News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New replacement for Dell 17" xps with TWO HD bays?

Posted on mikeding Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware New replacement for Dell 17" xps with TWO HD bays?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

Paul T 2 months ago.

• Author

mikeding
      AskWoody Plus

I’m running a Dell System XPS L702X 17″ laptop with two 1TB hard drives.  It’s vintage 2011 and I’m looking for a new replacement with similar specs.

My problem: No one seems to be manufacturing laptops/workstations with two hard drive bays anymore.  Even the high-end 17″ HP Z-Machines and Dell workstations don’t support two physical hard drives (they all seem to be configurable with a HD/SSD pairing, but no second HD bay).

Any ideas or answers??

-MD

• #400628 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Why do you need 2 ‘slow’ HDs vs 1 super fast (NVMe) SSD for the OS and 1 HD for data ?
      If you insist on 2 HDs you can add an external USB-C/TB3 (up to 10TB) HD.

• #400698 Reply

Al Taylor
      AskWoody Plus

One possibility is to get a laptop with an optical drive and in the optical drive’s place insert a hard drive “caddy”.  These come in different thicknesses so get one that fits your laptop.

If you ever need an optical drive, you could use a USB portable one, and these are very inexpensive.

As another possibility, some laptops come with bays for both a SATA drive and an M2 drive.

• #409672 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Hm, yeah, the trend is towards SSDs now.

HP does now offer models where you can get multiple m.2/NVMe SSDs, if I read this right you can make a ZBook 17 G5 do a RAID1 of 2TB SSDs (and then still have a NVMe cache for your RAID), it has 1 NVMe + 2 M.2 + 1 2.5″ SATA.

The G3 and G4 versions had 2x M.2 + 2x 2.5″ slots, these are still in stock with some supply chains. The G3 in particular, for selling to those organizations who’ll want extended Windows 7 Enterprise support too.

Dell’s 7730 would seem to have two 2.5″ slots still and is a current model. Specs aren’t as easy to decipher as HP’s though…

Lenovo seems to be the same as HP, latest models can do mirrored SSDs.

• #410265 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Why do you need 2 ‘slow’ HDs vs 1 super fast (NVMe) SSD

I have 3 disks in my PC, one SSD for the OS, one HDD for my data and one for backup so that’s 3 drive bays.

Given the size of a standard desktop there should be enough room for a second drive, so the lack of one may just be penny pinching by the manufacturers. You may have to revert to a home brew machine.

cheers, Paul

• #411624 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Given the size of a standard desktop there should be enough room for a second drive, so the lack of one may just be penny pinching by the manufacturers. You may have to revert to a home brew machine.

Sure, in a standard “tower” desktop. The question was about laptops, and there the homebrew kind is… well, rather uncommon.

And the “small” desktop segment may well not have room for another internal drive. Some of them require removing the optical drive bracket for that.

• #420042 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

How did I miss the “laptop” bit? Maybe just ignore me next time. 🙂

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New replacement for Dell 17" xps with TWO HD bays?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.