Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office 2019 won't be supported on older Windows operating systems

Posted on MrBrian Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Office Office 2019 won't be supported on older Windows operating systems

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  win7ner 1 month ago.

• Author

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

From Office 2019 will be Windows 10 exclusive:

“Office 2019 applications will only be supported on a limited number of Windows client and server operating system versions. In particular, Office 2019 will only be supported on the following systems:

Any supported Windows 10 SAC (Semi-Annual Channel) release.
      Windows 10 Enterprise Long Term Servicing Channel 2018.
      The next Long Term Servicing Channel release of Windows Server.

Unless I’m misreading Microsoft’s announcement, Office 2019 won’t be available for Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, or older Server versions.”

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #163965 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

Looks like MS is forcing anyone tied to the Office suite to “upgrade” to Win10.

Those in the general population still using Win7 till 2020 and Win8.1 till 2023 will be stuck with obsolete software. And it will force anyone using Win10 to comply to the 18-month upgrade cycle of “supported Win10.”  This will even apply to Enterprise that does not pay the top-level price for LTSC.

Looks like it’s time to switch to Google Docs!

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #163975 Reply

MrBrian
        AskWoody MVP

Or make sure to get an older version of Office than Office 19 while Microsoft is still selling them.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #164007 Reply

radosuaf
        AskWoody Lounger

Those in the general population still using Win7 till 2020 and Win8.1 till 2023 will be stuck with obsolete software.

I find my Excel 2007 not obsolete at all compared to Excel 2016 I use at work. I’m in no way an advanced user, bo so is 90% of the population.

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit + Windows 10 Mobile 1709 (Lumia 640 LTE)
    • #163972 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

From Office 2019 perpetual volume license products available as Click-to-Run: “Beginning in Office 2019, Office client applications will no longer be available in MSI format. This change in deployment technology does not affect how products are licensed or supported.”

• #163983 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

From Microsoft extends Windows 10 support period, but makes cuts to Office 2019: “A more cynical reader might wonder if this signals the impending death of the LTSC releases entirely—though Microsoft insists to us that it has no plans to drop perpetual Office licenses—or at least a move away from the five-plus-five lifecycle. An organization that favors stability and perpetual licenses that deploys Windows 10 LTSC 2018 and Office 2019 will, in late 2025, be in the peculiar situation of having desktop systems that remain supported for three more years, but with no supported version of Office to actually run on them: Office 2019’s support will have expired, and Office 2022 will require the use of Windows 10 LTSC 2021. One wonders what these systems are supposed to do for the final three years of their supported life.”

• #164329 Reply

b
        AskWoody Lounger

Does anyone know of any organization using Office on LTSC despite Microsoft’s long-standing recommendation against such a combination?

The Long Term Servicing Channel, which is designed to be used only for specialized devices (which typically don’t run Office) such as those that control medical equipment or ATM machines,

Long-term Servicing channel is not intended for deployment on most or all the PCs in an organization; it should be used only for special-purpose devices. As a general guideline, a PC with Microsoft Office installed is a general-purpose device, typically used by an information worker, and therefore it is better suited for the Semi-Annual servicing channel.

Overview of Windows as a service

• #163989 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

Talk about coercive software!!!

What HUBRIS !!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #209374 Reply

pgm554
      AskWoody Lounger

And the war of attrition of what M$ wants vs what the end user needs continues.

• #209406 Reply

Bill C.
      AskWoody Lounger

From Office 2019 perpetual volume license products available as Click-to-Run: “Beginning in Office 2019, Office client applications will no longer be available in MSI format. This change in deployment technology does not affect how products are licensed or supported.”

Note the term “client applications.” On my Office 2010 only the Outlook is a client. The rest do not need to be connected to anything and work independently on their own. LibreOffice will work for me after the transition. I still have a working Office 2003 on the offline WinXP machine and a Wordperfect6 for DOS on an old, 486 dinosaur (Commander Keen lives!!!).

I still say Wordperfect was the Betamax of wordprocessing. Superior to MSWord, but lost the marketing and OEM bundling battles long ago. I still know a number of legal offices using the Corel Wordperfect program.

• #210422 Reply

win7ner
      AskWoody Lounger

Lotus Resurection !

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office 2019 won't be supported on older Windows operating systems

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.