News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently…

Posted on WSBatBytes Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently…

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
        WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

Recently my Windows 10 Pro has started placing an icon in the system tray area on startup. Not sure if this just started after a recent update but it has never happened before. The icon has no info when hovered over. If I right or left click the icon it opens file explorer. Right click also does not pop up any options like exit or quit. I have all icons turned off except for ZoneAlarm, AVG, Iconoid, Network, & Volume.  Some on microsoft forums suggested system restore and reinstall but I don’t trust windows 10 enough for that. It is very annoying. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

PKCano
        Manager

It would be helpful to know what version of Win10 you are using.

WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

As stated… “Recently my Windows 10 Pro has…”.  The only thing I can add is ver. 2004, 32bit.

PKCano
          Manager

The version is important – we need to know you have version 2004. Win10 could be any number of VERSIONS and each is different.

WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 Pro
        version 2004
        OS build 19041.572
        32 bit

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

What does this mystery icon look like? Maybe you can try uploading a screenshot focusing on the icon, in case somebody can tell what it’s for.

WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

As I stated in the first post, it is windows file explorer which opens when the icon is clicked.

Ktech
        AskWoody Lounger

Have you checked the startup in task manager to see if you have something starting there?

WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

It does not appear to be the same as file explorer icon. Am including images of icon & tray

mystery_icon
        system_tray

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

>> Have you checked the startup in task manager to see if you have something starting there?

Everything in startup is stuff I have used for years.

Phil F
        AskWoody Plus

Have you hovered your mouse pointer over this icon when it appears?

This looks like the icon I see after a fresh boot which indicates that a “network drive has been disconnected”. My WD MyBookLive network drive  has a dynamic IP address, so I may need to click on the link to reconnect.

This is on a Win 10 Pro X64 2004 system originally upgraded from Win 7 Pro.

Phil

WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

>>The icon has no info when hovered over.

I get a popup box on startup when my network drive is not on… much, much larger than an icon.

PKCano
          Manager

That looks like a “can’t reconnect network drive” icon.
          If you have a persistent network connection set up, be sure it is working.
          Perhaps re-do the connection?
          I suspect that may be why it is opening File Explorer when you click on it.
          You may need to use the IP address or the DNS name (\\192.168.1.nnn\<sharename>\ or \\<Devicename>\<sharename>\) ?

anonymous

Agreed it’s a network drive disconnected icon.  We have a home file server connected to various computers; if the server is turned off, that icon appears on all the devices.  It can also appear if your computer is not set up to automatically connect to a network device even though the device is powered up.   In File Manager, go to Network locations (easier to see details if Navigation Pane is visible, it’s in View), expand it and see what’s not connected.  The context menu and Properties have settings needed to enable the network device.

Network and Sharing Center>Advanced Sharing Settings>Network Discovery should be enabled, maybe that got disabled somehow.   File and Printer Sharing is optional, it allows acccess to your computer’s files and printers, maybe not a good idea.

Our server is on Ububtu, most of our devices are Windows, some Linux.  Once you figure out how to get them all to communicate, it’s simple;  sorting through samba, cockpit, ssh, putty, and all the other weird terminology to get there, isn’t.

🙂

WSBatBytes
        AskWoody Plus

PKCano, looks like you win the prize. It is indeed an icon for an offline network drive. Why it would just recently start popping up in the tray when it has never done it before only M$ knows. I guess M$ just can’t keep their #$% hands off things that have always worked satisfactorily. Thanks to all who gave input.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

In ‘Notification Area’ – ‘Select which icons appear on the taskbar’ you have a list of all icons shown/hidden with icon’s description.

Viewing 13 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.