News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• News and Interests is not a new feature

Home Forums AskWoody blog News and Interests is not a new feature

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

So that thing with the weather that you think is the new thing with 21H1? It’s actually not new for that feature release. Rather it’s included in all
        [See the full post at: News and Interests is not a new feature]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        WYT
        AskWoody Lounger

I think it’s getting a slow rollout over several weeks as a server side push from Microsoft and isn’t included automatically with Windows Updates.  The latest patches just allow it to work once Microsoft enables it for your PC.  I have yet to see it on any home PCs or domain joined work PCs that are fully patched.  Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.  All of my PCs are still on 2004.

You’ll also see a Feeds.admx file added to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions if you want to disable it with Group Policy.

SteveTree
        AskWoody Lounger

In this part of the world we have localised weather services to give more relevant information. I access mine via an app on the phone. Ditto News. In comparison, the Windows ‘offering’ is inferior and irrelevant. As far as I am concerned, this is yet another Windows annoyance pushed onto users wasting disk space whether they want it or not.

VIA THE STORE PLEASE MICROSOFT.

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
        Win 7 64 Pro desktop
        Win 10 64 Home portable

schwabel_ronald
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve seen it on the Dev Insider releases and the Beta Release.  The Dev releases have an additional capability to prevent it from popping up in your face every time you move the mouse over the hot area of the Taskbar (hover) while the beta release doesn’t have the option to prevent it from coming up if you get the mouse anywhere near the right side of the task bar.

I much prefer it to stay on the task bar unless I click on the area.

It can be completely disabled by right clicking on the taskbar and selecting News and Interests.

I agree that it is just bloatware and I wish it was just an App store App.

F A Kramer
          AskWoody Plus

Ronald: My apology for not noticing that you had already posted the way to turn off the news and interests “feature”. Well, better two of us than neither!

= Ax Kramer

schwabel_ronald
            AskWoody Lounger

I just installed the latest Insider Beta build – 19043.1023 on a Hyper-V system.

The Taskbar settings for News and Interests now has the ability to disable the open on hover so it is not as aggressive as on prior builds.  Not having the ability to keep it from popping up whenever the mouse strayed into the area on the right side of the taskbar was my main complaint.  I can’t see much value in News and Interests and may end up disabling it completely after I have had a chance to look at it some more.

I don’t know when this option will make it to the normal patch Tuesday updates, but it is coming sometime soon.

F A Kramer
        AskWoody Plus

This $%#^%@# showed up on my taskbar by the notification area (tray) on a Win10 computer a few days ago as a weather report and icon. The computer is still using (abusing?) 20H2. I did find a way to get rid of it: right click on a vacant place on the taskbar, scroll down to news and interests, put the mouse pointer on the item, select “Turn off”. Gone for good!

Chris Greaves
          AskWoody Plus

“Gone for good!”

Or perhaps only until the next update …

Cheers

Chris

Unless you're in a hurry, just wait.

mbhelwig
        AskWoody Lounger

So that thing with the weather that you think is the new thing with 21H1? It’s actually not new for that feature release. Rather it’s included in all [See the full post at: News and Interests is not a new feature]

I have 2 machines, both with win 10 home installed. One shows the “weather thing” which I turned off. The other machine has been updated to 21H1 but the “weather thing” is absent. I am not complaining but MS what does “consistent” mean…………….

mbhelwig

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 Pro 21H1. News and Interests disabled by default in GP so no weather on taskbar.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Sorry for my rant. Does the weather and news widget respect my default browser setting? Or is it going to be Chredge promo? Also Foreca promo, isnt it.

Foreca provides weather and road weather services to the automotive, digital media, and winter road maintenance industries. Since 2004, the company has had a contract with Microsoft to produce content for its international MSN websites and Microsoft Windows.

If this is the top what 21h1 can offer, Im not impressed, nor interested. Are there more significant changes in 21h1? What microsoft did for optimizing performance and security?

Windows 10 21H1 new features:
        + New Windows Hello multi-camera feature.
        + News and interests widget for Windows 10 21H1 taskbar.
        + Windows Mixed Reality new feature to set the sleep timer for headsets.
        + Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) improvements.
        + Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) improvements.
        + New Microsoft Edge (Chromium) support for kiosk mode on Windows 10 May 2021 Update.
        + WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service improvements.
        + Updates the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) Device Management (DM) sync protocol.
        + Windows 10 startup times for apps with roaming settings improvements on version 21H1.
        + Windows Server Storage Migration Service new feature to migrate from NetApp FAS arrays to Windows Servers and clusters.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

anonymous

Given what its actual purpose seems to be, this is entirely expected. They’re trying to funnel people into using their servers for this stuff, instead of third party services. Plus it justifies having Edge running at startup. For that to work, they need to get it to everyone. Gotta get those numbers up and monetize everything.

I actually uninstalled Edge as it tried to force me to go through some upgrade prompts, not letting me access my desktop until I did so. There was no skip or cancel button, and trying to close it from the taskbar wouldn’t work. ALT-F4 was the only way out, but it left junk running in the background, and I didn’t want it to pop up again, so googled how to uninstall it. I don’t know why it was only this obtrusive on one computer and not the other: maybe because the other one uses Chromium, and Microsoft detected Chrome on this computer?

The irony is that I had considered using ChrEdge as a browser before that. Now I’ll even be replacing my Weather app. I barely use it anyways: if I’m going out, I have my phone, where the weather is a widget on the homescreen from an app I chose to install. And if I want an extended forecast, my browser is always open, and I have a bookmark on my toolbar for checking the Weather Channel.

anonymous

When I disable it my taskbar clock and system tray glitches out. Anyone experience the same thing when nonsense showed up on their taskbar?

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: News and Interests is not a new feature

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.