News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • No more patches for me!

Posted on WoollyMammoth Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 No more patches for me!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WoollyMammoth 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, for the second time in a couple of months I’ve had to put my pre-updates backup on.  That’s yet another hour of my life I won’t get back, to add to all the others, courtesy Micro$haft.  This time the machine would basically freeze on a fresh reboot and need a second reboot to come to life; it looked like the Wifi was not connecting, which it wasn’t, but it looked like something else was freezign everything and the wifi reconnect was just a result, not the cause.  As if there’s a flag set somewhere which is set/cleared on alternate reboots.  This is on spite of following the Woody site info and the Patch Lady’s wisdom.

Going to the no-patching method.

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

• #1725212 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

how recent was your pre-update image, immediately before May patching or older? Group A (from WU) or Group B (patches via the MS catalog)?
      edit: what AV are you using?

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1725328 Reply

Canadian Tech
      AskWoody_MVP

Here is what i would do:

Windows Update for Windows 7 after 1-2020

CT

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1728756 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Just remember that no updates makes backing up, and having an image to restore to, just that much more important…

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #1736404 Reply

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks all.  I took a note of what was installed, but unfortunately not what I didn’t install – see attached.  I left out the roll-ups (I think it was April’s but the last I updated was actually Dec 2018).  The pre-update image was the day before the update, but as I say, did not contain all updates till then

AV is Avast free

Canadian Tech’s post previously noted and partially instrumental in me giving up on updates! Thx.

Re. needing regular Image, yes indeed.  The way I see it though, I now need them to protect against an attack and allow me to recover.  Prior to this, I needed them to protect against an attack of Microsoft Software s***w-ups 😉  Which is the more “important” is moot!

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: No more patches for me!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.