News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • No, I don't use Google or Chrome

Posted on bbearren Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories No, I don't use Google or Chrome

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Razz 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

An interesting article from naked security by sophos about a obfuscated browser setting that is being taken away.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #350361 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

and the cookies required to link two or more requests to the same individual are easily blocked by browser settings or plugins.

Using an add blocker would go some of the way to avoiding being tracked like this. But often, when visiting Web sites, a box does pop up asking me to turn off the add blocker. And, if the contents are either interesting, or important enough to me, I have no choice but to oblige.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #350387 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

hyperlink auditing pings

This is a long-established HTML feature that’s set as an attribute “the ping variable” which turns a link into a URL that can be tracked by website owners or advertisers to monitor what users are clicking on.

I had started research on telemetry blocking as a topic for a post, mainly for Windows10, but it soon got to where I needed a boat to float above the sewer, and it’s deep. Few people have any idea what is being sent, not only from ‘clicks’, but from app’s and hardware that you may have installed on your computer. So deep.
      Telemetry … that’s what the hyperlink reference above from the article is.
      It’s all for customer satisfaction, uh-huh. I agree with @oscarcp, if I want to read something, I’ll loosen up on the reins a bit.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

• #351382 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I use a convoluted browsing technique.  I use Firefox and uBlock.  My home page is Startpage.com; “You can’t beat Google when it comes to online search. So we’re paying them to use their brilliant search results in order to remove all trackers and logs. The result: The world’s best and most private search engine. Only now you can search without ads following you around, recommending products you’ve already bought. And no more data mining by companies with dubious intentions. We want you to dance like nobody’s watching and search like nobody’s watching.”

We don’t collect or share your personal information. Ever. There’s literally no data about you on our servers. None. We can’t profile you, and we can’t be forced to hand over your data to authorities, simply because we don’t have any data to hand over.”

Other search engines use your search habits to serve you results they think you want, essentially trapping you in an echo chamber of results. With Startpage.com, you break through the filter bubble to see a wider variety of results.”

What I do is to jump through Startpage to get scrubbed on every web foray.  Say for example, I have another site in mind when I leave AskWoody, I’ll click on my home page icon and go to Startpage, and from there I’ll visit my intended site.  After that site, it’s back to Startpage before I visit the next site in my rambling.  Using this pattern, my web history is at least 50% Startpage.

And the bottom line is that I don’t get any targeted ads, anywhere.  That shows me that there is some effect in this habit that seems to be of benefit.  If I happen to visit a page that throws up the “You’re using an ad-blocker”, I leave that page.  There’s nothing there that I want to see that badly.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #352294 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

The blurb on Startpage also says they pay google to use googles search engine, less the ‘spy, store and share’ functions google is so popular for. I use Startpage on Firefox browser, but more often than not I use Startpage on Waterfox, which doesn’t gather or share any data from you.

Unlike Waterfox’s browser, Firefox set at default, does collect and phone home.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

• #1974613 Reply

Razz
          AskWoody Plus

Blutrix – What is the Startpage and Waterfox business model? Start page is profitable since 2004 supposedly.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Razz.
    • #1852703 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: No, I don't use Google or Chrome

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.