News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New Build with Ryzen

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) New Build with Ryzen

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Paul T 6 months ago.

• Author

co1615
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello,

I’m about to build my 1st comp. I am going to use a Ryzen proc & want to use Win 8.1. How bad of an experience am I about to encounter? I don’t plan on doing much online with this one, maybe some Steam gaming? Thanks for any advice offered.

• #243171 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

That chip is much newer than W8 so drivers may be an issue. Check if you can get motherboard / GPU drivers for W8 before heading down that route.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #243178 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Also, MS is blocking updates, starting somewhere in 2017, for Win7/8.1 from computers with newer processors. Check the list of blocked processors. There are workarounds, but I think it makes updating more difficult.

• #243189 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Out of curiosity why do you want Win 8.1? As PaulT and PKCano suggest, it may be a lot more of a hassle to go with 8.1.

I just built a new Ryzen 2700X in Oct. and went with Win 10 Pro.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #243193 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Using WSUS was the only way to patch Win7 and even then, there are firey hoops and loops to jump thru.
      installing-win-updates-on-win-7-or-8-1-computers-with-kaby-lake-or-ryzen-cpus/
      There has been success reported with Win7 here: #119479
      This may help but, then you’ve got to look at the motherboard manufacturers website for drivers, if they have them for Win8.1? Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc..good luck with that!

But IMO it’s easier to bite the bullet to W10 Pro x64 (at a minimum)

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #243197 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

My W10 box is home and I run ShutUp10 and “metered” wireless without any major issues – I did have to re-build after the 1803 update creamed the user profile, but that seems not to be unusual and I suspect W10 Pro wouldn’t have made it any less problematic.

cheers, Paul

• #243211 Reply

co1615
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for all the responses!

CADesertRat, I currently use 8.1 on an older Intel chip & am happy with it. I was hoping to avoid 10 because I don’t like the loss of control on the updates. I tend to go against the flow in most everything I do. I don’t do Apple anything even though it seems to be the industry standard for graphics. I live in New England but don’t like any of the sports teams etc… Linux isn’t out of the question either, but I already bought an 8.1 Pro off ebay & the skin flint in me doesn’t help.

• #243233 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Well, have fun 🙂

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #243237 Reply

MW
      AskWoody Plus

You’re going to have to go online and do a little leg work.  It depends on what CPU and Mobo you want to use.  Some AM4 boards do (did) have drivers for W7 & W8.1.

With AMD, unless you’re using one of their APU’s, you will need a GPU.

I know for a fact AMD dropped W8.1 support on the RX400/500 cards.  I have a RX560 sitting here next to me left over from another project that I cannot use to upgrade my W8.1 machine.  It’s W7 or W10 only.

I suspect they probably did the same for their integrated graphics with the APU’s.  If so, that means you will need an Nvidia card.

Maybe consider using an Intel CPU.  Skylake and Kaby Lake have drivers available for both W7 and W8.1.   Coffee Lake gets problematic.

W7 & W8.1 - Group W
      Mac Sierra & Mojave - Group A
      Mint Cinnamon - Group A

• #243243 Reply

co1615
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve already bought everything. I’m using the Ryzen 2600X, MSI B450 Gaming Pro AC, 16gb of Corsair Vengenence, GeForce 1060 GPU, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 PSU. Nvidia has the 8.1 & Linux driver & from reading other Linux forums it looks like the MSI board is fine. I would just prefer 8.1 for familiarity.

• #243281 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

That MSI board doesn’t appear to have chipset drivers for W8.1 – W7 & 10 only.
      https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-driver&Win8.1%2064

cheers, Paul

• #243319 Reply

co1615
      AskWoody Lounger

Yes, I did notice that after the fact but I am aware of others using Win 8.1 so I will try it & post my results. The comp pieces should arrive today with the OS coming on Friday.

• #310789 Reply

co1615
        AskWoody Lounger

Well…..  I ended up selling my soul. I bought Win 10 Pro. If you want to banish me, I deserve it! It seemed the more I searched, the less I found. Everything seems to be working good except no audio in my game. But I’m pretty sure that is a game specific issue. The build went smooth although I forgot to buy an optical drive & I added a fan to the front of the case. I thought it had one? I appreciate all the replies & help offered.

• #310946 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Does sound now work?

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New Build with Ryzen

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.