News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • October 8, 2019 CU offered again?

Posted on netuser Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update October 8, 2019 CU offered again?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  abbodi86 4 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

netuser
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi,

I just received a notification to download and install the October 8 cumulative update; however, as shown in the attach screenshot, I installed the October 8 CU on 10/09/2019.  In fact, the CU installed itself twice.

Should use the wushowhide tool to hide this CU? I do not see point of installing the CU again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments:
    • #2001097 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I have seen this several times before.
      The CUs are listed in the update list on two different occasions.
      But the accompaning Service Stacks are not ever listed for download/install, although they do download and install silently.
      This may (guess) be due to the fact that the SSU presents itself as the CU.
      Sometimes there are two restarts during installation.

That said, I have always gone ahead and allowed it the second time.
      Usually it records it twice in the history, but the second time it doesn’t take very long to process.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2001113 Reply

netuser
        AskWoody Lounger

PKCano,

I allowed the CU to be installed again.  It installed quickly as you said it would.  It did not require to reboot, but I rebooted anyway.  Everything is back to normal now, with no updates pending.  Thank for information.

• #2001100 Reply

LHiggins
      AskWoody Plus

Can you just clarify for me – are these 2 now safe to install for Win 10 v 1903?

• KB4524100
      • KB4517389

The have just shown up in WUSHOWHIDE and I thought they were safe to leave there and eventually install – but when I search for those here,  it seems that there may still be issues?

Shall I hide them and wait for the Nov. updates, or go ahead and let them show up in Windows Update and install them now?

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  LHiggins.
      • #2001104 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

KB4517389 is the Oct CU. I have installed it without a problem.
        And the Master Patch List says install by both updates.
        I’d give it a try.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2001110 Reply

LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks! I knew they were on Susan’s list and I was ready to let them go ahead, but wanted to just check and see. Since I missed a month or two with all of the commotion with updates, this CU should catch me up!

But the accompanying Service Stacks are not ever listed for download/install, although they do download and install silently.

So I won’t see that one, KB4521863 actually listed, but it will install and be in the history/installed updates? Will it install first without me doing anything?

Thanks again!

• #2002492 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

It’s known behavior since v1809

whenever you do any servicing operation, LCU will be reoffered
      servicing = install/uninstall update, enable optional feature, install/uninstall FOD feature

sometimes, even Disk Cleanup will cause that (if it removed some superseded update)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: October 8, 2019 CU offered again?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.