News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Office 2010 is Dead ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Greetings All –

I’m a bit confused about Office 2010’s status.  It was my understanding that as of such and such a date, support would be discontinued.  My laptop still has Office 2010.  My intention was to uninstall it when the updates stopped.  As of March, the Windows Quality updates have included Office 2010 updates.  March included a global Office update plus a specific Excel update.  I’m surprised by all of this, but as long as the updates keep coming, I’m assuming it’s still safe to use.  As always, I appreciate all the fine advice I’ve received here over the years.

Casey H.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

I haven’t a clue either.  “Normally” in the past several months after end of life of a version of Office we’d receive patches because they were still in the pipeline. This is way way way past normal.

We will see what happens in April.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

I, too, have Office 2010.  When the ‘expiration’ date occurs, I doubt it will simply stop working.

OK, so maybe there won’t be any more security updates for it any more.  So what?  Why would a hacker go after Office 2010 which, at this point, is long gone from any major corporate platforms and is quickly being relegated to home users only.  Do you REALLY want to go out and buy a newer version?  For what it’s worth, I got my legit version free 10 years ago when my employer offered it to all employees for $10 each, the cost of the DVD.  I retired 6 years ago.  So I won’t be getting any freebies from them any more.

As for buying a newer version, should one decide to go that route, find a couple of versions old DVD on ebay, complete with serial number on it.  Make sure the seller has a VERY GOOD rating!  There’s of useless pirate copies of everything out there from sellers with under 100 ratings.  I’ve done that a couple of times for expensive software as I upgraded Windows versions and what I had no longer worked.  It saved a bunch of money over full-retail current version.

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

I’m also messing around with Libre.  Unlike my 2010 and 2016 versions of MS Office, Libre also seems to open pdf files in usable form.

Casey

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Office 2010 is Dead ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.