News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office 365 Autoarchive vs Archive – Confusion!!

Posted on petesmst Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Office 365 Autoarchive vs Archive – Confusion!!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  petesmst 3 months ago.

• Author

petesmst
      AskWoody Plus

Confusing?

Users will have noticed that Office 365 and Office 2016 have an “Archive” button in position on the ribbon.  Clicking on it gives a user the option to “move” a selected message to the “Archive” Folder (or any other chosen folder).  Moving messages to the “Archive” folder can also be achieved by pressing backspace when the chosen message is selected.

The foregoing may have created the impression that the “Autoarchive” function is no-longer available, or has been absorbed by the “new” Archive function.  This is not so.  Auto archive  is still available (via File-Options-Advanced-Auto Archive Settings), and the content of folders selected for autoarchiving   are still moved to a separate Archive.pst file.  Similarly, as in the past, right-clicking on a folder and selecting properties will enable specific autoarchiving functions to be selected for the contents of that folder).

In order to avoid possible confusion, perhaps the “new” Archive button on the ribbon should have been given a different name, such as “keep”?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Office 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation12 Pro. WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

• #1838707 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

One thing, if you use the “Archive” button the email is still available via the Outlook search if that is something you need.

--Joe

• #1842293 Reply

petesmst
      AskWoody Plus

I reported my concern to Office watch.com (where the “Archive Button” had recently been reported upon, without mentioning that Autoarchive was still an option), and received the following reply:

“We’ve updated the article accordingly:

https://office-watch.com/2019/archive-in-outlook-365-and-outlook-2016-2019-for-windows/

And you’ll see another article on Archiving in the next few hours.”

Thanks for that,

Peter Deegan”

Office-Watch.com

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Office 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation12 Pro. WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  petesmst. Reason: Corrected a typo

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office 365 Autoarchive vs Archive – Confusion!!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.