News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New AskWoody Knowledge Base article: How to rip audio CDs, reliably and at highest quality

Home Forums AskWoody blog New AskWoody Knowledge Base article: How to rip audio CDs, reliably and at highest quality

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

@NetDef has come up with a tour de force – the most thorough guide I’ve seen to ripping audio CDs. He takes you through every step, in meticulous deta
        [See the full post at: New AskWoody Knowledge Base article: How to rip audio CDs, reliably and at highest quality]

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2278897 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

I’m still using Windows Media Player, it’s already installed.  I set my destination folder years ago.  Just open Windows Media Player, insert a CD, set ripping presets to .flac, rip automatically and eject after ripping.  It preserves all the metadata as well as the album art.  A bunch of CD’s can be ripped in fairly short order.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2278937 Reply
          NetDef
          AskWoody_MVP

WMP is very good (most of the time) at automatically finding and applying metadata for our libraries.  I used it for a while too.  One feature where WMP especially used to excel was in finding and applying Album cover art to display while playing.  (A topic by the way that I will be addressing “soon(tm)”  in the KB article.)

And I still think WMP may be the best tool for many people, with the least amount of hassle.

I presented an alternate method because what WMP lacks is fine tuned control of how the structure of your libraries are created and managed — and a properly maintained structure makes your library MUCH more useful when you want to play your library on other devices other than your PC.

Also, you know, choice.  🙂

But . . . The number of misses in recent years, where entirely wrong metadata was applied in WMP has risen quite a bit.  Now this hasn’t been a problem for some who’s library looks like a top-40 list.  But for those who’s music tastes run into the eclectic range, and especially in classical and world music, it’s a real problem. Worse, once it makes a mistake, its very hard to fix it for that album in WMP.  (Personal experience.)

On a side note, WMP online metadata services have been discontinued on older platforms.  See https://www.thurrott.com/windows/198508/microsoft-retiring-a-windows-media-player-feature-on-older-windows-versions for information.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by NetDef.
          • #2278941 Reply
            NetDef
            AskWoody_MVP

Oh, for those reading this thread, BBearren mentions using WMP to encode (rip) CD’s to FLAC.

This is not natively supported in WMP on a new install of Windows (any version.)

But you can easily add FLAC playback and encoding support to WMP.  Get this from the actual source (not some third party) at https://xiph.org/dshow/

You’re looking for the download link on that that page for

Windows 32/64-bit Installer: opencodecs_0.85.17777.exe

Once you’ve installed it, FLAC will show up in the WMP rip options.  And WMP will play FLAC just fine.

I’m posting this because so very many of the codec downloads you will see in a search for FLAC codec / encoder / decoder are for malware sites.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #2279100 Reply
              bbearren
              AskWoody MVP

Oh, for those reading this thread, BBearren mentions using WMP to encode (rip) CD’s to FLAC. This is not natively supported in  WMP on a new install of Windows (any version.)

I don’t do new/clean installs (any version), I only do updates/upgrades.  So even in Windows 10 2004, WMP still has FLAC natively supported as an optional file format.  I didn’t have to do a thing.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
              "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
              "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2279110 Reply
            bbearren
            AskWoody MVP

I presented an alternate method because what WMP lacks is fine tuned control of how the structure of your libraries are created and managed — and a properly maintained structure makes your library MUCH more useful when you want to play your library on other devices other than your PC.

My default music library is structured (on its dedicated hard drive) by artist/album.  As you know, WMP can present it to me by artist, by album or by genre.

As for playing music from other devices, I have a large playlist copied to my phone’s SD card and to some thumbnail-sized thumb drives; one can put a lot of music on a 16GB drive no bigger than my thumbnail.  It’s completely unobtrusive when plugged in, there’s just a little bump visible.  The radio in my truck will accept bluetooth, aux cable, and has a USB port.  The playlist is rather large and my preference is to have playback shuffled.

On a side note, WMP online metadata services have been discontinued on older platforms.

My platform is Windows 10 2004, and I haven’t encountered any misses yet.

• #2278940 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

There are many possible apps for ripping music. @NetDef uses foobar2000, an open source, free app, to do the walk through for ripping CDs… multiple screen shots, with the settings and options highlighted, so it is very easy to follow the instructions.

Over the years I’ve ripped CDs on multiple machines, through multiple apps, with multiple formats. @NetDef gives instructions that result in quality FLAC files, for archiving your music collection… and then has easy steps for converting those to phone/device ready MP3 files.

For those that have juggled getting their favorite music all in one place, in the same format, @NetDef‘s article provides clarity about just how to do that.

Why use FLAC for archiving?

We use it because it’s widely compatible with most advanced music players, and because it’s a true bit for bit copy that can be safely used if we need to convert to other formats.

Rather than ending with my eyes glazed with complexity, I was able to rip a CD (one from a local group, that doesn’t have its music on line, but that is special to me)… I never used FLAC before, but I want my music collection to last as long as I do. Thanks, @NetDef, as this is a great article!

And, once your music collection is archived- back it up!

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2278966 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Excellent write-up from @NetDef from the Windows perspective.
        For those of you who use Linux, check out Asunder it’s available in Ubuntu/Debian Repo’s and encompasses the process of ripping CD’s

Saves audio tracks as:
        WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Opus, Wavpack, Musepack, AAC, and Monkey’s audio files.
        Uses online CDDB to name and tag each track.
        Creates M3U playlists
        Can encode to multiple formats in one session
        Simultaneous rip and encode
        Allows for each track to be by a different artist
        Doesn’t require a specific linux desktop environment

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
      • #2279035 Reply
        rontpxz81
        AskWoody Lounger

I use CDex stiil at it’s highest settings 320 kpbs- good enough for me.  Plus it has extensive settings, and can make a good copy of some damaged discs with it’s extreme settings.

https://cdex.mu/

• #2279049 Reply
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

I will try FLAC when I have a few free minutes.

Thanks @NetDef.

• #2279129 Reply
        oblivion
        AskWoody Plus

My CD ripper of choice for some years has been fre:ac

It’s simple, effective, highly configurable and (as you might guess from the name) free.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New AskWoody Knowledge Base article: How to rip audio CDs, reliably and at highest quality

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.