News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New comer to Windows 10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 New comer to Windows 10

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Rob

I am coming out of the world of Windows 8.1 into the world of Windows 10 with my new computer and I am on a steep learning curve!

I have two questions:

1. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1803 and the manufacturer of my computer is wanting me to install drivers for version 1809. If I install them using version 1803 will this create problems with the hardware?

2. Can I jump versions? Could I sometime in the future go from version 1803 to 1903 or do I have to install version 1809 first?

• #1733706 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Question 1- It probably won’t huirt anything but it depends on what the drivers are.

Question 2- you can jump to 1903 if you like.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1735087 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Could I sometime in the future go from version 1803 to 1903 or do I have to install version 1809 first?

No, you don’t have to install 1809. Unless you block 1903, Microsoft will force it on you starting coming June.

“Starting this June, we will begin updating devices running the April 2018 Update, and earlier versions of Windows 10, to ensure we can continue to service these devices and provide the latest updates, security updates and improvements. We are starting this machine learning (ML)-based rollout process several months in advance of the end of service date to provide adequate time for a smooth update process.”

• #1743325 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

do I have to install version 1809 first?

Win10 update is designed to update your configuration when Microsoft’s assessment of your PC concludes the update will work for you. I’m still on 1803 and all is well, my better two-thirds got 1809 early this month and the upgrade was quick & without incident.

I advise you not to do any updates yourself, I see a lot of people running into glitches by forcing updates. Of course, if you want to explore, or are on the Insider program, then go ahead and get the latest.

Do continue to make the regular system disk images, of course.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New comer to Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.