Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Newly revised: Top 35 FREE apps for Windows 10

Home Forums AskWoody blog Newly revised: Top 35 FREE apps for Windows 10

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 4 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

The best of the best, IMHO. Do you have alternatives? Computerworld Today’s Best Reads.
      [See the full post at: Newly revised: Top 35 FREE apps for Windows 10]

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #217995 Reply

georgea
      AskWoody Lounger

Goodness… how could Voidtool’s Everything not make this list? I couldn’t live without it – use it many times/day to find things. It is a lifesaver.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #217996 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

Of the apps you listed, Woody, Audacity is my favorite. Sometimes I teach; and whenever I do, I record my lectures using Voice Memo on my iPhone. Audacity can read iPhone Voice Memo files, and so I import the recordings into Audacity, adjust the volume here and there, and remove unwanted noises, such as coughs; I then export them to MP3 format. Easy to use, and works like a champ.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #217998 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

Many of these programs work for Windows 7 as well.

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #218001 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody MVP

Great list. I wonder why Gimp is not on it. Some people need a great Image Editor. You might as well throw in the trio of Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus. Maybe Blender? If Gimp seems too difficult for casual users, maybe suggest something better than Paint3D? It shouldn’t be hard to find. The folks at Gimp deserve the publicity. I think they do a great job.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #218040 Reply

anonymous

GIMP 2.10 is part Classic & in-development New experience for the better as-is using the installed set of plug-ins. If any of you current GIMP users need a plethora of Photoshop like effects and wonder if such a piece of software exists… Yes! The name is G’MIC (GREYC’s Image Magic for Computing), this plug-in is still in very active development with a very diverse set of included effects and special utility functions. Enjoy!

• #218131 Reply

JohnW
        AskWoody Lounger

Gimp is great, but slightly advanced for the average user.  I have it installed, but it is more of a Photoshop clone.

For quick intuitive edits, I prefer the free paint.net.  https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool.

• #218011 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

Revo Uninstaller > Geek Uninstaller (can remove Win10 apps, is portable)
      EaseUS Todo Backup > Macrium Reflect Free
      Autoruns/Process Explorer/NirSoft > WSCC Windows System Control Center (WSCC is an all-in-one that includes all the SysInternals & NirSoft apps, and it keeps them up to date as well)
      WinDirStat > SpaceSniffer (prefer how SS shows files in the tree)
      Malwarebytes > AdwCleaner (AdwCleaner is basically MBAM without having to be installed)
      LastPass > KeePass (LastPass has been hacked, KeePass you choose where your files are stored)
      Dropbox > Google Drive (15 GB free space is the top of the reputable choices)
      Handbrake > InfraRecorder (Handbrake does not burn discs)
      Notepad Next > Notepad++
      Tixati > qBittorrent
      Peazip > 7zip (7z vulnerability was also exploitable in any other app that used the 7z.dll AFAIK)

Not mentioned that I’ll swear by:
      Everything (search)
      Ditto (clipboard manager)
      OBS Studio (screen/game recording)
      Shotcut (for video editing)
      Visual Studio Code
      HomeBank (free Quicken alternative)
      GIMP (image manipulation/Photoshop clone)

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #218137 Reply

anonymous

WizTree is almost identical visually to WinDirStat but runs at Everything’s speed.

• #218037 Reply

Jan K.
      AskWoody Lounger

Been running water-cooled systems “forever” and has just as long been using temp monitoring programs Real Temp for motherboard/cpu and Gpu-Z for graphics cards.

Very good for stressed nerves… 😀

Very interesting list, thanks a lot.

Could also have added TreeSize
      Found it during the epic GWX battle days, trying to figure out, what was clogging up my system drive. Was also the reason I found AskWoody, so certainly worth mentioning! 😀

Ps. can’t read the computerworld link’s text on this #¤%¤& android tablet, as the page keep scrolling up to top….?
      Ps. Ps. not a fan of these “multi-page” articles. Prefer a long list with index top right… but given the price for the content, guess I can live with it! 😀
      But still…

• #218166 Reply

anonymous

The “Scroll up” feature was also broken in Firefox Quantum on OSX.

• #218070 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

TreeSize is nice. I used this software to remove a corrupt directory yesterday evening.

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
      • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  geekdom.
    • #218104 Reply

anonymous

Revo Uninstaller is overrated and cannot uninstall Windows Store Apps.

Geek Uninstaller completely removes Windows Store Apps with the registry entries. It is not reinstalled by Windows. Geek Uninstaller > View > Windows Store Apps > Right click > Uninstall.

• #218135 Reply

anonymous

I’m not a fan of slide shows, any way to get the list all on one page?

• #218176 Reply

anonymous

Ps. can’t read the computerworld link’s text on this #¤%¤& android tablet, as the page keep scrolling up to top….?

This happens on chrome and firefox on computer as well. It has been a problem with computerworld site for months now.

• #218186 Reply

anonymous

Yeah, I just tried recent Firefox on Fedora Linux, and vertical scrolling is broken for Computerworld slide shows too.  After you flip slides a few times, you can even use the right-side vertical scroll bar in Firefox.  I tried looking at the Javascript, but it’s too ugly.

• #218183 Reply

anonymous

I would like to hear comments on EaseUS ToDo backup.  Now version 11.5

Everytime I’m about ready to give the free version a try, I read something else about it having problems.  Everything from it force installs other programs, to it doesnt uninstall easily, to the emergency disk/usb creator seldom works due to missing drivers, etc.

What say you?

• #218187 Reply

anonymous

I personally use EditPad Lite as my go-to plain text editor. It’s simple enough for a newbie to use yet has a lot of the features that a more advanced user might want to use. It too supports tabbed editing and doesn’t save stuff to a cloud behind your back. The developer is highly committed to high quality products and is quite passionate about his work. There’s also a Pro version that isn’t free, but for me the Lite version is more than adequate (it’s free for personal use). Oh, and it installs and updates almost completely seamlessly!

• #218190 Reply

SteveTree
      AskWoody Lounger

Ninite. Have it but never use it. I prefer to download programs direct from the authors site AFTER checking it on Virus Total.

Revo uninstaller. Great but recently had issues with it not completing on a program and shifted to Geek uninstaller . So far, no regrets.

For me, one of the main reasons to use Process Explorer is that it has an option to submit autorun entries to Virus Total, which makes it useful as a secondary scanner.

Windows Defender. Malwarebytes picked up the the C-Cleaner virus on my PC. I checked the package via Virus Total  (3 out of 60-odd at the time). I kept checking. At the time I stopped checking about half the AV companies were reporting C-Cleaner. Microsoft was not one of those. Independent AV testing reports for Defender are excellent but it seems from my experience with C-Cleaner that Microsoft may be slower to react to new malware than others.

Malwarebytes. Lost count of the number of other people’s computers I cleaned with it or recommend they use it.

One shortcoming of Google photos is the ability to link-share photos in a public space but there is a workaround, detailed in Youtube.  WARNING: delve deep into your Google account settings to ensure you prevent sharing your photo location publicly.

The free version of Office online lacks Macros (not sure about the paid version). An alternative office suite is Google’s collection, which has scripting language in the free version (based on Java not Basic so, there is a long lead time for power users who are unfamilar with Java). In my opinion Google’s offering will suit many users but is not the equivalent of Office for inclusion of function or ease of use. Ss someone who’s been using Office since the initial release, I would say that!

VLC alternatives. For those who use a low-spec machine and experience issues with VLC buffering videos and/or not synchronising video sound, two alternatives are SPlayer  and MPV . There’s not a lot between them. MPV is semi-portable in that you don’t need to specifiy and install location but you need to run a .bat file to get around Windows 10’s unfriendly attitude to extension association for non-installed files.

One step up from Nirsoft is WSCC (Windows System Control Center) . It provides and interface to the whole grab bag of Nirsoft, SysInternals and other utilities. Users can choose to ‘install’ individual utilities, the who package or to access them on-demand (so, always the latest version). The menu provides a means of checking for new and updates utilities. It is portable so can be placed on a USB stick for use on different devices.

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
      Win 7 64 Pro desktop
      Win 10 32 Home portable

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #218311 Reply

anonymous

Woody (or anyone),

PeaZip looks like a winner, I assume the installed version overrides/replaces Windows 10 built in Zipping program?

Does the Portable PeaZip override it?  Or does it exist side-by-side?  Or does it only function when activated?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Newly revised: Top 35 FREE apps for Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.