News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Network Adapter Speed regarding

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Network Adapter Speed regarding

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jabeattyauditor 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

anonymous

This is regarding network adapter speed.

My PC is Dell xps 8300, with 16GB RAM and 1TB Hard disk, running windows 10 pro version 1909, Osbuild 18363.592.
      I was using a internet connection with 100Mbps speed (speed test shows consistently around 94 Mbps down load speed)and recently opted for 175 Mbps speed.
      When I checked the net speed from website like speed test Okla it showed only around 94 Mbps download speed.
      I came to know from ISP’s tech support that My PC’s network adapter is Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet & supports upto 1Gbps speed.
      The adapter’s network status shows speed as 1Gbps.
      ISP’s tech support advised to change the router TL-WR840N of which ethernet ports supports only 100 Mbps,which I was using.

So I changed the router to TP-Link archer c6 gigabit router.
      Now I am getting net speed of nearly 175 Mbps. All connections to ethernet ports are using CAT 6 ethernet cables.

My question is when I checked the menu network adapter properties ->advanced -> configuration->in the dropdown menu ‘speed & duplex’ it showed the following selections Auto negotiation, 10 Mbps Full duplex,10Mbps Half Duplex,100 Mbps Full Duplex, 100 Mbps Half Duplex, with Auto Negotiation as default.
      It is not showing any entry as 1Gbps Full or Half Duplex.

Kindly advise
      kasinath

• #2100098 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

My question is when I checked the menu network adapter properties ->advanced -> configuration->in the dropdown menu ‘speed & duplex’ it showed the following selections Auto negotiation, 10 Mbps Full duplex,10Mbps Half Duplex,100 Mbps Full Duplex, 100 Mbps Half Duplex, with Auto Negotiation as default.
      It is not showing any entry as 1Gbps Full or Half Duplex.

I think it doesn’t show the 1GBps as you don’t have a 1Gbps connection.

My laptop has a Realtek PCIe GBe card, a Technocolor DGA2232 1Gb router connect with 1Gb Fiber connection.

Attachments:
    • #2100105 Reply

satrow
      AskWoody MVP

It might be that another wired device on your network has only a 100Mbps card.

• #2100127 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

If you’re getting a tested throughput of 175 Mbps at your connected PC, you’re connecting to your router at 1gb. Your NIC may not support *locking* the rate at 1gb, but the auto-negotiate option seems to be working for you.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Network Adapter Speed regarding

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.