News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• New, improved privacy in Win10 1803 may not be what you think

Home Forums AskWoody blog New, improved privacy in Win10 1803 may not be what you think

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Manager

I’ve been reading the wave of mainstream articles that followed Marisa Rogers’s publication last week of an official Microsoft notice about new privac
        [See the full post at: New, improved privacy in Win10 1803 may not be what you think]

2 users thanked author for this post.
        PKCano
        Manager

To also quote Gralla’s article:

Microsoft already has a very useful model for doing this. Its web-based Privacy dashboard lets you view and clear your search history, browsing history, location history and information gathered by Cortana. The dashboard is simple, clearly designed and takes only a few minutes to use.

The problem with this is that it’s web-based. Which means Microsoft has already uploaded the data and no doubt had access to it.

So what if you then delete it. It’s like closing the door after the horse has already left the barn.

8 users thanked author for this post.
          Karlston
          AskWoody Plus

And IIRC, it requires a Microsoft account login on the Windows device.

Local account users can’t access this “feature”.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

More than 2 years ago:

“When it comes to privacy, we will ensure your data is private and is under your control” Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, November 2015

Now:

We are working to earn your trust every day by focusing on six key privacy principles:

Control: We will put you in control of your privacy with easy-to-use tools and clear choices.

Transparency: We will be transparent about data collection and use so that you can make informed decisions.
        Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, current statement

It’s been years now and we’re still not in full control of OUR data, neither is it transparent. This latest revelation just shows the cake mix ingredients are the same, only the icing has changed.

6 users thanked author for this post.
        Pepsiboy
        AskWoody Lounger

Just ANOTHER reason for me to NOT jump on the Win10 bandwagon.

Dave

3 users thanked author for this post.
        FakeNinja
        AskWoody Lounger

This is something that I don’t understand about the Win 10 Enterprise edition, if you set the telemetry level in gpedit.msc to 0, it’s now called “Security” instead of “Off”, so Microsoft is STILL collecting some information at level 0? Does anyone know exactly what data is being sent at the “Security” level and how can we know that for sure? Because, I’ve seen reports of Windows 10 sending data even if you disabled EVERYTHING telemetry related.

Cybertooth
          AskWoody Plus

That’s correct. Microsoft will still be collecting some data even if you set telemetry to “0”. (Hah, and you thought that “zero” meant “nothing”.) The only way to opt out of telemetry completely in Windows 10 is to use the LTSB. How many hundred thou $$$ have you got to spare for a LTSB license?

As to what data exactly Microsoft is collecting, and how much of it, we unwashed peasants have no way of knowing.

FakeNinja
            AskWoody Lounger

I don’t think LTSB sets you free of telemetry either honestly, LTSB only gets rid of the annoying junk that comes with Win 10, the telemetry is the same as in Enterprise sadly.

AlexEiffel
        AskWoody_MVP

For me, it boils down to this simple idea: if the company tries to get away with not providing an opt-out switch they don’t reset or if they don’t avoid violating your will even once, it can’t be trusted and I don’t even want to see what they collect, I will only accept an off switch and it will be off forever.

As for this announcement, to me, it is just PR bs again. They still try to get away with not doing the right thing while pretending they do. The fact they “address” it means it is a problem to users that is important enough to warrant attention. The way they address it means they still don’t get it and that their future doesn’t look good as that type of provider of service.

Unless the current board gets the boot and we receive apologies and a real commitment to completely change the whole direction of this mess that Windows 10 is, the problem won’t be solved, as trust is hard to earn, easy to loose and can be very difficult to get back.

8 users thanked author for this post.
        MrBrian
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ll guess that Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer gives the same info as the method given at https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/care-to-join-a-win7-snooping-test/#post-21414.

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

As a Grandma, I get to spend time playing with babies and preschoolers…

They have plastic cell phones, plastic computers, plastic keys… to play with and distract. But nobody pretends that these toys are meant to work.

I’m non-techy… but I don’t want a toy. Windows 10 for home users is a toy that Microsoft jiggles the screen to get attention and stop the fussing… but I’ve been out of diapers for a long, long, time…

I don’t want to sign in to a Microsoft account. My local user account is the only place I sign in to, but that is so others around me can’t access my stuff. Microsoft needs to respect my space and not access my stuff… in a one button option…

I don’t want privacy access in the cloud (it is already off my machine by then). That just indicates that Microsoft has moved control of my system from my local control to them. Local controls, only, needs to be an option.

Too bad that Microsoft didn’t think of this before home users got a taste of how they could have a secure, private, locally controlled operating system. We wouldn’t have known the difference? Wait, it surely would have given Linux a boost…

Microsoft did choose the Cloud over their user base… They abandoned me, I didn’t walk (now running) away from them. Despite newer, brighter, shinier toys, jiggled ever more frequently… I don’t mind jiggling toys to sooth the kids, but find it out and out irritating to have them jiggled in my face…

My elementary school age grandkids know as much as I do about computing… more when it comes to coding… I don’t imagine that they will be happy with fake computing toys, either. So exactly what user base are they trying to fake out?

I sure hope the European Union isn’t sated by this ‘lack of privacy and user control’ tactic. It might get some attention from all those big paycheck types in the exalted executive offices… and shareholders… Give us less marketing of what is essentially crapware and malware… and return to offering the already developed OS that users really want…

Unless… they are counting on the baby boom seniors to return to childhood, and anticipate a need for toys for those senile retirement years…

I’m kicking and screaming… in adult rage…

I might have ‘senior moments’ but I’m not senile…

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

6 users thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

I think they have some kind of nutty marketing agency profile of what their users are. That simple!

Like the ads that always seem to describe other people, put together by out of touch agencies, who think they know what the average person is or wants.

Cascadian
          AskWoody Lounger

I sure hope the European Union isn’t sated by this ‘lack of privacy and user control’ tactic.

The wheels grind slow, but the upcoming deadline in this very valuable market is one of the things I have been looking forward to. I try to set aside the idea that Microsoft’s hyper-cycling version count is a effort to undermine the slow progress of law. I share your hope that some Jurisdiction will say ‘that’s far enough’. That it may be the European Union to do it seems to hold some irony. Everything needs a starting point. China already has it’s own special edition carved out; though I suspect that only swaps one all-seeing overlord for another. Extending on your hope, I’d like to see similar protections applied that honor liberty with some privacy.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        lurks about
        AskWoody Plus

Most ‘journalists’ basically repeat the talking points some flack or other low-life gave them. To do real reporting, one actually has to do something like Preston did, kick the tires, when possible ask questions. His conclusion, this is a steaming pile of BS. Only a few people will have a clue what is meant and they probably work for MS already.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        _Reassigned Account
        AskWoody Lounger

So Microsoft tells you what’s in the poison but they still make you drink it? This is better? NOT

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: New, improved privacy in Win10 1803 may not be what you think

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.