News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge New posts since last visit

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

I read AskWoody at leat once a day, and refresh my page after reading to show all the posts that I have seen as “Read”.  See the snips of “New posts since last visit”, “Unread” and “Read”.

Unread:  New-posts-since-last-visit

Read:  New-posts-since-last-visit-all-read
        I would imagine that, then, there should be no other posts on AskWoody marked as “Unread”.  Lately, though, I have found quite a few on “Recently active topics” shown as “Unread”

Thus: Recently-active-topics-unread
        For several days past, I have ended my read of “New posts since last visit” with a “clean” page, and yet, when I go to “Recently active topics”, I still find quite a number of unread posts.  Am I missing something?

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

1 user thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Curioser and curioser: I have not used before “New posts since last visit” and trying this twice now (not being too clear as to which visit to what does “last visit” refer to) I have got a mostly empty page with just the banner, the right side-bar, and this line on it:

“Oh, bother! No topics were found here.”

I find something more like what ScotchJohn shows in his screenshots, but in “New posts in the last day” (top of the list, in “View in Forums”), although not sorted by “Recent” and “Unread.”

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

wavy
          AskWoody Plus

Oscar I have yet to understand how the “New posts since last visit” link works exactly. I use it everyday as the first AW page/pages I visit. I always start ‘not logged in’, that is just what happens and does not bother me as it can be a safe guard against being counted as ‘already visited’ that day and not having any “New posts since last visit” listed. I have seldom if ever gotten a second refreshed “New posts since last visit” on the same day. Somewhere along the line after I bed down for the night it resets and starts counting new posts. I am fairly certain that I manage to miss quite a few posts that are left in limbo with this procedure. That is why I have always favored a strictly temporally sorted presentation of posts, it make finding ones I have missed easier w/o out the ‘search “rt n”‘ procedure.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Curiouser and yet curiouser, Oscar and Way’s posts did not show in “New posts since last visit”, which they WERE!  But they showed here in “Recently active topics”.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I probably should add that (1) I am not permanently logged in, and (2) I always look into “New posts: last three days” first thing each day I visit here, after logging in for the day, and later on that same day, in “New posts: last day.” The only thing that is missing there that would be of some interest to me is a notice that a thread has no replies. For that I would have to look also in “Recent Replies”: no big deal, really. I find that there is considerable redundancy among the several “see what people are writing about” pages at AskWoody.

All the same, it does remain a mystery why is it that I don’t the same things as ScothJohn.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

As I understand it (and I can check with the bbpress authors) it has to do with cookies and marking when you’ve visited and read the site.

I personally like View: Recently active topics @ AskWoody and remember you can click on that time in the right side and jump to the most recent reply in the thread.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Well, weird does remain strange, but now it is really different in its weirdness:

Looking at “New posts: last day” now I see, to my utter amazement, the blue “UNREAD” and the green “NEW REPLY” and the black “NEW” notices pinned to the names of the threads in the left column, something I never saw there until now …

BUT this thread we are in appeared, just before I dove into it to write this comment, as “UNREAD”, while it is very much “READ”, as far as the evidence of my own eyes strongly suggests.

So: what is going on here?

ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

As I understand it (and I can check with the bbpress authors) it has to do with cookies and marking when you’ve visited and read the site.

Susan – you mention cookies, and this could be some part of the answer.

I manage cookies, in Firefox 78 ESR, with Cookie Quick Manager.  Cookies that, for example, identify me to AskWoody, are protected, but all others, such as session cookies, are cleared when I leave the AW site.

I don’t know whether that is of any help.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

What does “UNREAD” mean? Is it about the latest comment added to a thread, the whole thread, or something else?

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

What does “UNREAD” mean? Is it about the latest comment added to a thread, the whole thread, or something else?

There is a considerable amount of mystery and confusion as to how these “New posts” pages work, so I can’t say for certain what it means in your case.  🙂

However, that said, over here when I refresh the “New posts: Last day” page, a thread marked as “UNREAD” means one that I haven’t visited at all. If the listing labels the thread as “NEW REPLY”, it means that it’s a thread I have visited AND there’s at least one new post since the last time I visited/refreshed the page for that thread. And if there is no label attached to the thread, it means that it’s a thread that I have visited but there are no new posts since the last time I visited/refreshed the thread.

AS FAR AS I CAN TELL…

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Cybertooth: ” a thread marked as “UNREAD” means one that I haven’t visited at all.

That’s the thing: I have visited this thread, as you know, and afterwards it was showing as “UNREAD.” As mentioned in one of my comments, further up in this thread.

I think we need an “AskWoody Users’ Handbook” with things like this explained in it.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Do you use any script or cookie blocking tools or clear your browser cache?

Some of this is impacted by third party plug ins.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Susan, I have my browser (Waterfox “Current”) set to reject 3rd party cookies and to delete all cookies when I close a page, but Woody is whitelisted since yesterday (when I remembered to do it, because some comment I read here reminded me to do it.) I’ll keep looking to see if this happens again even so.

Question: Are the “unread”  and “new reply” tags I see meant just for me, based on which threads I have visited previously, or not, so someone else, with a different history of visiting threads, may not see those in the same ones I do, but in different ones?

Susan Bradley
              Manager

They are supposed to be unique to you.

“bbPress New Topics is a simple plugin that appends the label “new” to all unread topics.”

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I don’t use posts since last because I clear cookies regularly.
        Recent Replies is the only easy way I have found to see posts I’ve not read.

To find new posts in a long thread I use the Regex Search plug-in (Ctrl Shift F) and then search for “new$”.

cheers, Paul

wavy
          AskWoody Plus

Paul
          Is this a browser specific plugin or something that is installed on the AW site or a background program on a users computer??

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Paul T, same as the other MVPs, has a special need to keep up with new and unread comments. For my part, after I log in for the first time in a day, I first check out the blogs in the Home page, then go through the last three days without paying attention to those labels, only to the title of the threads, to see if I am interested in any of them. Later in the day, I might repeat the exercise, but looking only at the list of comments made in the last day. This has been working well for me for a long time.

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

It’s an extension.
            GitHub – ada/edge-regex-search

cheers, Paul

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: New posts since last visit

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.