJ
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been using Advanced Renamer (https://www.advancedrenamer.com/)  for many years to catalogue photos amongst other things, It’s powerful and easy to use, even allows you to correct spellings!

KB6OJS
        AskWoody Plus

I will happily second (third? fourth?) the recommendation for Bulk Rename Utility.  I’ve been using this applications for years with great success.  It’s extremely versatile and capable of a wide number of rename options: pre-pending or appending text to the filename, adding info, extensive search-and-replace options, etc.  It’s totally free, and well worth checking out even if you’re skeptical.

//Steve//

txlafftml
        AskWoody Plus

There is a very easy to do what BobStr wants to do using Win10 File Explorer.

First select a series of files to be renamed either the Shift key for consecitive file or the Ctrl key for select a series of ramdom spaced files. Then with the mouse pointer on the first selected file, right click and click on rename. Then choose a name, maybe STUFF and hit the enter key and all the files will be rename STUFF(1), STUFF(2), etc. I think you can even statr numbering sequence by choosing the rename to be STUFF(101) or what ever.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Need Recommendation for the Best Way to Copy and Re-number Files

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.