News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • ntuser.dat File removal?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 ntuser.dat File removal?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        ChuckR
        AskWoody Plus

I have ntuser.dat files all through my Windows 7 Pro 64bit system. They go back as far as 2011.  Is there a way to remove them such that the 2020 files remain? I am assuming they are the latest files reflecting the system as of today.

The same question refers to the desktop.ini files that are spread all over back to 2000.

• #2286552 Reply
        Canadian Tech
        AskWoody_MVP

If you want to keep using Windows 7, I strongly recommend you do a re-install to get a clean start. It will enable you to produce a backup copy of the system in its final state which enables easy re-install without the hassle of activation and an install process. If your hard drive is old, replace it first. Follow the procedure I posted here and you will have a very good system indeed:

Canadian Tech: How to rebuild a Win7 system with minimal snooping

I consider a laptop hard drive old if it is over 5 years. A desktop 8 years.

CT

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2286557 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

If you won’t want to go to the trouble of reinstalling, open Control Panel\Folder options. On the View tab, check the box “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).”
        Click “Apply” and “OK”

• #2286561 Reply
          ChuckR
          AskWoody Plus

That would hide them, but would not gain any space on my SSD.

• #2286566 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

How much space do they take up?

• #2286570 Reply
              ChuckR
              AskWoody Plus

I have no way of total them as they are spread out across my folders.

Is there a utility that would total them by c: ?

• #2286576 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

Well, just look at the size of a few of them and make a guess.
                On my computer, a desktop.ini file is 282 bytes. and my ntuser.dat is 3840KB. It would take an awful lot of them to be significant. An awful lot.

• #2286575 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Try the portable Everything.

• #2286588 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Yes, there is a way.

Run search for ntuser.dat in windows explorer. Mark all, right-click for properties.

Totalntuser

Attachments:
      • #2286610 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

ntuser.dat files have information about your registry. It might be wise to leave them alone.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: ntuser.dat File removal?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.