News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New Edge browser in Win10

Posted on Vincenzo Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

New Edge got installed with the July updates.

It seems noticeably faster on my computer than the old Edge, and seems to work ok.

I notice that there is an icon for it in the system tray, and it offers to option to “allow Edge to run in the background”. I turned it off. What advantage could there be to letting it run in the background?

Thanks

• #2286877 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

What advantage could there be to letting it run in the background?

Microsoft could collect information all the time?

• #2286892 Reply
        anonymous

Microsoft Edge pre-launches as a background process during Windows startup when the system is idle waiting to be launched by the user. Pre-launching helps the performance of Microsoft Edge and minimizes the amount of time required to start up Microsoft Edge. You can also configure Microsoft Edge to prevent Microsoft Edge from pre-launching.

Prelaunch Microsoft Edge and preload tabs in the background

• #2286908 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Microsoft Edge pre-launches as a background process during Windows startup

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 slow boot issue due to KB4559309

In June Microsoft rolled out cumulative update KB4559309, which brought the new Chromium-powered Edge browser to Windows 10 users, replacing the old EdgeHTML Edge.

Unfortunately, after delivering a faster browser, the update also appeared to slow down Windows 10, with users complaining of performance issues, with slow boot times, slow loading of apps and ever web pages loading slowly.

Now, on Microsoft Answers, a moderator has finally confirmed that Microsoft Edge team is currently in the process of investigating this problem.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
      • #2286956 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Looks like MSFT’s new Edge is coming to you like it/ fixed or not..as pre-installed with 20H2.
        [Just like the Windows 10 November 2019 Update, this upcoming release isn’t a full feature update. That means when it’s ready, the update will sit on top of the May 2020 Update instead, equating to a much smaller download and install period.]
        Extracted from: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-version-20h2-changelog

Win8.1 Pro x64 + Linux Hybrids x86/x64 + Win7 Pro x86/64 O/L
      • #2287007 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

My main concern is that it is a Google product and that Google could have a planted a way for it to snoop and send data back to Google.

I’ve accepted that it may send data to MS and can live with that, but Google I have less trust for.

Do you think there is any chance data could go back to Google?

Thanks

• #2287042 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

“Do you think there is any chance data could go back to Google?”

Google controls the open source Chromium and Chromium connects to Google when you use extensions, Chromium tracks you…

How Safe is Chromium privacy wise?

It maybe that Microsoft which has deprecated many of Google/Chromium features in the new Edge may also blocked any Google/Chromium data transfers.

btw ; Chromium browser can be downloaded now from Microsoft Store.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
    Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New Edge browser in Win10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.