News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Need usserChrome.css file to “Email a link to this page”

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Need usserChrome.css file to “Email a link to this page”

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        JohnDohe
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi!
        I need a keyboard shortcut to “Email a link to this pageImage in Firefox 88.0, Win10Pro pc.

I know I can do an ” ‘Alt+F‘ then ‘E‘ ” but even this is one more keystroke than I care to do
        and I find it to be something of an uncomfortable combination to do with my fingers.
        Clumsy I am . . .

And having to take my hand off the keyboard, get my mouse, mouse up to the
        Email a link to this page” icon Image, click it, and then put my hand back onto
        the keyboard and re-position my fingers is too tedious for me.
        Picky I am . . .

I want to just type a 2-key combination and have the “Email a link to this page
        extension (that is now in my Firefox toolbar) behave as though it was mouse-clicked
        and open my GMail tab, so I can fill in my recipient, Subject, body, etc and send it.
        Lazy I am . . .

I can do this in my Mac:
        System Preference > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > click the “+”
        and I created the key combination of Alt+V to do exactly what
        I described above. Works perfectly.
        Clever (sometimes) I am . . .

In another forum it was suggested that a usserChrome.css file could achieve
        this, however, not being a coder this is above my pay grade!
        Dumb I am . . .

Can anyone develop the usserChrome.css file that will accomplish this and provide
        instructions (in excruciating detail!) that I can follow to install into my pc running
        Windows 10 Pro and Firefox 88.0 ?
        Pleading I am . . .

Many, many Thanks!

Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

the person suggesting that to you misunderstood what userChrome.css can do. It cannot change or create key bindings.

I am not sure if it is possible to change or add key bindings in Firefox anymore. It would take an addon of some form to do that.

Alternately, you can create a shortcut similar to how you did it on the Mac. In Windows, I would have used AutoHotKey for this when I used Windows… it would be possible to create a hotkey using whatever key combo to send Alt-F and E. I had a standard AHK file that I put all of my custom hotkeys into and just had that run at bootup, so they were always available.

In KDE Plasma (not that you asked, heh), it is possible to do this within the OS itself, as with the Mac, so no additional program is needed. I don’t think Windows has this ability natively, but the last version I used as a real OS was 8.1.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.0 User Edition)

JohnDohe
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks!

Where can I get AutoHotKey ?

And, do you still have your “standard AHK file” that you’d be willing to share?

Best regards!

Ascaris
            AskWoody MVP

You can download that from:

https://www.autohotkey.com/download/

It is a popular and well-known program for hotkeys and a lot more.

The standard AHK file I used was the definitions for hotkeys that were useful to me, but wouldn’t necessarily be outside of that context. It’s not on the PC I am using now, since I never had Windows on this one, but I looked it up on the site above (I used to write AHK scripts all the time, but it’s been a while, so I wasn’t certain on the syntax anymore), and I think this should work for your case:

!v::!fn

should do what you need, though I haven’t tested it.

! means to simulate pressing alt along with the character that follows, so !v means Alt-v. The double colon means that what follows is the new definition. !f is Alt-f, and n is itself.

If you put that line in a text file and called it something.ahk, it would use AHK to run that file if you double clicked the icon for the .ahk file. Autohotkey would show an icon in your taskbar (it was a green H when I used it… it is probably the same, but it’s been a few years, so I can’t be sure), indicating that it is active and waiting for the Alt-v to be pressed. You can right click the icon to pause it or close it.

I set that to auto-run each time Windows started, so it was always active.

You can add more stuff to that file too. The Autohotkey site has a tutorial on the syntax. It also has a record function, so you can just press the things you want it to do, then edit that file as you wish.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.0 User Edition)

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

In Firefox, if you are wanting a 2 key solution to open your default email program in a new message with link of the page you are on, first, install this Addon:

Email link to this page

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/send-link-from-context-menu/

This will add ‘Email link to this page’ to the R/click menu of a page:

In a web page, press the Menu key:

. . . . . then the E key to open up the default email program > new msg > Subject of web page > with link in msg body.

JohnDohe
          AskWoody Lounger

Hi,

Thanks for that addon-extension and the tip to use the keyboard’s Menu key plus E

to call the default email app etc.

This worked.

However, I would like to be able to customize the key sequence to be “Alt+v“.

Got a way to do this?

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Need usserChrome.css file to “Email a link to this page”

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.