News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • "no disc in drive" only for pre-recorded dvds

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 "no disc in drive" only for pre-recorded dvds

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Berton 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Shai
      AskWoody Plus

I am on WIN 10 Pro 64 bits version 180

With the upgrade, DVD player not longer recognizes Pre-Recorded DVDs.

​My own recordings play.

I changed the DVD region to 2. No help. I then went back to region 1.

• #1371974 Trash | Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

By “DVD player not longer recognizes Pre-Recorded DVDs” do you mean it doesn’t play commercial movies?  Can you see any data on those discs in File Explorer?  Win10 does have an issue with movies that I find is usually corrected by installing the free VLC/VideoLAN player.  There probably are other such programs available, I search in http://www.majorgeeks.com for software I need or might use.

https://www.videolan.org/

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #1386596 Trash | Reply

Shai
        AskWoody Plus

Good Question.

File Explorer says drive is empty with Pre-Recorded media.

File Explorer sees my own recorded media.

• #1383356 Trash | Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

… heh, “commercial movies” … I used to keep around a non-copy-protected but otherwise factory-type DVD for testing things. It happened to be a commercial for a house paint brand, because that was the most … neutral… thing at hand, of that type.

See, looked from the technical side, you’d occasionally see non-copy-protected shows on DVD even with actual content. Especially where the distributor has other motives than profit. Religious cartoons for kids is one category I’ve noticed where this is fairly common, but using those in a professional context is a bit… sensitive…

• #1387688 Trash | Reply

Shai
      AskWoody Plus

Correction:

Version 1809

• #1389766 Trash | Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 won’t play DVDs natively, and Windows Media Center is gone.
      You need a 3rd party app, like VLC, MPC-HC (both have portable versions)…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1394749 Trash | Reply

Shai
      AskWoody Plus

VLC does work but only with DVDs I have recorded.

File Explorer says that the DVD-RW Drive is empty and the I should insert a DVD when I put in a pre-recorded DVD.

• #1396524 Trash | Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

I changed the DVD region to 2. No help. I then went back to region 1.

How many times have you changed the region? There’s a maximum built into the drive…

• #1396720 Trash | Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

IIRC it’s five times then the CD/DVD drive is stuck on the last region selected.

********** Peng/Wins x86/x64 **********

• #1402212 Trash | Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

VLC does work but only with DVDs I have recorded.

File Explorer says that the DVD-RW Drive is empty and the I should insert a DVD when I put in a pre-recorded DVD.

I keep a couple of External USB ODDs on hand against the time I see problems with the Internal drives, allows determining if the problem is electromechanical or software.  The Internal drives are quite inexpensive now, at least in the USA, available at less than $40 or maybe half that online.  And many newer Notebooks don’t come with ODDs so the External can be quite handy.  I think everyone should have access to an ODD to, at the least, copy the contents of a disc to a USB Thumb drive.

• #1403871 Trash | Reply

Shai
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you, Berton.

Nice suggestion.

The timing belt no longer giving traction may explain the drive recognizing only DVDs that I burned.

• #1402655 Trash | Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Sometimes I need a smack on the head to clear my memory.  Your mention of your recordings working suggests the timing of the mechanism inside the ODD is the problem in that it will only recognize those recordings since they were done in that ODD.   If one takes an ODD apart they’ll likely see a small rubber belt in it that drives things which could be over time has lost its ‘traction’.  The solution most likely is a replacement drive.

• #1409479 Trash | Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Thank you, Berton.

Nice suggestion.

The timing belt no longer giving traction may explain the drive recognizing only DVDs that I burned.

You’re welcome.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: "no disc in drive" only for pre-recorded dvds

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.