News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• NortonLifeLock and Avast Merger?

Home » Forums » Outside the box » Rants » NortonLifeLock and Avast Merger?

Author
    Topic

Really!!?

Avast could soon become part of NortonLifeLock, provided that the shareholders of both companies and regulators approve the deal. The company announced plans for a mixed cash and stock merger on August 10, 2021.

more info over on Ghacks

I don’t use either, but, should users of NortonLifelock be concerned given Avast’s history?

| Quality over Quantity |
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Or perhaps Avast users should be concerned given LifeLock’s history?

LifeLock was fined $12 million by the Federal Trade Commission in March 2010 for deceptive advertising.

In 2015, the FTC found LifeLock to be in contempt of the 2010 agreement,

The FTC obtained a $100 million monetary penalty against LifeLock to settle the contempt charge. Of that fine, $68 million is to be held for class-action refunds to LifeLock customers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeLock#Controversies

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1319 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

4 users thanked author for this post.

It is Norton that buying Avast not vice versa.

they are saying it’s a merger – but Avast is converting their stock for Norton shares so Norton is buying Avast.

I’ve been Norton products from Day 1 – but when my current subscription runs out next year (or sooner) I won’t be returning to Norton since they seem to want to do more than just computer security.  Too much bad history and karma with both companies.

The big question I have is what are the best alternatives for a home user??  Ideally a US based company

I wonder where that leaves AVG Antivirus, which is a subsidiary of Avast.

I wonder where that leaves AVG Antivirus, which is a subsidiary of Avast.

Avast already owned AVG – so now Norton owns them all.

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/is-norton-planning-to-kill-free-antivirus

I may open this comment up for ridicule, but I like Norton. Have used them for many years and haven’t had any issues. They may hog resources, according to the “majority”, but their security on the standard Deluxe version (not 360), works flawlessly from my own personal experience. If their new “merger” or takeover of AVAST brings issues to the machine I’ll switch to something else.

Win7 Home x64 MacOS Chromebook

I may open this comment up for ridicule, but I like Norton. Have used them for many years and haven’t had any issues. They may hog resources, according to the “majority”, but their security on the standard Deluxe version (not 360), works flawlessly from my own personal experience. If their new “merger” or takeover of AVAST brings issues to the machine I’ll switch to something else.

I’ve been of that mindset up until Norton decided they were a crypto-mining company and now they want to acquire a company that has more shady legal dealings than Norton does.  Time to try something else and see what Norton does while I am gone.

I had a lot of problems with Norton Antivirus back when I was using Win 98 SE in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.  That really turned me off with Norton and I never when back to them.  I tried Avast and didn’t like it either, but at least it was better than Norton.

Now Norton, according to the link in a report above, wants to “kill free antivirus”.  This sure doesn’t speak well for them either.

I had a lot of problems with Norton Antivirus back when I was using Win 98 SE in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.  That really turned me off with Norton and I never when back to them.  I tried Avast and didn’t like it either, but at least it was better than Norton.

Now Norton, according to the link in a report above, wants to “kill free antivirus”.  This sure doesn’t speak well for them either.

Hey Charlie what AV software do you use now?

I use Linux for going online (no antivirus) and AVG Free on my old Win 7 machine.  I really like AVG and will hate to see it go, if that happens.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: NortonLifeLock and Avast Merger?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.