News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • .NET Framework – Which Updates to Install

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 .NET Framework – Which Updates to Install

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 4 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

In Windows 7, I would only install Cumulative Updates for .NET Framework if they were checked. These updates just appear in Windows 10 Pro ver 1809. Should I always install these?

• #1998465 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

There aren’t checked or uncheckde updates in Win10. The updates are just offered by Windows Update, or they are not offered.

Generally, .NET updates are OK to install. But on the rare occasion there is a problem with one, we will usually have information on it here.
      In that case, you can use wushowhide.diagcab to hide the update.

• #1999586 Reply

anonymous

So, the October Win 7 .NET update is safe to install? It came unchecked in the optional list. I normally only install .NET updates when they come in the important list.

• #1999613 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

We don’t recommend installing UNCHECKED OPTIONAL updates in Win7/8.1.
          When we talk about installing updates in Win7/8.1, it implies CHECKED IMPORTANT patches ONLY.

• #2000985 Reply

anonymous

Alright, I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing all this time then. Only install .NET updates when in important list.

It was because of this phrase “Generally, .NET updates are OK to install” I thought that perhaps an exception could be made.

Thanks

• #1999857 Reply

anonymous

I had installed all updates except for the .NET Framework before I started this topic. Per your reply, PKCano, I went back to install the .NET Framework updates. I follow your instructions for clearing the update queue, but I’d like a few clarifications please.

When you indicate open Services, highlight Windows Update Service and set to Disable first and then Manual later – the only option I have is to stop the service (Win 10 Pro ver 1809). After hiding or unhiding the desired updates, the second run of wushowhide indicates there are no updates when I check either the Hide Updates or Show Hidden Updates options. From there, I open Settings/Update and Security and it indicates You’re Up To Date – it does not show the .NET Framework update I am trying to install. In the past, I  have gone back a day later and the updates I want to install suddenly appear in Settings/Update and Security. Am I doing something incorrectly or out of order?

Thanks.

• #1999863 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

The computer will search for updates after you clear the queue. But sometimes it can take up to 36 hours for it to search again.

Check this series of four posts to verify what I’m saying.

• #2002774 Reply

anonymous

Update – I cleared the queue in order to install .Net Framework updates on 11/5 after my previous post. The computer did not search for updates until today – 11/10, so it can take considerably longer than 36 hrs.

Thanks, again, for the help.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: .NET Framework – Which Updates to Install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel