News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New Desktop Build

Posted on Casey H Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Greetings –

My current desktop is getting a little long in the tooth–time to at least consider building a new one.  I’m not interested in over-clocking.  I’m not a gamer, but I do use my PC to watch blu-ray movies.  I also use the PC for photo & video editing using the Elements versions of Photoshop and Premier. Other than that, it’s web surfing, emails, & Microsoft Office stuff.  I like the idea of onboard video, with the option of perhaps adding a video card later.  I’m also an Intel guy.  Based on the described usage, I’m looking for recommendations for an Intel processor and motherboard chipset.  Any favorite motherboard recommendations that meet said specs would also be appreciated.  Thanks.

Casey H.

• #2016380 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I tend to check the UserBenchmark site for a guide to speed vs price and Tom’s Hardware for general recommendations.

As you can see from UserBenchmark, an I7-9700K is super fast, but an I5-9600K will save enough to pay for the motherboard (and required 3rd party cooler) and be almost as quick.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2016648 Reply
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul.  The 9600K is kind of where I was leaning and a board with a Z390 chipset.  Both of these allow overclocking, which I’m not really interested in. I thought there might be a combination that might be just as capable but not designed for OC, which might make it a little less expensive.  I just want the parts to last for a long time.  Maybe with today’s technologies, OC is no longer a longevity issue.

Casey H.

p.s. You’ve really helped me with a ton of stuff lately, Paul.  I really appreciate it.

• #2016823 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You can use a lower spec mobo if your not overclocking, just make sure it has the require video out to suit your monitor. And an M2 connector for the SSD.

cheers, Paul

• #2018797 Reply
        Casey H

Another thanks, Paul.  I was not familiar with M2 at all.  I see from a little digging that it can be pretty confusing.  I’ll need to spec out both the board & the SSD to make sure they match.  My current monitor only has an HDMI connector, so I’ll need to check the board for that as well.

Casey H.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New Desktop Build

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.