Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Now we know why this month’s Win7 Monthly Rollup, KB 4093118, installs itself over and over

Home Forums AskWoody blog Now we know why this month’s Win7 Monthly Rollup, KB 4093118, installs itself over and over

This topic contains 48 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  columbia2011 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Our own abbodi86 traced down the problem. You gotta wonder who’s putting together these kludges for Microsoft’s second-most-popular version of Windows
      [See the full post at: Now we know why this month’s Win7 Monthly Rollup, KB 4093118, installs itself over and over]

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #186059 Reply

FakeNinja
      AskWoody Lounger

Isn’t Windows 7 the most popular desktop OS still? Go to https://netmarketshare.com then look at Operating systems -> Desktop versions. Windows 7 is at 43% while Windows 10 is at 33%. I think some sources claim that Windows 10 has more market share because they also count the modified Windows 10 version that all Xbox One systems use. If you look at desktop computers, Windows 7 is still number one.

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #186076 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

That’s especially astonishing when you consider that (1) Microsoft force-fed Windows 10 updates to a whole lot of Windows 7 users, and (2) the only choice of OS you have for most new computers is Windows 10. In other words, much of the 33% is the result of users being forced by Microsoft to use Windows 10, not a result of the user’s free choice.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #186105 Reply

David F
          AskWoody Lounger

I could understand this shambles if Microsoft were using it as a mechanism to wear users down and force them on to Win10 in despair (and perhaps they are), but the irony is that the Win10 patching doesn’t seem a lot better, so there’s no real gain to anyone in switching in any case

3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #186173 Reply

WildBill
            AskWoody Lounger

I could understand this shambles if Microsoft were using it as a mechanism to wear users down and force them on to Win10 in despair (and perhaps they are), but the irony is that the Win10 patching doesn’t seem a lot better, so there’s no real gain to anyone in switching in any case

I concur, David_F! As Group A, Windows 8.1 Home-x64, I’m not bragging. Because if Microsoft’s above scenario is successful… I’M NEXT!

Wild Bill Rides Again...

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #186174 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Lounger

Mr JimPhelps:

You wrote that *MOST* new PCs come with Windows 10. Besides those that come with LINUX or the Mac OS, are there any that come with Windows 8.1 installed?

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to share on this point.

• #186214 Reply

anonymous

a different person replying: You would need to order an 8.1 Pro desktop or laptop through a tech shop, not retail stores. Or else get a refurbished or second hand computer. Study up on how to lock it down, (not that tough). It is actually a good OS when privacy is taken back. Or if it is a good tech shop, they might build you a computer and install Linux on it.

• #186078 Reply

Sessh
        AskWoody Lounger

Indeed, no idea why Woody said “second-most popular” when that is clearly false. According to NMS, Windows 7 is at 44.53% and Windows 10 is at 29.39%. Pretty good for an OS people try to convince you is “almost dead”, huh? If Windows 7 is almost dead, Windows 10 is six feet under. 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Sessh.
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #186167 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody MVP

Some people have posted, “You’ve only got three years of support left on Windows 7; you need to hurry up and switch to Windows 10.” And I wonder, WHY?

Now it’s a little less than two years of support left on Windows 7. Some people change jobs more often than every two years. For those people, Windows 7 would be supported for their entire tenure at their job. Not exactly the need to “hurry up”.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #186103 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

“Which is all well and good, unless you install the Monthly Rollup Preview, KB 4093113, before you install this month’s Monthly Rollup, KB 4093118.”

The error definitely occurs when you install KB 4093113 after the monthly rollup KB 4093118. (Tested on Win7 machine.)

Error may occur regardless of when KB 4093113 is installed. (Has before been tested?)

Group G{ot backup} Win7|64-bit|SP1

• #186111 Reply

anonymous

There is no agreement on the statistics,Windows 10 is the most used according to Statcounter and W3Schools,according to NetMarketShare is Windows 7 instead!

Edit to remove HTML from copy/paste

• #186120 Reply

Seff
      AskWoody Lounger

I rather assumed Woody meant that historically Windows 7 was the second most popular version of Windows after XP.

• #186145 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Spot on Seff, I use XP Pro (SP3) offline for Graphic Design & CAD and I know a good few others who do the same and still outshines W10 by a country mile.

| 2x Group A- W8.1 | Group A+ Linux Hybrid | Group W W7 Pro | Group W XP Pro
          No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
        • #186168 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody MVP

Does Graphic Design & Cad require XP, or does it require 32-bit?

One time I was told that I needed XP to join a certain Dropbox study group. I had Windows 7-32, so I proceeded to install XP Mode. I then found that the issue was 32-bit vs 64-bit, not XP vs 7. It ran perfectly well in Windows 7-32 without XP Mode installed.

So it might run in Windows 7-32, or even Windows 8.1-32 (with Classic Shell); you might not need XP.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          • #186249 Reply

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

Both suites work on W7 32bit but the older plugins/ modules/ programs I use, only work with 2k/ XP. The reduced system resources with less svchosts running help which is why they are on XP.

Obsolecence has it’s benefits too, no MS intervention, no patches and offline 🙂

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
    • #186129 Reply

Jan K.
      AskWoody Lounger

Ya gotta wonder who tests this stuff.

Woody and gang!

Microsoft seems mostly to be in a try & error mindset…

Still would love an inside article of how Microsoft really works behind the scenes!

• #186144 Reply

Seff
        AskWoody Lounger

I suspect you’d find they consist of a few coders, one QA guy (part-time), and a whole ton of Vice-Presidents :)!

• #186178 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Lounger

Seff writes about the present composition of the work force at Redmond: ” I suspect you’d find they consist of a few coders, one QA guy (part-time), and a whole ton of Vice-Presidents :)!

Actually, pretty sure that should be: “mostly of lawyers, PR and marketing people.”

Plus, in considerably lower numbers, several vice presidents and a few others whose three-letter position acronyms start with a “C”, as well as assorted lower-ranking apparatchiks whose job is to do the uncool grubwork of administering the whole thing, so the wheels don’t come off it, at least in this and the next quarter. And way below them: some people answering phones, who know how to obfuscate with smarmy business-speak users asking about anything by pretending to help them without never really answering their questions.

Plus custodians, rent-a-cops, janitors, maintenance people, etc.

Oh, I almost forgot: Also a few people learning to code by reading “Coding for Dummies.”

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  OscarCP.
      • #186149 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Still would love an inside article of how Microsoft really works behind the scenes!

Reverse engineered telemetry anyone?

• #186195 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
        AskWoody Lounger

Why does that notion make me think of the PG Tips chimps?

• #186305 Reply

Seff
          AskWoody Lounger

Perhaps suitably renamed PC Tips Chimps!

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Seff.
    • #186133 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

Those who choose to do so, test this stuff.

• #186153 Reply

EstherD
      AskWoody Lounger

“Ya gotta wonder who tests this stuff.”

Actually, that isn’t the problem. This is:

“Ya gotta wonder who designs this stuff.”

Computer scientists and computational theorists long ago (40-50 years, at least) looked into the matter and came to the conclusion that NO amount of testing could EVER fix a poor design.

And what we have here is clearly design by a committee of incompetents.

Edit to remove HTML. Please use the “text” tab in the entry box when you copy/paste.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  EstherD. Reason: [ Edited to remove HTML. ]
      • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  PKCano.
      • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  PKCano.
      5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #186184 Reply

OldBiddy
      AskWoody Lounger

So what happens to someone like me who installed kb4088878 and kb4100480 before installing kb4099950? I haven’t installed any April patches – too afraid to with all the endless install loop going on. It’s like Groundhog Day!

• #186187 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

Please check MS-DEFCON at the top of the website. It is an immediate summation of update safety. If you are unclear on number designation and require an explanation, read: MS-DEFCON System also at the top of the website.

Right now, MS-DECON 2, means you don’t need to do anything for the April updates.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  geekdom.
    • #186226 Reply

columbia2011
      AskWoody Lounger

It is unclear why KB4093113 was pulled and not listing on the Russian version of the update history page for Windows 7 / 2008R2, and published additional information about issues with installing the KB4093118 with required tip to import KB in WSUS from the Windows Catalog.
      https://support.microsoft.com/ru-ru/help/4093118

• #186232 Reply

ch100
        AskWoody MVP

Was it pulled or never posted over there?

EDIT: If you compare the ru-ru site with the en-us site, they are not fully equivalent. The Russian site is rather a free translation, possible an adaptation of the local market and what is of most interest in the Russian market.
        The NIC issue which is the talk of everyone on this site and on the US Microsoft WU site seems to be completely skipped on the Russian site.
        I fully understand that this is a non-issue for those of us who are into the details of how Windows works and familiar with the mainstream virtualisation products (vSphere, XenServer, Hyper-V) where this is a basic thing, but for the wider public, this is a big issue.

EDIT2: The date of the Russian site is 2018-04-10 which is before the latest developments in the April 2018 Windows 7 patches saga. It may just be a matter of the site not being up-to-date, as Microsoft has bigger issues right now than to keep up to date their international sites.
        Among the current issues I can mention primarily the failure to release a reliable version on Windows 10 1803 at the expected date and also the current issues with Windows 7 Update which are far from being resolved.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  ch100.
        • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  ch100.
        • #186236 Reply

columbia2011
          AskWoody Lounger

@ch100, it was pulled. Because earlier when preview of may upate was published (17 April) information was identical with US Microsoft WU. So in my mind Russian page was corrected first. Look refresh time – 19 april. And US page was refreshed 17 April. What does this mean?
          P.S NIC issues also published on Russian WU site. I think that you have missed or language barrier when you viewed the RU site. No offense!

• #186231 Reply

David F
      AskWoody Lounger

Why does that notion make me think of the PG Tips chimps?

That takes me back a bit but that’s spot on

• #186254 Reply

columbia2011
      AskWoody Lounger

The date of last update info on the Russian site is 2018-04-19. After all discovered issues with loop installs of April KN4093118.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #186282 Reply

anonymous

For my Win7x64Home, Windows Update installed the following files:

(1) KB4100480 (March Security Only Update)

(2) KB4093118 (April Rollup Update)

(3) KB2952664

After the installation, the loop does not occur. May be because I always installed the Rollups (Group A?) and never installed the Preview Rollups.

• #186302 Reply

ch100
        AskWoody MVP

After the installation, the loop does not occur. May be because I always installed the Rollups (Group A?) and never installed the Preview Rollups.

This is correct.

• #186783 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody MVP

Both rollups KB4093118/KB4093113 get metadata revision
      probably they fixed the pciclearstalecache duplication issue, i didn’t check further

i noticed that each update now have external hash-unique PCIClearStaleCache.exe file (but same version and same funcion)

KB4099950 did not return to WU yet, so March rollups won’t show up because they depend on it

but it’s Tuesday, and we sometimes sees weird takedown/revision of updates before the switch goes live at 17:00 UTC

• #186830 Reply

ch100
        AskWoody MVP

PCIClearStaleCache.exe – different release dates

Attachments:
    • #186793 Reply

columbia2011
      AskWoody Lounger

Does anybody find any changes in both rollups KB4093118/KB4093113 which got metadata revision after last sync in WSUS/WU and catalog?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  columbia2011.
    • #186820 Reply

philrandal
      AskWoody Lounger

The metadata updates seem to have fixed the problem

• #186826 Reply

dgreen
      AskWoody Lounger

Just did a windows update check.  April’s rollup KB4093118 now shows “yesterday” (4/23) as the date of release.  What the heck????
      Glad I stayed put at December 2017 rollback.
      Sheesh…………..
      I did Download, from the MS Catalog, the msu KB4099950 and saved it to my documents.
      I was going to apply it before applying kb4093118 when the dust settles.
      Does this new revision now make this unnecessary?
      Sheesh………… what a fiasco!

Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64 bit Group A

Here’s the screen shot:

Attachments:
      • #186836 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

KB4093118 received a metadata change to keep it from reinstalling itself over and over after if you installed the Preview KB4093113 – no an actual revision in the update.

Eventually KB4099950 may be available through Windows Update again. If so, I would recommend using Windows Update to install it.

• #186848 Reply

jkg007
      AskWoody Lounger

We were able to get the computers to stop rebooting by DISABLING Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. The sequence of events that led us to this solution was: first we discovered that if we unplug the network cable the reboots stopped. Then we discovered that just removing the Default Gateway from the Network Adapter settings would stop the reboots even with the network cable plugged in. So at this point we used AutoRuns and a process of elimination to discover that disabling the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service fixed the problem.

We still don’t know why this works or even why these computers are using the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. it’s not needed on our computers. It’s startup was MANUAL but was being started by something on the computer that we can’t explain.

What could be starting it? How do I trace what did start the service?

• #187082 Reply

columbia2011
      AskWoody Lounger

Please, prompt me what software uses Hardlock: Hardlock Device Driver for Windows NT;Haspnt: HASP kernel Device Driver for Windows NT on your server Dell Optiplex 790? Maybe 1C Software? Did you try to update HASP drivers (SafeNet)?

• #188880 Reply

anonymous

Windows update KB 4093118 succesfully installed on 4-13 but has since showed up on my critical, needs to be installed list (today is 4-30). I allowed it to install again figuring it would recognize the error itself and abort.  It didnt. What it apparently did do, is kill my WiFi (I guess that means delete or corrupt a driver). Windows recognizes the connection problem and tells me to plug in an ethernet cable. Can’t do that so I’m restoring to yesterday and hiding the update.  Should work until the next update comes out when I expect new problems.

• #190719 Reply

anonymous

I would like to suggest that this article could be written with more charity toward Microsoft.  After all, you gave the KB a MS-Defcon 2.  If I hadn’t looked at the MS-Defcon level before reading the article, I would have thought everybody was having a problem.  That is not the case.

• #191718 Reply

anonymous

Hi,

We’ve had problems with the haspnt, hardlock and aksfridge drivers which appear to be part of some software DRM used by software we have installed on a few PCs.

With haspnt and hardlock device drivers installed,  March, April and May’s patches just cause a continuous reboot loop – You get to “Please Wait Windows is configuring updates…” there’s then about a 15 second delay and an immediate reboot. No BSOD, just reboot.

F8 and boot into safemode reverts the changes and all is well until the updates are tried again.

The drivers for these devices are hidden away in Device Manager, you’ll need to select View and then “show hidden devices.”

They’ll appear  under the Non-Plug and Play Drivers where you can disable and then uninstall them – bear in mind that anything relying on a plug-in HASP USB key will no longer work.

aksfridge seems to be part of the Sentinel LDK License Manager service – This causes a really strange problem with Networks on our Laptops;

Connecting to a Domain Network is fine but on connecting to a Public or Home Network causes a machine freeze followed by a reboot, again with no BSOD

Pete.

• #191770 Reply

columbia2011
        AskWoody Lounger

Did you try to update any drivers for Sentinel LDK License Manager services?
        I found several topics with discussions of troubles to install last Windows CU (April, May) on computers with haspnt, hardlock and aksfridge drivers. After installing updates machines went in loop reboot. Helps booting in safe mode and revert updates. But this is not a solution.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  columbia2011.
        • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  columbia2011.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Now we know why this month’s Win7 Monthly Rollup, KB 4093118, installs itself over and over

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.