News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New W10 computer –3 questions

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 New W10 computer –3 questions

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  DrBonzo 1 week ago.

• Author

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Taking it slowly to set up my brand new Dell PC. I have not even connected to the Internet yet; am first privatizing it, exploring, creating backup, etc. Thanks as always for the assistance; I’ll surely be asking for more before this process is over.

1. Windows says it’s 10.18362, build 18362. Is this a version from a year ago or so that they’ve sent me?
      2. The attached file shows various partitions on the C-drive. I’m curious as to what these may be, such as “Partition 1” and “Image.”
      3. It seems there is no way to create a rescue/repair disc for W10; now its the restore drive. Is this correct?
      Attachments:
    • #2012396 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

18362 appears to be V1903. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

The first 2 partitions are W10, the rest are Dell recovery.

To create a rescue disk you boot from a 3rd party backup disk/USB and backup to an external disk – before doing anything else. Failing that you’ll probably find if you boot to the dell recovery partition you can re-image from the image partition.

cheers, Paul

• #2012405 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Windows says it’s 10.18362, build 18362. Is this a version from a year ago or so that they’ve sent me?

Win10 Build 18362 is Windows version 1903 (but the reporting is strange, so it may be v1909)

The attached file shows various partitions on the C-drive. I’m curious as to what these may be, such as “Partition 1” and “Image.”

The C: is only your OS (Windows) partition. Partition 1 is the UEFI partitionon (boot). The WINRE Tools and the Image are for Recovery and Restore to Factory State. I’m not sure what Dell puts in the Support partition now – it used to be diagnostics that you could run (but that was long ago).

It seems there is no way to create a rescue/repair disc for W10; now its the restore drive. Is this correct?

All the Dells I have ever bought have provided sofrware to make a one-time set of Restore media (it uses the image in one of the partitions). Look through the software that came with the PC for software that lets you burh DVDs or a USB Redtore drive.
      The Rescue Media is usualy handled through the “Maintence” selection in the menu. It will make bootable media with access to Utilities (maybe Dell Support), System Restore, Command prompt, Recovery, startup repair, etc.

• #2012645 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

@pkcano wrote

All the Dells I have ever bought have provided sofrware to make a one-time set of Restore media (it uses the image in one of the partitions). Look through the software that came with the PC for software that lets you burh DVDs or a USB Redtore drive.

I’ve never used a Win 10 Dell but every Win 7 and 8.1 Dell I’ve ever used (roughly 20 of them) has “Dell Backup and Recovery” – or a name very similar to that – that you might want to check out. I’ve used it to create a rescue usb stick that reverts the machine to factory settings. You know, just in case I really botch something up in setting it up. I’d be surprised if Win 10 Dells didn’t have something similar. On Win 7 go to Start —> All Programs —> Dell. There are a handful or so of various Dell utilities there.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  DrBonzo.
    • #2012423 Reply

matjazp72
      AskWoody Plus

Just one quick note – if you have restore media or recovery partition and you do restore in let say March 2021, you will have automatically obsolete Windows operating system from the beginning. And outdated drivers etc etc…

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  matjazp72.
    • #2012433 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks to all. I am making a recovery drive on a USB, including system files as I write. I also use Acronis to regularly make full disc images and incremental backups. That will start in due course soon.

My searches are not finding a link to downloading W10 installation files, which I read, in a newsletter, I think, MS provides for free and area good thing to have on hand. I believe there was something about turning them into an ISO — I have no idea what that means in computers; in film, it’s the light sensitivity. Help, please?

• #2012434 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Build 18362.476 is November’s KB 4524570 version, on both 1903 & 1909. 18362.449 or earlier is 1903.

Typing WinVer in your taskbar search box should allow further details of the version you are on.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2012436 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Well, that’s interesting. The recovery drive creation with system files failed, but a recovery drive without them succeeded. The USB (16 GB, USB 3.0) was empty, Windows formatted it anyway. Might this be due to some Windows setting I changed? I turned off every “connection,” “assistance,” etc. setting I could find in settings.

• #2012445 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Build 18362.476 is November’s KB 4524570 version, on both 1903 & 1909. 18362.449 or earlier is 1903.

Typing WinVer in your taskbar search box should allow further details of the version you are on.

found it. It’s .365, so it’s 1903.

Thanks again.

• #2012596 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

It seems there is no way to create a rescue/repair disc for W10; now its the restore drive. Is this correct?

A system repair disk can be created at:  control panel / backup and restore (windows 7) / create a system repair disk.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New W10 computer –3 questions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.