News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

Posted on Chris Greaves Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge New posts since last visit

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Chris Greaves
        AskWoody Plus

I am still struggling to my feet as a newbie. I have read partway through a long thread found by searching for “New posts since last visit” (WITH quotes) and could not see how to … hence this post.

Untitled

The screen shot this morning tells me that I need to perform a sequence of four or five right-clicks in order to inspect all the new posts since I last visited two or three days ago. (That suggests that we have had two or three days of gardening weather up here!)

I would appreciate being pointed to an option that allows me to load ALL New posts since last visit as a single page that I can scroll down rather than my having to perform a distracting mechanical task every 15 topics.

Alternatively, a browser bookmark/link that would open all required pages (this morning five, tomorrow possibly just two) . Even if I had to wait 30 seconds for all pages to load, I could benefit from the saved time by dashing off to pour a fresh coffee.(grin)

Thanks
        Chris

"Almost works" means it doesn’t work.

Attachments:
        3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2273523 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Scroll down the page to the “Search for Topics” in the right hand panel and click “New posts: …”

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2273743 Reply
          Chris Greaves
          AskWoody Plus

Hi Paul. I may have misunderstood your instructions, but when I clicked on the third item below “Search for Topics” in thew wood-grained right-hand panel I was delivered a screen that still requires me to manually click to open up a second page. Untitled-1It is my purple-circled area that concerns me. I am looking for a method to get all new posts on a single scrollable page, rather than having to click on the “2” command button (and sometimes the “3” and so on).
          Thanks
          Chris

Attachments:
          • #2273748 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

We are limited to 15 entries per page. Nothing you can do about it.

cheers, Paul

• #2273749 Reply
              Chris Greaves
              AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul.
              Now I know that I wasn’t “missing something”.
              Onwards and ever upwards!!
              Cheers
              Chris

• #2273533 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I’m working on revamping the whole thing – but it’s gonna take a while (and more money than I have at the moment).

• #2273569 Reply
          access-mdb
          AskWoody MVP

I use ‘recently active topics’, works for me. You may have to go to page 2 or 3, depends on how long you’ve been away….

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2273746 Reply
            Chris Greaves
            AskWoody Plus

Hi access-mdb.
            But please see my reply to Paul.
            I am, in general, trying to avoid the need to make multiple clicks to see the content.
            I understand the advantage of being served just a 15-post spoonful at a time, but too I can see an advantage to having the lot delivered in a single stream for me to peruse (with a fresh mug of coffee) without asking “Please Sir, may I have some – More?”
            Cheers
            Chris

• #2273620 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

It’s interesting that your post is almost the opposite of one two years ago. The behaviour has changed in this time, where the New Post Since Last Visit used to show the actual replies. Now, it shows the topics!

It seems we can’t keep everyone happy, and it will be interesting to see the future developments Woody referred to 🙂

• #2273747 Reply
          Chris Greaves
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks Kirsty, for this reference.
          I think that this is a thread I read two or three days ago.

I will take this opportunity to express to all and sundry that this is not a feature I am requesting, as much as a question of whether I have understood how to navigate the lounge.

In other words “Is there an alternative to repeated clicks on “2”. “3” etc., for example a “full display” mode of viewing New Posts, Posts since last Visit”, “Posts since last Coffee” whatever”.
          “Have I understood the lounge navigation correctly?”.

I gather from the replies (including Woody’s) that this is the way it is.
          I can accept that.
          I wanted to know whether I was doing something wrong! (or hadn’t looked closely enough at the page options)

Thanks again to Kirsty and all who have responded.

• #2273756 Reply
            woody
            Da Boss

You’re doing it right. The software just isn’t up to snuff.

Behind the scenes, we have a WordPress/bbPress site that needs to act more like a vBulletin site. I think we can do it without spending a fortune on customized software, but it’s going to be… challenging.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2274015 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

be very glad you have the functionality we do have, missing stuff here is part of the experience.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • #2274163 Reply
          Chris Greaves
          AskWoody Plus

Hi Wavy, and be assured, I am glad for the functionality.
          (Although I do miss 1stReader and the BBS)
          I consider that I worded my initial post awkwardly. In my mind was the question “Am I doing something wrong?” (that I can’t make the board display all posts), but I must admit that it came out as a petulant and childish complaint.
          I have no complaints!

Cheers
          Chris

• #2274050 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I follow this procedure to find replies and comments made to threads after my last, or a recent visit there:

(1) I scan the left brown bar of the Home page to see what are the latest comments, in case any is on a topic that interests me, including ones I recently have looked into. Also any recent topic, including those I have visited, in the “Recent Topics” section of the bar. They show the time of the latest entry added there.

(2) Then I click in “New posts last three days”, to see what might have been commented there, including those topics I have recently visited. I usually go only as far as looking for topics where comments have been added no later than 12 hours ago.

(3) When (1) and (2) fail to turn up what I am looking for: If I posted a comment recently, then by clicking on my icon at the top of the left bar puts me in a page with my own self-description and various buttons. Clicking on “Replies Created” sends me to another page with my comments listed from latest to earliest (it might take several pages for all of them if you have commented often and for a long time.) So I look at my latest comments at the top of the list and click on the included link to any where I want to see what people might have added there since I last made mine.

Any of these steps may work right away, or else the next one in the list might. I don’t believe I ever miss anything this way. Now days, this site, as Woody has written, is “not up to snuff” (I would say “glitchy.”) So one has to keep this in mind and look for alternatives when the obviously most simple approach does not work as well as it should. More work, but not a waste of time, in my opinion.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by OscarCP.
        • #2274094 Reply
          DriftyDonN
          AskWoody Plus

long process i should think. You are more patient than I.

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• #2274119 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

DriftyDonD: I don’t think there is a need for being very patient; just following an already ingrained routine goes quickly: it takes me a few minutes to do it, unless I found something interesting along the way and decide to see what is going on there. And it is not always that I need to go through all three steps.

To correct something I wrote and just noticed is wrong: I don’t check back 12 hours in “New posts: Last three days”, but at least 24 hours, sometimes even further back. Just reading the names of the threads until I get to one I visited recently or that gets me interested enough to have a look; in the first case I also check the date of the last entry there, to make sure it was made after my last visit.

• #2274165 Reply
              Chris Greaves
              AskWoody Plus

just following an already ingrained routine goes quickly

I see another advantage: This is a reproducible outcome; that is, one can follow this procedure one hour after, one day after, or one week after one’s Most Recent Visit and not miss an important post.
              The procedure as followed will function if one applied it every hour of the (waking) day.
              A procedure, ingrained, that always delivers required results no matter how frequently applied is a Good Procedure!
              (Now, where is the emoticon for “Thank You”?)

Cheers
              Chris

• #2274164 Reply
          Chris Greaves
          AskWoody Plus

Hi Oscar, and thanks for this mini-user’s guide. I have pasted and saved your procedure for use on my next visit.
          Your steps solve another problem for me, that is “last visit”, because I find that when I drop in to make a quick post that, of course, counts as a Visit, so when I drop in an hour later for a perusal, there are No New Posts since my last visit!
          I am, of course, keen to view and respond to replies to my original question.
          Thanks again
          Chris

• #2274277 Reply
            SueW
            AskWoody Plus

I am, of course, keen to view and respond to replies to my original question.

An easier way to do this (in my opinion) is to just check the box below your original post, or reply, where it says Notify me of follow-up replies via email.  You’ll receive an email each time someone posts a reply.

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B; Former 'Tech Weenie'

• #2274282 Reply
              wavy
              AskWoody Plus

Yes but I would think this adds to the site bandwidth, I still miss WS 🙁 the best since the old compuserve…

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
              • #2274296 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

Wavy: “more bandwidth

No, more unwanted emails, if you hit the sweet spot of starting or participating in a long-running, often commented thread. (Such was my experience once, so I’ve  sworn a mighty oath never to allow that to happen to me again.)  You would be able to follow such a thread very easily and conveniently, instead, just by checking the brown side-bar entries and, if necessary, taking the other two steps I have explained already. So I rather stick with my own plan. (It might help, in my case, to be quick while at it, that I do not have or am interested in Windows 10 or in any applications meant to be used with Windows 10, I suppose, so there is a lot I can skip right away while scrolling down the brown side-bar.)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by OscarCP.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New posts since last visit

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.