News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office 365, Strange Behavior!

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Office 365, Strange Behavior!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I’m on office 365 but there are traces of older versions of office on my computer. When I boot my computer I am confronted by an open, blank Microsoft Word document. To get to my computer I have to click off all sorts of error messages, sometimes 10-15. In my My Documents folder there is a strange file titled: Normal.dotm.

Both Malwarebytes and McAfee tell me I am virus free. Would it be a good idea to change the name of the Normal.dotm file to something like Normal.dotm.old and try to send it to the recycle bin?

• #2210580 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Just a fast search.

Normal.dotm

Normal.dotm is the template upon which all new blank documents are based. It opens whenever you start Microsoft Office Word 2013 and it includes default styles and customizations that control the basic look of your document. Changes you make to Normal.dotm will be applied to documents that you create in the future….

http://www.word-2013-tutorials.com/what-is-normal-dotm/

• #2210697 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

You might look at changing what is enabled at start-up.

Change which apps run automatically at startup in Windows 10

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2211055 Reply
        anonymous

The second suggestion, by Elly, solved my problem!

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office 365, Strange Behavior!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.