Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Nice Linux Mint Laptop

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  planet 2 months ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

Looking for a nice Linux Mint laptop? Here’s a refurbished HP with a 14″ screen, 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 16GB), and a 320 GB hard drive for $114.99 and free shipping!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/REFURBISHED-HP-6470B-Probook-14-B-Grade-I3-3110M-2-4GHZ-4GB-320GB-Windows-7-Professional-No-Webcam/363651826?athcpid=363651826&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=a51fd9e6-6d1-16683bddc063ef&athena=true

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #225337 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

It looks from the page the link takes one to that this is a machine with Widows 7 installed, but there is no mention of Linux being also installed on it. Is this perhaps a suggestion that, this being a really cheap machine where one could install Linux if one wanted to, if one did that and then something went very wrong, it would not be such a big loss after all? Not at all a bad idea, I must say.

• #225403 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

Exactly. You will have to download and install Linux yourself. I was commenting only on the machine itself, not on what is currently installed on it.

And the fact that it comes with Windows 7 installed means that you can use it as a Windows 7 machine if you prefer Windows 7.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
    • #225362 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody MVP

That does look like a very nice, affordable Linux Mint device. Even though I now prefer Dell’s, I’ve never had any problems installing Linux Mint on the HP ProBook series.

IMO they are very solid business-orientated devices and I’ve worked with/configured thousands of them in my last job before I retired.

I still use two to this day… an older HP ProBook 6475b and an HP ProBook 6545b. Lovely machines… even if the finger recognition on the 6475b can get ‘interesting’ at times. 🙂

• #225406 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

HP is very repairable. HP always puts very detailed, easy-to-follow instructions on their website for tearing down and rebuilding their laptops.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
    • #225364 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Seems a prime candidate, as a Budget alternative, for either dual Boot Ubuntu, Mint or quite a few of the Linux Distro’s and Win7 Pro possibly up to and after EOL for Win7. Should you wish to “turn to the Dark Side” aka Win10 Pro after which is a fairly useful Version of the Win10 family, looks like its got a VGA port on the back as well as HDMI, perfect for repurposing that old flat screen monitor that you might (Multi Monitor??) have kicking around somewhere. One caveat for “Windoze” and Linux users alike HP doesnt do Bios display or working in the WINRE/PE from a Boot disk or stick, or poorly on external Monitors and I think maybe the same for Linux????? although the onboard screen should be fine. The onboard RAM size is 4GB’s plenty for everyday stuff, even Win10, but a little sedate for anything more intensive alas, but with a price like that hey you could always find acceptable workarounds and its a Breeze to update the Memory and HDD and or replace with an SSD your self (different models but as so often the internal Arch. is almost identical), I wish they were all that easy, HP has reasonably good support for Drivers etc, cant really go wrong

• #225405 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

The only limitation with this machine as it is currently configured is that if you want to run a virtual machine, you barely have enough memory to do so. 4GB will get the job done, but performance will suffer with such a small amount of memory. But if you bump it up to at least 8 GB, you would be in good shape to have either Windows 7 or Linux as your host OS, and the other OS running in a virtual machine.

The web listing doesn’t say whether you get 32-bit or 64-bit Windows (or if the machine itself is 32-bit or 64-bit). I assume that both are 64-bit, because the machine is expandable to 16 GB of RAM. That much RAM makes no sense if the machine (and OS) were 32-bit.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #225434 Reply

HiFlyer
      AskWoody Lounger

Just talked on the phone with CTechCity.  No international shipping.

• #225442 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

Too bad. This is a great deal.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
    • #225490 Reply

planet
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m all patched up on my Win 7 64 bit through August. Since then, I’ve installed Linux Mint 19 with a dual boot on my old 2010 Toshiba Satellite Laptop (4 GB Ram). Consequently, I’m moving to Group W from Group B. I’ll continue using Win 7 for offline stuff and Mint for online. Perhaps I’ll reconsider and resume updating Win 7 if the need arises but for now, Linux is my go to for online activity.

Group L (Linux Mint 19)
      Dual Boot with Win 7
      Former
      Group B Win 7 64 bit

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Nice Linux Mint Laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.