News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office 2010 March Updates Offered Do Not Match Master Patch List

Posted on Just Lurking Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2010 and earlier for PC Office 2010 March Updates Offered Do Not Match Master Patch List

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Just Lurking
        AskWoody Plus

I have an old computer that’s running WinXP. It has Office 2010 installed since around 2011.

I still receive Windows Update patches for that Office 2010 program.

In the last year, or so, there have been several times that the patches offered by Windows Update have not matched Susan Bradley’s Master Patch List listing. When this has happened, typically the Master Patch List has one extra patch that the Windows Update does not have on my system. Up to now, I have not attempted to figure out why this might be happening–I have just accepted that it must be the case for my outdated OS, the Office 2010 patch was not required, at least according to Windows Update.

This month (March, 2020 Updates) is one of those months were the Master Patch List shows 2 Updates to be installed (KB4484237 and KB4484240), but the WinXP’s Windows Update only shows 1 update to be installed (KB4484240). See the screen shots:

(Note: clicking on the screen shots will bring them into a separate web page that’s magnified and easier to see the details.)

PatchLadys-Office-2010-Recommendations

Main-Page-Windows-Update-WinXP-with-elipse

Well, now I have another system that is using Win8.1. This last January, 2020, having an unused copy of Office 2010, I installed it.

And this month’s Windows Update is only offering the same single update, same as the WinXP version of Office 2010 (KB4484240). See screen shot:

4-Important-Updates-4-Checked-0-Unchecked-with-arrow

So, now I have to rethink my assumption that I was not being offered the same number of Updates for Office 2010 because it was installed on an outdated OS. I’m being offered fewer Updates regardless of how up to date the OS is, and I do not know why that’s occurring.

Interestingly enough, I went and looked at the KB4484237 (the Update I am not being offered), and reading through the Description page ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4484237/security-update-for-office-2010-march-10-2020 ), it states the following:

This security update replaces previously released security update 4475598.

That KB number was a link–clicked on it and it took me to its Description page ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4475598/security-update-for-office-2010-december-10-2019 ), and it shows that it was a Dec., 2019 Update, which would have been installed in Jan., 2020 using the AskWoody method. So, went back and looked at my documentation for what I installed back then, and look what I found:

Windows-Update-List-of-Updates-2019-12-Updates-with-arrow

That KB was one of the previous Office 2010 Updates that was in the Master Patch List (1 of 6 Updates), but was not listed in my Windows Update Screen (only 5 Updates, not 6).

So, my question is–should I ignore the fact that the Master Patch List has an Update listed that Windows Update does not offer and just forget about that patch, or should I consider manually downloading the Update from the MS Catalog, and manually installing the Update?

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated …

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2213748 Reply
        Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Office will offer up updates when it sees you are vulnerable.  Sometimes Microsoft doesn’t document all the nuanced ways that you MAY not have vulnerable bits on your machine.  Sometimes I’ve seen that they state that something was only installed with a specific version of Office and it turns out the Home versions don’t have that bit.

When in doubt you can attempt to manually download the file from the catalog, if it still fails to install, then you don’t have that code on your system.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2213773 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I too only received KB4484240 for Word in Office 2010, and did not receive the KB4484237 in my Win 7 WU.  I was wondering the same thing NightOwl.

Win 7 Still Alive, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1

• #2213807 Reply
        Just Lurking
        AskWoody Plus

@ Susan Bradley

Sometimes Microsoft doesn’t document all the nuanced ways that you MAY not have vulnerable bits on your machine.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I guess that’s the question.

According to Charlie, we now have three different OS’s (WinXP, Win7, and Win8.1) that are not triggering MS to offer that second Update.

I wonder if it’s only Win10 that needs that Update?

Anyone out there with Win10 and Office 2010 that can help answer that?

Sometimes I’ve seen that they state that something was only installed with a specific version of Office and it turns out the Home versions don’t have that bit.

Ah–I forgot about that–my *version* of Office 2010 is *Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010*–definitely not the Home version, or I guess there was also a *Student or Academic* version–probably others as well. Have not used that *full version designation* recently.

• #2213811 Reply
        Just Lurking
        AskWoody Plus

@ Charlie

I too only received KB4484240 for Word in Office 2010, and did not receive the KB4484237 in my Win 7 WU.

Thanks for your input.

Raises the question as to whether that 2nd Update is only needed if Office 2010 is installed on a Win10 OS–that’s the only OS missing from the list (well, I guess there’s also Win Vista!).

Let’s see if anyone can offer feedback on the Win10/Office 2010 question.

I’m going to attempt a manual install of the Update downloaded from MS. I’ll report back later with the results.

• #2213818 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

I only received KB4484240 also. Mine is Office 2010 Pro Plus x64 installed on Win8.1.
        Most of the older Office 2010 were installed as x32.
        And there are all sorts of combinations of the different programs packaged under different names Standard, Home & Student, Pro, Business, etc. depending what is included.
        In addition, some updates are only available if you have SP2 installed, etc.

• #2213825 Reply
        Just Lurking
        AskWoody Plus

@ PKCano

I only received KB4484240 also. Mine is Office 2010 Pro Plus x64

and

In addition, some updates are only available if you have SP2 installed, etc.

my *version* of Office 2010 is *Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010*

Okay–add to that–my version is v14.0.7214.5000 (32-bit)–so it is SP2, and 32-bit.

(From here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2687455/description-of-office-2010-service-pack-2

The version number of Office 2010 SP2 is greater than or equal to 14.0.7015.1000.

The version number of Office 2010 SP1 is greater than or equal to 14.0.6029.1000 but less than 14.0.7015.1000.

The version number of the original RTM release of Office 2010 (that is, with no service pack) is greater than or equal to 14.0.4763.1000 but less than 14.0.6029.1000.

)

Yikes, when did this become so complicated 🙂 !

• #2213947 Reply
        Just Lurking
        AskWoody Plus

@ Charlie, et all

I’m going to attempt a manual install of the Update downloaded from MS. I’ll report back later with the results.

So, attempted the manual install of the non-offered KB4484237–here’s the result:

KB4484237-Not-For-My-Office-2010

That was on my WinXP OS. I will try it on my Win8.1 to see if I get any different outcome–but I’m not expecting it.

I’m still wondering if it’s a Win10/Word 2010 issue–as yet undetermined.

Attachments:
      • #2265651 Reply
        abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

KB2428677 was never a public or free update, it’s special Add-in related hotfix that’s available for some enterprises

all updates that rely on KB2428677 are not need or applicable for you (or most Office 2010 installations)

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office 2010 March Updates Offered Do Not Match Master Patch List

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.