News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Networking for novices

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Fegelein
        AskWoody Plus

I’m working with a contractor who is at a remote site. I want to give her complete read/write access to certain folders but none others. She also needs to execute the matching applications (Quickbooks and Quicken) elsewhere on my computer (Windows 10 Pro for Workstations). It would be best if she and I could operate simultaneously, but if need be we can operate in shifts.

She is familiar with Taskview, me less so. My reluctance to use taskview is that I do not see how to restrict her access to just certain files.

I have tried to share Windows folders, but of course she has no Internet access to my folders on my computer at all.

I’m at a standstill–can anybody help?

Susan Bradley
        Manager

Set up a second user account on this computer and set up NTFS permissions so that her user account is set to “deny” rights to the folders you don’t want her in.  You can’t have multiple users in on the same workstation (and be legal) in Windows 10. It’s not a multi/terminal server able workstation license.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Fegelein
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Susan, and let me first say how much I’ve appreciated your various updates over the years.

As to my current problem, I think I’ve set up my computer the way you described (legally). Now what? What does she do to access her folders? Where does she find them? Will some browser function do it? I’m a complete novice. Should I hire somebody to take care of this?

Thanks again.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

The other way you can do it – and it may be safer – is to get a cheap business quality refurb desktop from Amazon (HP business quality with SSD for $300).  Stick it on the network and it can be headless.  You then give her access to that machine and then share from your computer the folders and only those folders you want her computer/user account to have access to.  Dual logging into different accounts on your computer is going to be awkward.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Networking for novices

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.