News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• odd optional update

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 odd optional update

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

My ancient dell laptop, with win10/home, has started offering:

2021-03 preview for win10 20h2 for c64 based systems

What’s the “preview”.  Is it better doing that first and *then* loading 20h2, or just jumping to 20h2 directly [via the update-windows page]?

Susan Bradley
        Manager

Based on that wording, I’d say you are already on 20H2. You only get offered previews on a platform that is installed.

Preview is a cumulative update patch that Microsoft offers up for preliminary testing.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

You’re 100% correct.  I was sure it was running 2004, but somewhere along the line it upgraded itself to 20h2.   I guess I’ll ignore the ‘optional’ update but I can report that 20H2 installed just fine on an ancient [and slow] dell laptop.  thanks!

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

My ancient dell laptop, with win10/home, has started offering:

2021-03 preview for win10 20h2 for c64 based systems

What’s the “preview”.  Is it better doing that first and *then* loading 20h2, or just jumping to 20h2 directly [via the update-windows page]?

that “preview for win10 20h2” update you are talking about is KB5000842 right, berniec?

Coldheart9020
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m also being offered KB5000842 as an optional update; I just ignore the Preview updates and wait for the actual monthly CU releases on Patch Tuesday, after which the Preview is made redundant.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: odd optional update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.