News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Office 2019 Pro Plus – Error. Outlook will not open

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2019 for PC Office 2019 Pro Plus – Error. Outlook will not open

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Gordski
        AskWoody Plus

Help welcomed . . . . . .

No.1 yougest daughter has enlisted my assistance with a mystery problem on her newly installed Office 2019 Pro Plus – Outlook email client.
        (OS is Windows 10 – 20H2 Professional)
        Working as a freelance PR consultant in the Healthcare Sector (specifically the UK National Helath Service – NHS) her old version of Office 2007 Enterprise Edition needed to be pensioned off and has been replaced by me with Office 2019 Pro Plus (retail edition).

Two existing email accounts were supposidly transferred (or she attempted to transfer them, unsuccessfully) to the new Outlook 2019 email client. The two mail accounts are a simple personal email, xxxx@hotmail.co.uk and a work email which I believe is an Exchange Server based corporate email account.
        A problem has appeared, in that when an attempt is made to start up Outlook a series of strange messages in accompanied by a yellow triangles with a ! inside pop up and then Outlook promptly shuts down. Consequently the new Outlook 2019 has not successfully been used, as yet.
        All other components of Office 2019 work fine e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
        Error messages  > > >
        1st message:
        The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list
        2nd message:
        Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cannot be opened
        The file C:\users\administrator.lenovo-G550\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\xxxx@hotmail.co.uk.ost
        You must connect to Microsoft Exchange at least once before you can use your Outlook data file (.ost)

I have searched for both .pst and .ost files and neither are to be found anywhere on the computer.
        In an attempt to clear the Outlook problem I uninstalled Office 2019 Pro Plus using  ‘Microsoft Office Uninstall Scrub’ app, the Office removal and cleanup tool.
        Then I reinstalled Office 2019 expecting a nice clean start to enable setting up of Outlook. But unfortunately this was not to be, as the exact same Outlook start up issue still persists when attempting to open Outlook.

Are there any Office Wizards out there that can shed any light on this problem and possibly propose a solution ??
        Any assistance will be gratefully received.

I thank you in anticipation,
        Gordon  (UK)

Susan Bradley
        Manager

Since both folders are OST that tells me that her email is up on a server and not saved on her machine.  PST = the outlook file is saved on your local machine, OST = it’s a copy of what’s on a cloud.  I would delete out the Outlook profile and set them up one at a time.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Gordski
          AskWoody Plus

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
          However, as noted in my first post there are no OST or PST files on the machine.
          If the profile is stored as part of the OST or PST file then in this instance there is neither.
          And unistalling Office 2019 and reinstalling does not resolve the issue either.
          So I am at a loss as what to do next.

b
            AskWoody MVP

What’s listed at Control Panel, Mail, Data Files?

The profile is at Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1149 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for the info so far, so good.

There is only one profile listed and named:    ‘Outlook’.
        There is one data file shown as: gabyxxxxx@hotmail.co.uk.ost

Should I delete / remove either or both of these or delete the Outlook data files folder and set up the  email account a new POP or IMAP ??

Best regards,

Gordon.

b
          AskWoody MVP

Follow Susan’s advice to delete the profile, then add and test personal email first:

I would delete out the Outlook profile and set them up one at a time.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1149 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Gordski
        AskWoody Plus

Hi,

Thank you for the expert advice.
        I have followed your instruction and removed both email accounts. I am pleased to say that the problem has been resolved in record time, and both the Exchange Mail – 365 and Hotmail (IMAP) are up and running perfectly.
        Hotmail was a simple ‘add email account’ procedure and Exchange Mail 365 appeared to auto-pilot itself back into action.

Thank you once again for the providing the solution and ‘quick fix’.

Best regards,
        Gordon.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Office 2019 Pro Plus – Error. Outlook will not open

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.