News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New to Windows 10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 New to Windows 10

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        ECWS
        AskWoody Plus

Our network administrator recommended a replacement of my Windows 7 computer to what has become my first Windows 10 (PRO) computer.  I would appreciate suggestions on how to set it up to work most efficiently including updating or maintaining.  Not even sure where to check what version of Win10 I have or when it was updated.

Seems like it might be a steep learning curve having worked with Win7 for the last 7 years.  Recommendations on desktop setup – should I try to make it look like W7?  What kind of maintenance should I do or programs should I add?

I usually ran CCleaner (Version 4.19.4867) once a week.  However I am not sure this version will work with Windows 10.

Should I look at a tutorial to get the idea of how to work with Windows 10?

What preloaded programs should I remove?

Specs are Lenovo ThinkCentre 256GB SSD / 8GB Ram / I5 Processor

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Is this your own home machine or a work supplied unit?
        Why was the replacement recommended?

Many on this forum are happy running W7 and we have guides on setup and patching to keep them secure.

If you are still getting a new machine with W10 you need to decide if you want to bother managing the updates yourself or let Windows do its thing. Millions let Windows manage the updates and have no issues – the easiest option. Unless you want lots of extra control over updates – and the work that goes along with managing it – get Windows Home and spend the money on a USB hard drive for backup instead.
        Whatever you choose, make regular backups to an external USB disk using one of the free/paid 3rd party backup products.

Using W10 is just like using W7 with a slightly different menu arrangement. It will take you a few days to get used to, after which you can decide if you want it to look like your W7 system.

Do not use CCleaner etc. Run a malware check and AV scan instead. Windows Defender anti virus is built-in and is well rated. Supplement this with MalwareBytes Anti Malware manual scanner or similar if you feel the need.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
          ECWS
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul.  It is an office computer provided to me that I did not select (although I do like the selection). It is Windows Pro 64.

Do I still need to remove the temp files/clean cache, etc.?  That is what I used CCleaner for.

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

As I said, do not run CCleaner etc. There is no benefit unless you are running really low on space, and then it’s up to your employer to fix that.

cheers, Paul

giorgio
          AskWoody Lounger

I dug in my heels on Win7

have 3 machines still going, but made the move to WinX a couple months ago, you gotta at least expose yourself to it sometime when all employers are WinX

For a Win7 Start Menu interface, download and install:

OpenShellSetup_4_4_152

Start Menu layout items from Win7 will be more or less in the same place, you would still have to change Control Panel to “Classic View” like you do in Win7,  OpenShell also has an option to immediately switch to WinX interface, its instant back and forth, I play with the WinX tile interface garbage when I have time but I know where my settings are.

Also, the WinX Resource Monitor is so much better its absolutely amazing and actually informative.

The snipping tool is not letting me screenshot with Start Menu clicked to show you, but if youre from Win7 and need to change any settings or just find tools or utilities, so much easier

ECWS
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks.

Do you use CCleaner or some tool to clean temp files, etc.?

CCleaner

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by ECWS.
            • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by ECWS.
            Attachments:
              CADesertRat
              AskWoody Plus

I use CCleaner on W10 Pro. But it certainly isn’t as old as the one you listed in your first post.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
              4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

anonymous

there are far better alternatives with some winapp2 research, bleachbit gets my vote :)/

CADesertRat
                AskWoody Plus

there are far better alternatives with some winapp2 research, bleachbit gets my vote

Although I have never tried bleachbit, I tried a number of others some time ago and then went back to CCleaner for simplicity and ease of use.

anonymous

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your comments.  I am an independent contractor where the company provides receptionist and allows me to tie in to their backed up server.  The computer is mine however they maintain and update the malware in order to protect the network.  I can contact them if there is a problem.  Maintenance is up to me.  I was used to using CCleaner for Windows 7 once a week to clean out the cookies and temp files.  Sometimes I would use Revo to clean out additional files.  I also used CCleaner for registry cleaning.  I would also check the Defragmenter but let it work automatically.  What I was wondering  – now that I have Windows 10 – if I need to do some of the same things or if it maintains itself.  The company will not do any maintenance unless I contact them with an issue.  Also wondering how the updates work.  Not even sure where to look to stop them or just let them run as normal.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It is an office computer provided to me

I work on the basis that my employer has supplied a tool. I will keep the outside clean and let them perform any other required maintenance. In other words, do nothing except use it responsibly.

I still think using CCleaner etc is a waste of your time.

cheers, Paul

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

With every new version of Windows going back to 95 there has been a learning curve for new features and changed UI. Even when I was still working full time I would take the plunge and just get used to the new version. I understand not everyone can do that. If you can spend the time of the next several weeks getting used to Windows 10, I recommend you do that before deciding about adding third party software.

There are many books available for Windows 10. Check out Windows 10 Field Guide. Very inexpensive in several e-book formats.

--Joe

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Just to add to the conversation, Google “Windows 10 for Dummies 2020” (without the quotes). Also there are hundreds of youtube videos on the subject.

As to seeing what version and build you are on, click Search>type in winver> and select it to open.

It will look like this:

winver

Attachments:
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

For cleaning, try BleachBit:
        https://www.bleachbit.org/

Beta Work {Got backup and coffee}
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
        offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
        online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.746 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox85.0 WindowsDefender TRV=2004 WuMgr
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New to Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.