News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Need user-friendly update strategy

Posted on Slowpoke47 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Need user-friendly update strategy

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MW 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Non-tech user, two machines running W7 HP x64.  Group B user.  Previously been updating conscientiously using Susan Bradley’s advice.  A thread started on July 10 by PKCano has alerted us that the security-only update KB4507456 includes telemetry back to MS.  I have installed no updates since then out of privacy concerns.  .Looking for a way forward that is understandable to a non-tech such as myself and avoids the intrusion by MS.

I am staying away from Windows 10 in large part due to those same privacy concerns and working on a switch to Linux which I’ll use for Internet purposes while retaining W7 local programs that are currently in our machines.  I have also eliminated any shred of Google for the same reason, and never even started with any of the social media.

Any suggestions?

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1943930 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Hello @Slowpoke47-

1. Continue with Group B updating, having skipped the July update that has telemetry parts in it? You will miss the other updates that were included in July’s Security update… but none seem to be critical or important at this point.
      2. Move to Group A, allowing the telemetry to be installed, and then mitigating it as described in AKB 2000012 Neutralize Telemetry and Sustain Win 7, 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model.
      3. Follow @CanadianTech and join Group W (no updating)… I (Elly) can’t help but wonder how many of the updates are related to fixing issues introduced by telemetry, especially since @CanadianTech’s group are experiencing far fewer (ie-no issues) than those who have continued updating.

Non-techy here, but in assessing the various risks as applied to me, I have moved from Group B to Group W. It is a lot less stressful… and no problems experienced so far. But there is no guarantee that will continue, no matter which choice is made. Back up your data, and be prepared to restore, or move on to Linux, should problems develop.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1943973 Reply

Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

Hello @Slowpoke47-

1. Continue with Group B updating, having skipped the July update that has telemetry parts in it? You will miss the other updates that were included in July’s Security update… but none seem to be critical or important at this point.
        2. Move to Group A, allowing the telemetry to be installed, and then mitigating it as described in AKB 2000012 Neutralize Telemetry and Sustain Win 7, 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model.
        3. Follow @CanadianTech and join Group W (no updating)… I (Elly) can’t help but wonder how many of the updates are related to fixing issues introduced by telemetry, especially since @CanadianTech’s group are experiencing far fewer (ie-no issues) than those who have continued updating.

Non-techy here, but in assessing the various risks as applied to me, I have moved from Group B to Group W. It is a lot less stressful… and no problems experienced so far. But there is no guarantee that will continue, no matter which choice is made. Back up your data, and be prepared to restore, or move on to Linux, should problems develop.

Thanks for the response.

I back up weekly, been doing so for many years.  The move to Linux is a given, planning to use Mint Cinnamon on a new blank hard drive already installed in the computer.  Had to take a hiatus from that effort a couple of months ago for some minor surgery but expect to be back to the Linux install shortly.

Hoping to wind up with a dual-boot setup which runs the Mint OS but keeps the option to run local programs already in use on W7 as some of them are not compatible with Mint.  My thinking (right or wrong?) is that if I stay off the Internet via W7 that I will no longer need MS updates.

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1944085 Reply

MW
      AskWoody Plus

My thinking (right or wrong?) is that if I stay off the Internet via W7 that I will no longer need MS updates.

Don’t fall for the fear mongering.  I have been Group W since 2017.  The sky hasn’t fallen nor has the boogie man gotten me.

I don’t have Java or anything Adobe on my machines.

I keep my USB and other removable drives monogamous to my machines.

I do not plug my android phone into my machines.

I use Waterfox/Firefox with uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere and CSS Exfill Protection.  Along with some security and privacy tweeks in about:config.

I don’t click on every flashing shiny thing on the internet.

I don’t download from or even visit sketchy sites.

W7 & W8.1 - Group W (since April 2017)
      Mac Sierra & Mojave - Group A
      Mint Cinnamon - Group A

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  MW.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1944838 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

My thinking (right or wrong?) is that if I stay off the Internet via W7 that I will no longer need MS updates.

Don’t fall for the fear mongering.  I have been Group W since 2017.  The sky hasn’t fallen nor has the boogie man gotten me.

I don’t have Java or anything Adobe on my machines.

I keep my USB and other removable drives monogamous to my machines.

I do not plug my android phone into my machines.

I use Waterfox/Firefox with uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere and CSS Exfill Protection.  Along with some security and privacy tweeks in about:config.

I don’t click on every flashing shiny thing on the internet.

I don’t download from or even visit sketchy sites.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  MW.

Thanks for the comment.

Our configuration and practices just about mirror yours, the only exception being that I haven’t found a substitute for Adobe Flash for running animations.  Still looking for an alternate.

Along with some security and privacy tweeks in about:config.

Can you elaborate on this?

This link may be of interest for avoiding Google:

Alternatives to Google Products (Complete List) | Restore Privacy

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1945978 Reply

MW
      AskWoody Plus

MW wrote: Along with some security and privacy tweeks in about:config.

Can you elaborate on this?

I use ghacks user.js at Github as a reference.

https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js

W7 & W8.1 - Group W (since April 2017)
      Mac Sierra & Mojave - Group A
      Mint Cinnamon - Group A

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  MW.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Need user-friendly update strategy

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.