News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Newcomer Tip – Direct Messages

Posted on Chris Greaves Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody Central Tips for using the Lounge Newcomer Tip – Direct Messages

• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Chris Greaves
        AskWoody Plus

I am used to Direct Messages (“Private Messages”, “Private Mail” etc.) but was flummoxed recently. Here is a description of what I saw, and what I learned.Above: I receive a link via Email. So far so good.

I clicked on the link.DM02Now the first time I clicked on that link in the email I saw what you see above, except that I saw the entire message.

I read the message, thought “This needs thinking about”, and moved on.DM03Later that day I clicked on the email link a second time (then a third, fourth etc.) and saw what you see above. I clicked/chose everything that looked like a hyperlink, and stuff that didn’t look like a hyperlink, just in case.

Nothing. Nada. Nil. Nix.

Customer Support retrieved the text for me (Thank you Customer Support!), and thus emboldened I re-visited the scene.

I had missed playing with the “Toggle Messages” button; I had interpreted that as “Toggle/switch between Messages and Forums”, and I was trying to read messages”.

Strangely I clicked on pretty well everything else in sight, even the asterisks scattered around, Just In Case.DM04As soon as I tried the Toggle command, the message text sprang into view. Astute readers will notice that this text is the second message from Elly; the first was some seven days before this second message. I wanted to show that there was real text here!

I ***think*** that the Toggle switch does not appear in the first view of a Direct Message, but the switch is set ON for message viewing. I think too that the first viewing by a user toggles the text view OFF. So, automatically you see the full message body on your first view, but the full message body is toggled OFF automatically.

Cheers

Chris

"Almost works" means it doesn’t work.

Attachments:
      • #2277796 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

PMs here are not great, but we don’t use them much / encourage use of.

cheers, Paul

• #2277805 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Hmmm, I received this post (by email) and in the past others randomly that say’s that I am subscribed to the thread but I was clearly not subscribed to this or those threads. Do some post’s just go out to everyone?

Not complaining, and happy to get the threads I subscribe to, but just curious about unsubscribed threads going out. I have subscribed to this thread so that I can see if there is an answer.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #2277866 Reply
          Elly
          AskWoody MVP

If you are subscribed to a forum, you will receive e-mail’s for new Topics posted within that forum. You may have subscribed to Tips for Using the Lounge, or AskWoody Central…

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2277902 Reply
            CADesertRat
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the reply Elly and I am subscribed now so that I could get an answer, but I clearly wasn’t subscribed when I originally responded by clicking the link in the email. This isn’t the first time I have received response emails from a thread that I wasn’t subscribed to, hence my earlier question.

Hope you had a nice 4th 🙂

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
            4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2306867 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Getting back to Direct Messages, how do you delete the Direct Messages you no longer need?

Group L
        No situation is that bad that it can't get worse tomorrow.

• #2306871 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Click on “Message Box” at the top.
          Click the check box next to the message to be deleted. (Be careful not to click the top box which marks all messages)
          Above the check boxes, click the pulldown “Bulk action”
          Choose “Delete” and click Apply
          It deletes the whole thread, you cannot delete a single entry.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Newcomer Tip – Direct Messages

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.