News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• No thumbnails for folders in Windows 11

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » No thumbnails for folders in Windows 11

Author
    Topic

I have visited a friend who has install Windows 11 on 2 laptops.
    The friend has folder with movies, each movie in its own folder.
    Each folder movie has a folder.jpg cover file.
    In Windows 10 when opening the movies folder the covers are displayed for each movie.
    In Windows 11 there are only folders icons.
    Thumbnails for files display fine.

We search the Internet and couldn’t find a solution. Some posts claim that Microsoft removed thumbnails in Windows 11.
    Disabling ‘always show icons, never thumbnails’ doesn’t work.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Windows 11 did away with folder icon thumbnails, and we did not even notice

When Microsoft introduced new folder icons for what turned out to be Windows 11, the long-awaited design update was much lauded, such that we did not even notice that we were losing a major feature.

It turns out the new shell icons in Windows 11 no longer show previews of the content of the folders…

From that mspoweruser.com article:

The change may explain some of the speed improvements in Windows 11, and it is not clear if Microsoft plans to bring the feature back again.

With CPU clock speeds nowadays in the range of 2.5-3.5 GHz, RAM speeds over 2000 MHz, and software increasingly being stored on SSDs, I’d happily trade whatever speed might be saved by generic folder icons for the greater usefulness (and visual appeal) of folder icon thumbnails.

1 user thanked author for this post.

This is Windows 11 block for me.
        I have folders with hundreds movies, TV shows and Music albums.

..ahem, and also your friend.

| Quality over Quantity |

..ahem, and also your friend.

My friend is frustrated but will stay on Windows 11.

Disabling GUI ‘bells and whistles’ always improves performance in Windows, it seems MSFT have done exactly that with Win11 by default. which probably explains the performance enhancement claims. I’d say wait if you’re wanting that function back via a reghack via Win10 to Win11

| Quality over Quantity |

HOW TO GENERATE FOLDER THUMBNAILS IN WINDOWS 11

This tutorial here explains how to generate folder thumbnails in Windows 11. Microsoft seems to have removed folder thumbnails from Windows 11 and as a result, when you switch to the extra large icons view, you will still see a folder icon, just an enlarged one…

In case you want to have folder thumbnail restored in Windows 11, you can use one handy tool. An open source developer has created a tool named, WindowsThumbnailGenerator which can fix this. This software basically makes use of ImageMagick to generate thumbnails using media files inside a folder. And it also generates a desktop.ini file to set the generated thumbnail as preview in the Explorer….

1 user thanked author for this post.

I’m going through the same. I want the folders to have thumbnails like it did in previous windows versions. If microsoft doesn’t bring it back its going to suck big time.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: No thumbnails for folders in Windows 11

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.