News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Newbie, How do use AskWoody to know which patch is good or bad

Posted on hongning Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Newbie, How do use AskWoody to know which patch is good or bad

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Purg2 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

hongning
      AskWoody Lounger

Sorry I am new to this, I cant seem to figure out, how will I know which patch are good and which are bad.  Is there a general list for a Windows version which says which patch is good or bad?  Thanks for helping out a newbie

• #144554 Trash | Reply

Purg2
      AskWoody Lounger

Welcome to the group Hongning.

What I do is pay attention to the most recent topic regarding the MS-DEFCON status.  Right now it is set at two.  The DEFCON system is detailed in a topic that is linked at the top of the forum on the toolbar: Home, Lounge Forums, MS-DEFCON System.  To go along with that status, Woody will usually post a topic raising it or lowering it, usually on patch Tuesday or the week before. In this topic there will be a published article on Computer World highlighting updates & issues that might be problematic & which ones are challenging & so forth.  I will watch this topic like a hawk so I can stay current on which updates effect me & the things that others mention about them.

A few weeks later, after we’ve all spoken about what’s going on, Woody will make another post letting us know it’s safe to install the updates for the month, usually near the end of the month.  In the original post he will usually have a Computer World article that goes into detail about current conditions, which updates might be an issue & how to deal with them.  The next month it starts all over again with the raising or lowering of the DEFCON etc.

This is the most recent announcement he has made.

MS-DEFCON 2: Non-security Office updates due today

There are basically two types of methods that are advocated when installing updates.  Group A or Group B.  Group A is mostly automated to a degree & the method does not change from month to month, except for when to actually install them, dictated by the DEFCON status.  Group B is a bit more intensive for those of us that prefer more control over the updating process.  After the DEFCON has changed, when it’s actually time for me to install the updates, I will take a look at one of two topics to supplement my own personal process.

These are the two topics about Group A & Group B.

Group A

2000004: How to apply the Win7 and 8.1 Monthly Rollups

Group B
      https://askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/

This is also a handy way to sort the forum for personal consumption that helps me to see what is new on the forum.
      https://askwoody.com/forums/view/topics-freshness/

Additionally there are various other locations for more specific discussion listed on the right panel: The Ask Woody Lounge.  Members are encouraged to post in the support forum if they have questions about their particular OS.

Have fun & good luck on your adventure.

Win 8.1 Group B, Linux Dabbler

4 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Newbie, How do use AskWoody to know which patch is good or bad

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.