News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New complaints about Search in Win10 1903 with the September cumulative update

Home Forums AskWoody blog New complaints about Search in Win10 1903 with the September cumulative update

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 2 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

After first warning that there were Start and Search problems with the latest Win10 version 1903 cumulative update, KB  4515384, MS then said that it
      [See the full post at: New complaints about Search in Win10 1903 with the September cumulative update]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1959936 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I have seen several things people say are the cause of problems with Search.

The first I saw was that blocking web search or Cortana in Group Policy or Registry (as outlined by MS to block web search) caused a problem.

@Mr.-Natural says that allowing apps to run in the background fixes a problem he has seen (so blocking apps from running in the background is the cause )
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/ms-says-theres-no-start-search-bug-in-this-months-win10-1903-cumulative-update/#post-1958854

An anon says blocking www[.]bing[.].com or having no Internet access will cause a problem.
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/ms-says-theres-no-start-search-bug-in-this-months-win10-1903-cumulative-update/#post-1959167

It would seem there is some underlying problem with Search.

• #1960022 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

UPDATE: @sonicmojo says here and here that allowing apps to run in the background doesn’t fix things with Search for him. See his screenshot.

• #1960233 Reply

SonicMojo
          AskWoody Lounger

UPDATE: @sonicmojo says here and here that allowing apps to run in the background doesn’t fix things with Search for him. See his screenshot.

This isn’t just “search”  – this is the whole b***y button click. Left clicking on it does nothing at all. Except bring up that nasty message above.

Oddly – right clicking on Start does brings up the usual system shortcuts menu (Desktop, Shutdown, Run etc etc).

But there is something major in this update that breaks Start in a big way.

Sonic.

• #1961213 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

Any idea what you may have customized that triggers this behavior?

Say… a Start menu plugin (possibly subsequently removed), or a change in Start menu delay settings?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  woody.
    • #1960510 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody_MVP

Can’t say I’ve seen any problems with the Windows Start Menu, because I simply don’t use it. I use OpenShell, which seems stable and functional.

Regarding just using the v1903 desktop on a multi-monitor system, I’ve seen a number of cases where windows that had been working just turn empty/black. Sometimes the controls work and I can close an application that looks like this and sometimes I have to force it closed. I can’t discern a pattern, and thankfully it’s happening less and less as I settle in with the new installation.

And don’t get me started on the new quirks of RDPing into a v1903 system (yes, some of us really do use RDP). The mouse cursor jumps around spastically as now both the controlling and controlled systems try to take control of where the mouse is positioned. Sigh. I read one post where putting in the September update corrected the problem for someone. I’m hopeful.

IMO Windows v1903 has continued to drift away from professional usability, keeping up the march of its predecessors. I wouldn’t have put it on my system yet but for a persistent networking failure that neither I nor IT could resolve with v1809… It caused me to install Windows afresh. The installation DID resolve the networking problem. But of course it brought some other baggage (and nothing new and useful I can discern).

If you’re on the fence about whether to install v1903 and you really need your computer to work right, I suggest waiting a bit longer. V1903 is not death on contact, but it’s also far from perfect.

-Noel

• #1960591 Reply

anonymous

One of the main problems I have with 1903 that Edge on every single start crashes and drags some processes with it too. That happend from the very beginning of a clean install. Of course We use other browsers than Edge, but some file assosications are stubbornley re-assigned to Edge time and time again. And thus the crashes keep happening. Also some software uses Edge by unwantedly using its engine. Basically, it makes 1903 unreliable for business use, even after over 5 months of the release date. Microsoft should be smart and extend the support for 1803 with a year more, as well 1809 as well 1903 are train wrecks. 🙁

• #1960759 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

What plug ins do you have installed?  I am using Edge and 1903 and not seeing issues?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #1961703 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody_MVP

Not seeing hide nor hair of Edge here. Pale Moon is my default browser. I noticed several instances of iexplore.exe running (as part of Microsoft Office I think) though.

-Noel

• #1961226 Reply

GreatAndPowerfulTech
      AskWoody Lounger

The “search this PC” box built into the File Explorer stopped working normally for me weeks ago. I close Explorer and reopen it and I can now Type in a name or phone number to do a look up of all the stored invoices on my machines, I’ve done this for many, many years. It’s only on my laptop which is in the slow Insider ring, and my workbench running 1903, both Pro, that the box is greyed out now, which started recently. I close File Explorer, reopen it and it search from it works normally. Only the first instance is useless.

Since I work on customer computer I try to keep these two Windows 10  machines pretty current. My third workstation is still on Windows 7. It now runs almost twice as fast as Windows 10 as it’s Windows 10 sibling, which has the exact same board, but a Core i7 instead of a Core i5 on the Windows 7 machine.   Originally, the were very comparable speed wise. When they break completely, I have plans to move the Windows 10 machines to Linux Mint. I’ve had this plan for years. Yet, Windows 10 just keeps chugging along, albeit more slowly and buggy all the time.

I had hope that v1903 was finally going to be the one that showed that Windows 10 matured, after the data corruption issue and SD card drive rename was recognized and fixed. That hope is now long gone, since I suspect that OEM’s no longer cooperate on solving issues like they need to. Cutting costs is now more important than top notch customer support at all levels.

GreatAndPowerfulTech

• #1965883 Reply

SonicMojo
      AskWoody Lounger

Any idea what you may have customized that triggers this behavior?

Say… a Start menu plugin (possibly subsequently removed), or a change in Start menu delay settings?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  woody.

I deploy my Win 10 workstations via MDT – and I do have plenty of stuff customized ranging from a complete removal of all in-box apps (save 5 or 6 that I do use) all the way to a custom start menu task that deploys a very basic start menu to a new deployment.

And yes – I have the menu delay set to a reasonable level – but none of this causes any issue with the cumulative updates to .295.

If MS expect me to “uncustomize” my MDT Task Sequence – it needs to publish specifics on what exact state the Start Menu needs to be in prior to applying KB 4515384.

I am betting the next one breaks it again. I keeping this test VM at .295 until I hear otherwise. And it can’t just be me.

Sonic.

• #1966326 Reply

SonicMojo
        AskWoody Lounger

UPDATE

I just applied KB 4517211 and KB4522738 to my previously massively troubled 18362.295 install (the one that would not take KB 4515384 no way and no how)

Start menu comes up now (where it did not before) but Search still does not work.

We are getting there…

Sonic.

• #1966329 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

I’m curious if anyone still having issues see any errors in the event logs.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1970139 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Just updated 1803 to 1903 and ran into the Cortana using 40% of CPU issue.
      Re-enabling search fixed the issue, but I don’t want search enabled, sigh.

Some other oddities on the Start Menu that weren’t too tricky to resolve – removed from menu, but all else seems OK.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New complaints about Search in Win10 1903 with the September cumulative update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.