Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • New Win10 beta Fast Ring build 17134

Home Forums AskWoody blog New Win10 beta Fast Ring build 17134

Tagged: 

This topic contains 33 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

It’s out and I’m downloading it now. I must say it was very kind of Microsoft to wait until I got my taxes done!
      [See the full post at: New Win10 beta Fast Ring build 17134]

• #185161 Reply

ch100
      AskWoody MVP

This is the RTM!

• #185167 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I should start taking bets…. πŸ˜‰

• #185254 Reply

zero2dash
          AskWoody Lounger

Reminds me of the Seinfeld where Kramer swore he’d never talk again, starting….now! [bumps toe on table] {pause} NOW! and then at the end of the episode, when the cat’s out of the bag and Jerry finds out he talked to Sally, he says “ok, starting NOW”.

• #185191 Reply

anonymous

Woody, Maybe you can check if http://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/07/microsoft-breaks-disable-web-search-in-windows-10-version-1803/ has been fixed? Thank you!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #185197 Reply

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Lounger

Yet another reason to avoid Windows 10 like the plague. Actually, two more reasons: not only do they help themselves to your search terms on your own PC by disabling “disable Web search,” but they also fail to honor the settings they have themselves offered as the way to disable Web search.

The charitable interpretation of this is that Windows engineers at Microsoft are incompetent and don’t know what they’re doing. The less charitable interpretation is that they do know what they’re doing. The latter would make it a third new reason to avoid Windows 10 like the plague.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Cybertooth.
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #185266 Reply

Noel Carboni
          AskWoody MVP

The implications of this are even more profound given that the easy Start Menu replacement package Classic Shell, which sported its own search (which could be separated from the web), is no longer being developed.

The simple fact is that Microsoft wants Windows to become something other than a computer operating system. Whether that be “cloud appliance” or maybe just “history” remains to be seen. But none of these moves are good for those of us imagining continuing to need computing…

-Noel

• #185272 Reply

zero2dash
            AskWoody Lounger

My old boss used to say that he thought that Windows 10 was pushed so hard by MS to essentially be a computing resource botnet for Azure. Obviously if there were large performance takeaways, it’d be noticeable – but if it was small, like, say 5% or 10%, most people would never notice. Take those 5% or 10% resources, multiply by all the active and online Win10 installs worldwide… obviously that gives you a lot of computing power at practically no cost.

MS lately turning more into an Azure-pusher than a Windows OS supporter – there’s a lot more smoke to the fire now IMHO.

OT – for anyone wanting a great local search – check out Everything. https://www.voidtools.com/

• #185510 Reply

MrJimPhelps
            AskWoody MVP

So Noel, how is your Linux evaluation going?

Jim

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
            with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #185315 Reply

anonymous

Agree. MS engineers have no clue what they are doing. This is the main reason to avoid Windows 10 with a 10′ stick or more.

• #185203 Reply

anonymous

This looks to be intentional since it only affects Pro and not Enterprise. Another step in making Pro useless for business users.

• #185212 Reply

Wazhai
        AskWoody Lounger

Nope, it’s not fixed in 17134.1 Pro. I still get web search results and suggestions with all the relevant group policies set.

• #185240 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody MVP

Isn’t tomwarren’s tweet sarcastic? πŸ™‚

• #185268 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

When does sarcasm cease to be funny and turn to sad, because it’s all too much a reflection of reality?

-Noel

• #185243 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

I’m still using Classic Shell. The search bar in it doesn’t seem to have the problem of picking up web results. Can’t stand all the web stuff when I’m trying to do a local search!

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #185269 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

Me too. The problem is, what do you do with Classic Shell when it stops working? Make no mistake, Microsoft isn’t interested in maintaining compatibility with it.

Sure, we could imagine it living on as open source. Heck, some of us might even be able to fix it, but I’ll wager almost everyone has other things to do.

-Noel

• #185511 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody MVP

Depends on how bad someone wants Classic Shell to work with Windows 10.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #185287 Reply

anonymous

Apparently the real delay is Microsoft trying to come up with a name for the new Feature Update. Expect minor updates until this has been resolved πŸ˜›

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #185296 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

Maybe Marketing management said, “It has to have the words ‘Spring’ and ‘Creators’ in it. Use those any way you can to make it sound fresh and unique.”

πŸ™‚

-Noel

• #185297 Reply

geekdom
          AskWoody Lounger

That’s it! Call it “Fresh”.

Group G{ot backup} Win7|64-bit|SP1|TestBeta

• #185303 Reply

EP
      AskWoody Lounger
    • #185307 Reply

Jan K.
      AskWoody Lounger

… delayed due to some last-minute Blue Screen of Death issues

Hm? That hasn’t bothered them much before?

Can hardly wait for the April, 2020 version – the one that hits right after Win7 bites the dust. According to current naming conventions, that’ll be Win10 2003.

Had my hands on a W10 yesterday… simply can’t stand those tiles… blinking, updating…

Perhaps “Windows Themes” in Win10 2003 will have developed into a useful feature easily letting me choose a, let’s say, W7 theme? Never understood, why MS hasn’t offered this?

Will probably pop in for a check in 2020!

• #185312 Reply

bobcat5536
      AskWoody Lounger

Name it “Your Worst Nightmare ” Version whatever. That way you have all the seasons covered. No problem.

• #185345 Reply

Seff
      AskWoody Lounger

Woody, I wouldn’t be so sure about Windows 7 biting the dust (although I do understand what you meant)!Β  many Windows 7 users are currently running security on December 2017 settings – on the best advice – and the longer this patching mess goes on (with no resulting problems from ignoring updates)Β  the more they’ll get used to the idea of just not bothering with updates at all so January 2020 won’t seem anything like the dramatic deadline it may have once appeared to be. That’s especially likely to be the case if Microsoft continue to bury Windows 10 ever deeper into the mire.

• #185350 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

I just visited a WalMart store this morning and happened to see one of their self-check-out registers reboot. They are running Win7 POS-Ready!

Way-to-go, WalMart!!!!

• #185408 Reply

anonymous

In my area, Walmart are running XP in their self-check-out registers. Must have update in your area.

Windows XP is and forever will be the best OS.

• #185534 Reply

anonymous

At Stop&Shop in my area, they are running Windows 98 with Kernelex. There was an error message that Kernelex could not be loaded. They are way behind the line.

• #185427 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody MVP

I’ve just received an insider’s letter. In it, they point to a link where they explain all the recent improvements to search due to insider’s feedback. What you get from this funny piece of work is that search improved in many different ways by adding many things that were there prior to Cortana’s taking over…

No word on insiders being mad at web search. Apparently, they love seeing images taken from the web when they search for justin bieber on their computer. I wonder what will happen when I search for a Naked City album on my computer.

My favorite improvement to search is amazing. Something nobody ever thought about before: now search can search in all your indexed locations right away, not just one folder of your user profile. Apparently, it was a very difficult feature to add. Sshhh.

• #185675 Reply

radosuaf
      AskWoody Lounger

Well…

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/official-windows-10-rs4-build-17133-1-rtm.420202/page-14#post-5538829

This latest 17134.1 is the first build that has broken my installs of both Sonar 6 Producer Edition and Ableton Live 9 Lite since I originally installed W10 1709 November last year. I also installed Bandlab’s Cakewalk (formerly called Sonar) yesterday, which also has a problem with connecting to the database, which means the plugins aren’t activated.

S6PE, Ableton and the Cakewalk plugins now all moan about not being installed properly.

Musicians beware of upgrading to this build as it seems to break some DAWs.

Update: I just re-installed Ableton Live 9 Lite and I’m still getting the same problem. It’s now completely un-usable, closing after error box pops up. This might be a W10 build problem, rather than some registry errors.

I recommend not upgrading to 17134.1 and waiting for a later build when MS fixes the problems.

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit + Windows 10 Mobile 1709 (Lumia 640 LTE)
      • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  radosuaf.
      • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  PKCano.
    • #185694 Reply

radosuaf
      AskWoody Lounger

And this is even better:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-latest-windows-10-spring-creators-update-rtm-candidate-may-have-its-own-serious-bug/

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit + Windows 10 Mobile 1709 (Lumia 640 LTE)
      • #185715 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I saw that. Neither of my bare-metal 1803 machines shows this behavior….

• #185716 Reply

radosuaf
          AskWoody Lounger

Must be specific to some configurations or Home/Pro dependant maybe? I guess all of them are Pro in your case?

• #185722 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

I do not have the problem on my 1803 Build 17134.1 Insider Pro in a Parallels VM either.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: New Win10 beta Fast Ring build 17134

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.