News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office 2010 died, 2020-09-25

Posted on Donald Crossman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Donald Crossman
        AskWoody Plus

It keeps asking for my Product Key, which I entered umptilly-million times, and then it fails. It worked yesterday, and I uninstalled the only update dated for yesterday, a SQL update. No joy. I entered the Product Key from the original box, AND from Product Key Explorer. Nope.

So now I guess I’ll use Revo to uninstall Office and try a fresh install. I have Office 2019 on the way, but it won’t be here for about 5 days.

Has this happened to anyone else, or am I just lucky?

Attachments:
      • #2298812 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Hard to tell whats happening exactly. Need more information.

which I entered umptilly-million times, and then it fails

Does it fail with some error message, or does it accept the key and just asks again next time you launch Office 2010?

Is your Windows account standard user, or administrator? Does AUC (it tells you that something is trying to change computer settings) appear if you enter the key?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by doriel. Reason: oh grammar
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2298831 Reply
        Donald Crossman
        AskWoody Plus

It accepts the Product Key, then says something like it’s not valid, or something is missing. I’m not sure exactly. Anyway, I took the “sledge hammer” approach and found a downloadable version of Office Pro 2016 for 80 bucks. So, though I had to install it twice because I forgot to uninstall 2010 first (!), it’s now installed and happy, as am I.

Thanks for the reply!

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office 2010 died, 2020-09-25

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.