News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Need to change email id, ugh! Looking for help on how best to do that

Posted on dmt_3904 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Questions: Microsoft Office Need to change email id, ugh! Looking for help on how best to do that

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        dmt_3904
        AskWoody Plus

I use MS365, Outlook on laptop and IOS Mail app on ipad & iphone. My email id is over 15 years old and has been pwned (getting lots of junk and a few attempts at MS Account logon, I have strong passwords). I want to create a new email id to be used for email only and create ‘disposable’ email id(s) for all online accounts.  What is the best, easiest, least painful way to this?

Outlook Email alias – MS allows creation of aliases, but all aliases can logon, which would include my corrupted email. Can I prevent logons to current email id? This will only work if I can prevent MS Account logons to current email. I can update my email id in all of my accounts and send out notifications. I want to eventually delete my old id.  Once I create new alias for email, I have to logout of all MS accounts and log back in – and monitor/update everyone.  Then create 2nd alias for accounts – make all updates there (or create new accts if they don’t allow email id change).

What about FF Relay? Or I read about Addressing Plus, but what I don’t like about it is it’s a suffix on your regular email id, which is very easy for the bad guys to figure out and I am trying to hide my email id – and use it for only email while using burner email id(s) for all accounts.

Or just create a new email id? – it would have to be outlook.com. And I’d have to figure out how to migrate current id.

Once I create new email, how do I best migrate mail over? I can add it to Outlook on my laptop and move everything over that way, I think.

Also once I start using ‘disposable’ id’s, what happens when that is compromised? Do I have to go through all this again, create a new one and update all my accounts? Breaches are rampant now, so I think it is only a matter of time b4 new email is breached, but at least I can try to protect my primary email id, to be used for email only.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You can create a new mail anywhere you like, but you can’t migrate.
        All you can do is tell people to use your new email address and continue using the old email to check for people you missed. Never send from the old address.
        Eventually you will be able to delete the old address.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
          dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

I was thinking if I create an alias on my MS account, I could migrate that way. I could create an alias and use that on all my online accounts – changing the current email.  Then, create a 2nd alias, make that the primary on MS and use just for login, block logins from current email id.  I hope that would stop login attempts, provide some protection for future breaches (by using an alias). It would allow me to keep my email id, but slowly migrate to new alias account, then eventually delete current email.

If the alias for online accounts gets compromised, I could create another one.  Does this make sense?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Nothing will stop login attempts, script kiddies are relentless.

I don’t know how aliases work on MS so I can’t advise.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Need to change email id, ugh! Looking for help on how best to do that

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.