News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New 1909 Install – best way to manually apply security updates?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update New 1909 Install – best way to manually apply security updates?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Very sorry if I’m just missing it somewhere but I wondered if anyone has a link to such a procedure.

Also, in said new install, there is no option at the expected location for “Select the target Feature Update version” (to prevent an unwanted update to later version). Any ideas?

Thanks!

PKCano
        Manager

You can download the updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog for manual install. Enter the numerical KB number without the “KB.” Be sure you get the right version and the right bittage (32-bit=x86, 64-bit=x64)

Information on Windows Update Settings, including TargetReleaseVersion are forud here:
        AKB2000016 Guide for Windows Update Settings for Win10.

anonymous

Thanks for the link to the update catalog. I guess I had wondered if there were any caveats to that. I’m recently returning to Windows after quite a while without it. Didn’t know if there is a cumulative bundle that includes all security/bug fixes for a given version or some such. I guess I’ll just dig around in the catalog.

The TargetReleaseVersion setting does not exist in my registry and the associated group policy setting (from my original message) is also absent. Is there some condition perhaps that is necessary to get it to show up in a new install, or something that causes it to be hidden? I have an activated Win 10 Pro license.

Thanks!

PKCano
            Manager

See Section 3 of AKB2000016, then scroll down to the screenshots below and find where the TargetReleaseVersion settings are for v2004. It should be in the same place in v1909 Pro if you are up to date with patches.

anonymous

Thanks a bunch and some more, PK! I like the elegance of your recommended section 4 settings (instead of TargetReleaseVersion) and have adopted that approach. (Not before being bitten by ‘resuming’ after an inadvertent ‘pause’, though…hooray Win 10).

Thanks again!

anonymous

Is there any way to uninstall KB4023057 after aforementioned accidental pause/resume?

PKCano
          Manager

KB4023057 installs itself as an App instead of an Update. Look in Settings\Apps or in the Control Panel\Programs & Features. You can uninstall it from there.
          The Support page for KB4023057 says:

Notes about this update

• This update may request your device to stay awake longer to enable installation of updates.

Note The installation will respect any user-configured sleep configurations and also your “active hours” when you use your device the most.

• This update may try to reset network settings if problems are detected, and it will clean up registry keys that may be preventing updates from being installed successfully.

• This update may repair disabled or corrupted Windows operating system components that determine the applicability of updates to your version of Windows 10.

• This update may compress files in your user profile directory to help free up enough disk space to install important updates.

• This update may reset the Windows Update database to repair the problems that could prevent updates from installing successfully. Therefore, you may see that your Windows Update history was cleared.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New 1909 Install – best way to manually apply security updates?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.