News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • O365 Help Quit Working

Posted on MoleChaser Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        MoleChaser
        AskWoody Plus

I recently uninstalled a couple of older programs I no longer need using the 3rd Party program Revo Uninstaller. I have used it for years and it never caused any problems. But now Help doesn’t work in any of my Office 365 programs, but it works for Win10, Edge, and IE 11, as well as other 3rd party software. When I invoke Help from an office app the message that pops up is “Your organization’s administrator turned off the service required to use this feature”. That’s the entire message. I have no clue what service isn’t running. This is my home computer; I am the administrator.

Any clues as to how to repair this issue? My installation is a single license of Office 365, 64-bit, fully patched, running on Win10 Pro 1903 fully patched.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1974767 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Office Help requires two privacy settings to be enabled, otherwise you get that error message:

File, Options, (General), Privacy Settings, Connected experiences, Let Office download online content (check) and Enable connected experiences (check)

The Help function is disabled in Office apps (Slipstick Systems)

(The same options are also available via File, Account, Account Privacy, Manage Settings)

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2267340 Reply
          JohnS1606
          AskWoody Plus

“b”:

I’m curious… why did you not alert us that, unless the User also enables the checkmark “Enable [all] connected experiences”, the checkmarks for the two items you mention are disabled?

(At least that’s what I have just encountered  in my installation of (subscription) Office 365/Excel 365 on Win 10 Home 64 ver 1904.)

That bothers me.  It sounds like some underhanded tactic by Microsoft to trick many of us to give away even more of our data.  I really want to avoid further data-farming…

Thanks.    JohnS1606

• #2267354 Reply
            b
            AskWoody Plus

“b”:

I’m curious… why did you not alert us that, unless the User also enables the checkmark “Enable [all] connected experiences”, the checkmarks for the two items you mention are disabled?

(At least that’s what I have just encountered  in my installation of (subscription) Office 365/Excel 365 on Win 10 Home 64 ver 1904.)

You’re slightly confusing/misreading the three checkboxes in the Connected experiences section. I didn’t mention the first one (“Let Office analyze your content”) because it’s not necessary for Help to function. But I did mention Enable connected experiences as it is required for Office Help.

That bothers me.  It sounds like some underhanded tactic by Microsoft to trick many of us to give away even more of our data.  I really want to avoid further data-farming…

Thanks.    JohnS1606

I think it’s illogical that Microsoft put All connected experiences at the bottom rather than at the top, when it enables/disables the other two options like a master switch.

But I don’t think there’s any underhanded tactic designed to trick you; each of the three options has a “Learn more” link which spells out exactly what they control, as I pointed out more recently:

If you click “Learn more” under any of those three Connected Experiences categories, you get a web page which shows exactly which features fall under each heading, each with a “how-to” link:

Connected experiences that analyze your content (21 features)

Connected experiences that download online content (20 features)

Other connected experiences (30 features)

Connected experiences in Office

I keep them all enabled because I want access to Translator, Help, Focused Inbox etc.

That page is being kept updated with new features like Microsoft Editor (which requires the first option “Let Office analyze your content”).

• #2267377 Reply
              JohnS1606
              AskWoody Plus

“b”:

Thanks very much.  I stand corrected.

Now I will proceed to review those three Connected Experiences categories, as you reminded about, and which I hadn’t bothered to review..  <blush>

……………………………………………………

In your judgment, should we remain cautious and vigilant about similar “improvements” in Office 365 apps, like the Connected Experiences concept?

JohnS1606

• #2267398 Reply
                b
                AskWoody Plus

I keep them all enabled because I find the features useful, and I’m convinced that Microsoft is not doing anything nefarious with my data.

• #1975247 Reply
        MoleChaser
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

b
      • #2262635 Reply
        Malbec
        AskWoody Plus

Hi everybody,

I have about the same problem – it’s not office 365, it’s Office 2019 – but the issue is the same: any attempt to get help or translation gets the dreadful “Your organization’s administrator turned off the service required to use this feature”. (I have Win10 1909)

Of course, I tried to use the solution given in  Slipstick Systems, but it seems a bit more complicated here…

In fact, I do get help when I am logged as admin, but a mere user can’t get it. I looked at both Office privacy settings screens and things became still more obscure!

Here is the one for the user : UserPriv
        and this is the admin’s one AdminPriv
        (sorry, they’re in French, but the layout is the same)
        So, I wonder what are these “privacy options managed by the administrator” as I’m the only admin in there!

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Attachments:
        • #2262668 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

You show that you’ve checked (ticked) “Enable connected experiences”.

Have you also checked (ticked) “Let Office download online content”?

• #2262725 Reply
            Malbec
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks for your quick answer.

I didn’t check it, because I don’t have it!!

Here is a full capture of the window:AdminPriv2
            But, however, in this configuration (admin) everything works OK…

Attachments:
      • #2268264 Reply
        Malbec
        AskWoody Plus

So … does anyone have an idea about ​​my problem?
        In the meantime, I used the “O&O ShutUp10” tool to check what the privacy restrictions were on my PC. In desperation, I authorized everything…But to no avail: I keep getting that silly message!SMsg

It really is a chore to have to change the user whenever I need to access help!

I’m ready to sacrifice my private life to MS, but I still don’t want to always work in admin mode.

Thank you for your ideas 🙂

Attachments:
        • #2268273 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

You could check your registry for two settings which could cause that:

“This feature has been disabled by your administrator” error in Microsoft Office

Also available in French:

Erreur Microsoft Office « Cette fonctionnalité a été désactivée par votre administrateur »

(UseOnlineContent at two different key locations.)

• #2284608 Reply
            Malbec
            AskWoody Plus

I’m awfully sorry! I forgot to thank you for these links and to give you feedback…

Unfortunately, it didn’t work either 🙁

BUT today, I found the solution all by myself, like a real geek 😉

As usual, it was quite simple, provided you pay no attention to MS’s messages… It has really absolutely nothing to do with “my organization’s administrator”!

The key was to connect to a MS account and suddenly, poof, everything worked!

In previous versions of Office, I was used to be alone and tranquil, and when I began to use 2019 I didn’t pay attention to the upper-right “connect” button. I thought it was another MS gimmick and I forgot it.

I’d never have imagined that it was compulsory to connect to an account to be able to use all the functionalities of the product. I really feel been taken in hostage!

Anyway, thanks very much for your help.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: O365 Help Quit Working

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.