News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Network icon greyed out and not accessible on Windows 20H2

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Network icon greyed out and not accessible on Windows 20H2

Topic Resolution: Not Resolved
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        blueman90219
        AskWoody Plus

About a week ago my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 i3 3217U, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, V.20H2, Os build 19042.867) did an update of something (not able to discern just what). Since that time the wifi network icon on the taskbar has disappeared. In System Icon settings it is greyed out and not able to be accessed.

Image-1

I have tried restoring to a previous time but that did not work. There is a work around – when I click on the notification icon (bottom right hand corner of taskbar) I am able to select the Network icon and then see what wifi networks are available.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Is there a solution which does not involve resetting Windows?

Attachments:
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Maybe you used group policy to remove the icon?
        https://admx.help/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.TaskBar2::HideSCANetwork

cheers, Paul

edited link so it works

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Paul T.
          blueman90219
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the link. Used the information. The Dword entry was  not in the registry so it was added then machine turned off and restarted. Adding the policy entry did not work. Still do not have the Network icon visible on Taskbar/Notification area.

b
            AskWoody MVP

If you left it there, does it now have a value of 0?

(1 there would ensure you never get the icon back.)

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

blueman90219
              AskWoody Plus

Yep, have checked that the entryis still there, and yes, the value is set to zero.

HideSCANNetwork

Attachments:
                RockE
                AskWoody Plus

Should it be HideSCANetwork insteaqd of HideSCANNetwork?

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
                - - - - -
                Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

b
                AskWoody MVP

Yep, well spotted.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                blueman90219
                AskWoody Plus

Aaargh, yes, it’s meant to be with the NN.

I did double check and corrected the policy entry. Restarted the machine but still no joy.

HideScanNetwork-1

No-Network-icon-on-taskbar

Attachments:
                b
                AskWoody MVP

Without the NN, but you got it!

blueman90219
                AskWoody Plus

Yeah, thanks again. Getting dyslexic.

b
                AskWoody MVP

Just realized that same key can also be used under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to affect all users:

Remove the networking icon

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger
          blueman90219
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks Moonshine for the link. Checked it out and followed all the solutions offered by the various contributors BUT no luck. Network icon is still greyed out and not available on the Taskbar/Notification area.

anonymous

If the other suggestions don’t work, try resetting the network in Settings and/or rebooting your wireless router.  Also, this is dumb, be sure Airplane Mode isn’t turned on.  Updates have a tendency to turn off services you need and turn on ones you’d never want, too.

Have been trying to get DNS over TLS working reliably in our router and ran into every networking problem I’ve ever seen in the process, yours being one of them.

Not sure DoT is ready for prime time yet, works for a few hours or a few days, then fails, some times one network device, sometimes all.  It’s disabled now.

blueman90219
          AskWoody Plus

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I have reset the settings, deleted the adapter and reinstalled (a couple of times), and rebooted the router. All to no avail. And yes, I checked that airplane mode was NOT TURNED ON. So far nothing has worked, but at least I don’t have to reset Windows as I do have wireless connection and still able to do things.

Sorry, not familiar with DoT – can you provide info?

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Do you manage your connection via native Windows tools, or do you use some other 3rd party SW from OEM distributor? Like Intel Wireless PRO or something..

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

blueman90219
          AskWoody Plus

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I use native Windows protocols for wifi and internet connection. Never felt the need to go 3rd party.

Currently the wifi adapter is Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) (original equipment). As far as I am aware I have the lastest Dell equipment updates.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

OK, I was thinking if some 3rd party SW did not override your actual settings. Nevermind.

I cant see, if you tried to roll back your driver (via the device manager)?

Press Win+X -> select Device Manager.
        Then rightclick your Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) in the network devices section (my screenshot is just example, find the correct one on your PC).
        Then you should see this window.
        Go to driver tab and see, if yuo can click the “Roll back driver” or is it grayed out?

roll

Attachments:
          blueman90219
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the info. I did have a look at the adapter before and the option to Roll Back is greyed out.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

OK, so there was no driver changed recently.
            You can try completely remove the device (rightclick the device and select “Uninstall”), restart computer and see, what happens. Drivers should be reinstalled again completely after your Windows boots againg. If that does not help, then we can try to find different drivers, or try some “3rd party SW” to manage your WiFi – for example Dell Wirelesss PROset. Updating from Dell website is also an option.

I looked for some other drivers, for Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz), there are some older from year 2015, it can be worth trying. Link here.

We must not forget about the option, that your HW is malfunctioning. Afterwards, if this does not help, lets look into Windows logs for errors.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Network icon greyed out and not accessible on Windows 20H2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.