News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • new to win10 upgrade issue "black screen"

Posted on palberts Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update new to win10 upgrade issue "black screen"

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        palberts
        AskWoody Lounger

hi all,

After 7 blissful years of windows 7 running on a dell inspiron desktop I had to jump to windows 10. I have a new ACER TC-885-UA91 desktop. Which I received in Dec 2019. Its running win 10 1809. Its stable  no issues… :o)

Until now! Windows update is pushing me to 1909. After downloading the update and installing, I get the BLACK screen of death after it reboots to the new version. So cntl-alt-del with no effect, so power it down, wait, power it back on and windows back out the update and back to 1809.  :o(

I read with great interest the woody article of Jan 9, 2020..
        Why — and how — I’m moving Win10 production machines to version 1903
        I am concerned about the black screen issue of course. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date through Intel’s web  site. I did get an update from them on my Intel UHD 630 graphics yestarday.

I am in  holding pattern, and researching.

Any advice or tips ? Thanks !!!

paul

aka palberts

• #2169872 Reply
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

I can suggest doing one of two things:

A) You can try pausing/deferring the 1909 update, in the hope that by the time the period that you set ends, Microsoft will have figured out a fix for your issue.

B) For more granular control over your Windows 10 updating (including possibly an indefinite suspension of these “feature updates”), you can try the Windows Update Manager.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

• #2169931 Reply
        Carl
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 7 fading is depressing, ain’t it?

I don’t know if this will be of any help, but it may be worth a look:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

• #2169948 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

This might help:

2000009: Getting out of a no-boot situation after installing Windows updates

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: new to win10 upgrade issue "black screen"

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.