News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Odd Win 7 “Logging Off” Issue

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 7 » Questions: Windows 7 » Odd Win 7 “Logging Off” Issue

Author
    Topic

Hi folks. First time ever went to restart my Windows 7  computer and it stayed on a logging off screen for maybe 20 minutes before I used the power switch to shut down, then restart. Several oddities happened from this.

1. On reboot it had the wrong screen resolution, wrong wall paper and all desktop icons rearranged (last to be expected with different resolution). I changed those and went along my merry way. Fluke?
    2. I do backups daily and yesterday was an incremental. IO happened to notice that while almost all incrementals are between 1-2 GB, this one was 16 GB!!! What could have changed that the backup program felt it needed that much?
    3. Happened to think did  it create a new user? So checked and this is what I see. The first and last are dated at the hard reboot after the logging off failure:

users

Are those two safe to delete?

What do you think backup found in those 16 GB? Anything to be wary of?

Thanks. This is a little confusing.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Is this the first time the computer has ever installed any updates?  Check your backup to see if it has a good set of your personal data – can you make a full backup also?   Restart at least one more time to let it apply any pending updates.  Running winver.exe will tell you if Windows 7 has SP1 installed.

I think “first time” referred to the failure to restart.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

No mention of updates. There were none. This was a simple restart that I do a few times a week to clear the large amount of available memory tied up in processes such as svchost. Done from the start menu, restart. Never ever hung on Logging Off. I think could have been a bad thumb drive attached, but only a guess.

It is SP1. Has been forever.

OK, found this to answer about one of the acounts. The stuck Logging Off and Account Unknown remain a mystery.

UpdatusUser” folder is automatically created by NVIDIA graphics card driver installer. If you or Windows Update installed required drivers for nvidia graphics card in your computer, it automatically creates a new user account “UpdatusUser” for update purposes. This user account is used by nvidia to update the graphics card driver whenever available. Since a new user profile is created by the driver setup, it also creates a new folder “UpdatusUser” in C:\Users directory. That’s why you see that strange folder inside Users directory.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Odd Win 7 “Logging Off” Issue

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.